Thread: New Glock 30 SF- The First 500 rounds

New Glock 30 SF- The First 500 rounds

I’ve been a 1911 guy for a while now but have always kept a G19 around because, well, its one of the best service pistols of all time. I recently decided to dedicate to one platform, and as much as I love 1911s, I decided to go Glock because I can shoot them well and they are much less maintenance intensive. My life is busy enough with my first kid on the way. I’ve come down to the last 2K rounds of my 9mm stock, but have about 12K worth of .45 reloads, so I did they only rational thing and bought a new gun

Over the past week of ownership I’ve put 510 rounds through it. 10 Speer Gold and 500 of my ball reloads which are just over major power factor for IDPA. In that time I’ve noticed a few things I’m less than pleased with. First, I have the occasional brass case deflected back into my safety glasses. I’ve also had one failure to return to battery and one stove pipe. I’m inclined contribute this to my lower powered ammo vs the recoil spring weight in the Glock. I have had another ftf where the gun just did not strip the bullet from the mag into the chamber. 3 failures in the first 500 is not off to a good start. I am going to try some factory ball in it but was wondering if anyone else experienced something similar with a new manufacture G30?

On the upside, I installed some 10-8 sights and was practicing double taps from concealment on 3X5" index cards @ 12 yards. This is the shortest distance at my closet gun range to practice I have shown some marked improvement in this area since a few months ago when started training more consistently. Dry fire practice pays off.

A friend of mine just bought a 30sf. His first time firing it was at Shivwork's ECQC course a week ago, so something less than 500 rounds.

He didn't have any stoppages in that time. He did have one case hit him in the face on ejection, but that was also shooting from the compressed ready. He didn't have any hit him in the face while shooting at extension.

The only thing I noticed about his 30sf was how awkwardly superb the trigger was. It felt way more crisp and clean than any Glock I've ever handled or fired. It had almost no creep. Again, it was a brand new gun...came in from the distributor on Thursday, he picked it up on Thursday, and shot it that weekend.....so I don't think anything could have been done to it.

ETA: His ammo was Federal Champion from Wal Mart. Fairly anemic loads...

I would try so stouter loads before throwing it away. You may need a lighter recoil spring if you're just hovering above PF floor. My gen 3 34 and gen 4 19 (I know they're both 9s) really prefer a hotter load to a bunny fart load - it makes a major difference in ejection pattern. I also have installed the White Sound HRED in my gen 4 and it makes a huge difference, I'll be putting one in every gen4 I get from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    I would try so stouter loads before throwing it away. You may need a lighter recoil spring if you're just hovering above PF floor. My gen 3 34 and gen 4 19 (I know they're both 9s) really prefer a hotter load to a bunny fart load - it makes a major difference in ejection pattern. I also have installed the White Sound HRED in my gen 4 and it makes a huge difference, I'll be putting one in every gen4 I get from now on.
    Thanks. I definatley am going to work the kinks out. I really like the guns concealability and shootability. As stated above, this one also has a supurb trigger. I dont even feel the need to do a $0.25 trigger job on it.

User Tag List