Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rain gear and other things I should think about for my first training class...

Rain gear and other things I should think about for my first training class...

I have my first class next month, and I want to make sure I have prepared ahead of time to ensure I can absorb as much knowledge as possible. What light weight rain gear would you recommend that won’t break the bank? What other gear do you recommend folks take to training that they don’t think about?

Maglula - Uplula to help you load mags more quickly. The link is to the pistol version, but that isn't the only version.

https://smile.amazon.com/Maglula-ltd.../dp/B01MQTZVZY

Plastic / metal ammo can to dump your cartridges in to keep near you on the firing line while your main stash is further back with your drinks / cooler / handy wipes (before eating and drinking) / basic first-aid kit / etc...

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Sunblock
    Bug spray
    Toilet tissue
    Cold drinks - bring enough to share - it's cheap insurance
    Medical stuff - plenty of threads on here.
    Baseball-style hat
    Electronic ear protection - replace the batteries prior to every class, and bring fresh spare batteries.
    Wrap-around eye protection
    Note-taking gear in a zip-loc bag
    Zip-loc bag for your cell phone and wallet
    Vittles for you and extra for the inevitable person who thought they would have a 2-hour lunch break.

And most of all, a humble attitude and an eye for safety. Leave your ego in the parking lot, but bring plenty of watchfulness and caution.

If you are not reloading mags, hydrating or taking notes, then you should be reloading mags or hydrating.

Banned
    I've been carrying one of these for 10 years. It's still in good shape

https://sierradesigns.com/mens-microlight-2-jacket/

It's packable so I keep it in my work bag
    Last edited by Cypher; 05-04-2019 at 09:07 PM.

Site Supporter
    Columbia also has some great lightweight rain gear that's reasonably priced.

https://www.columbia.com/mens-rain-jackets-coats/

For a light weight rain jacket the Marmot Precip can be had for $50 or so, has pit zips, is lightweight and breathable.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I’m a FroggToggs fan. Wore mine out in the rain all afternoon today teaching a class. Dry as can be.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Some kind of lead-removing wipes or cleanser.

Cleaning kit/tools/squib rod.

First aid kit/trauma kit.

Edit: How many magazines do you have? Get more.

Do you have electronic hearing protection, i.e., electronic ear muffs? a great help.

Edit 2: Check the round count for the class, and take extra.
    Last edited by Drang; 05-04-2019 at 11:29 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Regarding the squib rod, I keep a piece of dowel rod in my range bags. I've never needed it until my last class. It broke, but fortunately some else had a brass squib rod. I had a spare gun, so I would have been okay, but I was glad to finish the class with my 19 instead of my 17.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Regarding the squib rod, I keep a piece of dowel rod in my range bags. I've never needed it until my last class. It broke, but fortunately some else had a brass squib rod. I had a spare gun, so I would have been okay, but I was glad to finish the class with my 19 instead of my 17.
    I probably should have shared this link. Again.
    AmazonSmile: 360 Brass Round Rod, Unpolished (Mill) Finish, H02 Temper, ASTM B16, 0.3125" Diameter, 12" Length: Industrial & Scientific
    The items sold as range or squib rods are often/usually plastic, and also subject to breakage.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List