Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rain gear and other things I should think about for my first training class...

Cooler for food/drinks

If none at the range, a lightweight folding chair, and maybe even a small folding table (for reloading mags, working on gun, eating . . . or use your cooler, or small tarp).

Microfiber cloth for cleaning glasses, optics, etc.

Second the FroggToggs: cheap, work well, and good to store in your vehicle afterward

Hand towel, for rain, sweat, etc.

Spare footwear & socks, just in case rain stops.

Backup weapon, or at least spare parts (springs, striker/firing pin)

If you're not used to high round count days, maybe some moleskin to put on any developing hot spots (or gloves, or bandaid/flextape)

Don't hesitate to ask questions. Explaining and understanding don't work the same for everybody. If something isn't clear, ask for clarification.

Enjoy!!

I always bring more ammo than what is quoted in the class description. I doubt I have ever exceeded the specified amount however it's comforting knowing that I have more available. That has been my practice through many classes. I have seen a few people get nervous on day #2 when they think they may run out. If you bring extra that thought never invades your mind and you can concentrate on the class, not worrying.

Banned
    It's been said but bring a bunch of magazines.

Extra holster
    Extra ear protection
    Extra eye protection
    Extra pair of glasses if you wear them
    Wet wipes
    Lens wipes

Antiacids
    Aspirin/Ibuprofen

Extra socks
    Extra underwear.

Something to write with and something to write on

Site Supporter
    A small 10’x10’ pop up canopy can be had from Wally World or the like for about $50. It should be good for about 3 training seasons. They are the cat’s meow for remote or unimproved ranges. Keeps you/gear in the shade or out of the rain during down time. Sharing cover with fellow students is a good thing too.

Gatorade or similar and easy to eat snacks. You can push through bad weather, blisters, or a chewed up hand, but dehydration and lack of nutrition tend to degrade thinking, and therefore safety.

Site Supporter
    I want to second all the gear and specifically mention extra footwear! Been in the mud slog in classes and matches - great have a pair. Some trash bags to put the muddy clothes in, so you don't mess up the vehicle. Extra hat. Hand wipes. I always use them before driving off the range if I don't get to the washroom.

AND: Chocolate bars - they really hit the spot during a break, after lunch or on a drive home. Have enough to share. Hershey's with Almonds works fine.

Extra ammo, I'm now carrying a box of 100 9mm, 45 and 38 SPL in the SHTF box in the back. Worked out for a friend when his AR went belly up and he had to finish a match with his 1911 but didn't have enough. Same for my when my AR did the same and I finished with a Glock 19.

Ear plugs also. When lots of carbines, I have them under my electronic muffs.

Oh - the manuals for the complex stuff, the sights, lights, rifles, etc. Never know when you need to look something up.

ID emergency info for family, next of kin. Some classes ask you to supply it but good to have going to and fro.

I keep an aspirin in my wallet, in case the ticker decides to take me out again. That's besides the meds in the packed kit.

A lot of great suggestions. Thank you all!

Site Supporter
    Car or truck or SUV that can get through some mud and water. Twice, I've seen the crappy roads out of a range give pause to an unsuitable vehicle. In one case, leaving after a rainy carbine class, a Mazda Miata dug in to half way up its tires in mud. Had to be pulled it.

Lots of ranges are on the end of Deliverance Avenue. Remember the instructions to one range: If you miss our turn - don't ask for directions at the next house after where our turn was supposed to be. You will be sorry.

The banjos were playing. The hounds were loose.

Lots of similarities between matches and classes in terms of “other stuff” to bring.

I like a big insulated cooler jug for ice water, rather than disposable bottles in a cooler. Coleman makes good cheap ones. But still bring the cooler for your gatorade and snacks.

Some kind of cart or wagon to haul your crap around (learned that at my first 3-gun match) unless you can back your car right up to the firing line. Folding beach wagon is good; jogging strollers roll better on rough terrain and keep your rifle muzzle-down. You can attach a shade umbrella to one of these as well, but the popup canopy would be nicer..

Clear and tinted (sunglass) safety glasses if you have them.

I’d make sure your medical kit has more than just major trauma/blowout gear in it; I’ve gotten minor but bloody injuries before and needed gauze wrap and stretchy tape to wrap them up.

Bring a working staple gun and some staples so you can pitch in to speed things up or save the day when the instructor’s one craps out. Maybe a sharpie or two, and some jumbo binder clips too.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

Strongly suggest packing your own meals in a cooler to eat there, even if there's places to eat nearby. The best conversations I've had were with other classmates during lunchbreaks. If you venture into town, it's usually a minimum of 5 minutes away because ranges by their nature have to be a distance from the city. So that's 10 minutes of travel time minimum plus ordering food, waiting in line adds another 5 minutes minimum. Usually though, it will wind up being 30 to 40 minutes of wasted time and only 20 to 30 minutes of "lunch" and even if your classmates all go to the same place to eat, you now have half the conversation opportunities.

Also, suggest eating really clean and healthy. A salad with chicken. Nuts for dessert. You don't want to eat heavy and go into a food coma for the first hour or two of the afternoon class session.

If you have a spare gun, bring it. If yours goes down, you can switch to the backup instead of wasting class time fixing the issue.

Also, if traveling out of town and using a hotel, I would ask the host for advice on which hotel to stay and where to eat at night the first night you go. The host will usually know which hotels/motels are most convenient and less crackhead/prostitute filled.

User Tag List