Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rain gear and other things I should think about for my first training class...

May I also suggest a Winnebago to haul all your gear

All of the above is great advice. I'll give you some of my hard lessons learned:

1. Hydrate. Like CRAZY. Every break, if you're not peeing and it's not clear, you're setting yourself up for a potential problem
    2. Dress for the climate. If you're over dressed, and under hydrated, you might end up a heat casualty and, BEST CASE, miss valuable instruction - worst case can be really WORST. If you're under dressed, you won't be able to operate and peak, and absorb what you're being told.
    3. Have spares of everything you can afford to buy in duplicates - gun, holster, eye pro, ear pro, mags
    4. Sunscreen and bug spray are musts. I keep several different kinds in my range bag at all times
    5. Take a good pen and paper, and take notes

Site Supporter
    Academy around here has a great folding cart for fifty bucks. Four wheel and comes in camouflage. It’s the cheap choice in my circles. Hauls more stuff than those modified folks/baby deals that are expensive.
    Also if you have a bad back or are an old fart, some kind of folding seat. My back is a flaming horror now.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    All of the above is great advice. I'll give you some of my hard lessons learned:

1. Hydrate. Like CRAZY. Every break, if you're not peeing and it's not clear, you're setting yourself up for a potential problem
    2. Dress for the climate. If you're over dressed, and under hydrated, you might end up a heat casualty and, BEST CASE, miss valuable instruction - worst case can be really WORST. If you're under dressed, you won't be able to operate and peak, and absorb what you're being told.
    3. Have spares of everything you can afford to buy in duplicates - gun, holster, eye pro, ear pro, mags
    4. Sunscreen and bug spray are musts. I keep several different kinds in my range bag at all times
    5. Take a good pen and paper, and take notes
    Cannot agree with you more on "Hydrate" and "Sunscreen / bug spray". OP, you'll definitely thank yourself for remembering the sunscreen and probably meet a lot of new people if you're the "sunscreen guy". Seems like there is always one person in class who needs it but forgot it.

Along with the hydrate theme, I found wearing a Camelbak to be extremely useful, and more convenient than water bottles.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Along with the hydrate theme, I found wearing a Camelbak to be extremely useful, and more convenient than water bottles.
    This. And in the summer, buy an extra bladder or two. There are pretty inexpensive ones out there. Fill them about 75% and freeze em. It will degrade the material over time so I don’t do it with my best ones, but it’s really nice to be able to throw a little cool on your back on a really hot day.

I really like to take Nuun tabs for extra hydration boost and to share with people. You can even get ones with caffeine if you aren’t a morning person.

I can’t agree more with packing your lunch and eating pretty clean. Best lunch breaks I ever had were at a Langdon class because the only folks that packed were myself, one student and Ernest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you aren't used to standing for 6-8 hours, you may not pay particular attention to your feet. I would always make a point of trimming my toenails, bringing an extra pair of socks or two, and a different pair of shoes. Sometimes when your dogs are tired, getting into a different, but still, suitable pair can sort of move the assorted pressure points and whatnot around.

I would second (or third) the Marmot Precip as a decent, packable rain jacket. It isn't perfect, so if you try to climb a mountain in it, it will make you bathed in sweat, but it will serve for your purposes.

Not sure if somebody said it, but if you need eyeglasses, bring two pair.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List