Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Are 1911s in 9mm as reliable as those in .45acp'?

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Might not be worth messing with. Super, .45, and 9 all cost about the same when they’re reloaded.
    Yeah, everything is pretty much the same price once you are reloading. But with the chatter about the reliability of the Super I am just throwing out the idea that the best answer might be, as it always is, both.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Not when you factor in the cost of brass. This is the sole reason gamers are going major 9 in their 2011 Open Division guns. If it wasn’t for the huge price difference (I have access to free 9 brass), I’d never had switched.
    Yeah, I admit I like shooting nine and not worrying about collecting casings. Don't get me wrong, I still collect the cases, but most weeks I come home with a big Crown Royal bag of the stuff because we have to pick it up rather than litter up the place we have access to. But we wait until there are a few on the ground before we start bending over...

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Not when you factor in the cost of brass. This is the sole reason gamers are going major 9 in their 2011 Open Division guns. If it wasn’t for the huge price difference (I have access to free 9 brass), I’d never had switched.
    I can dig it in a competition setting (for .38 Super -- .45 just isn't that hard, and lasts *forever*). For SD use it doesn't move the needle much -- I generally recover 90%+ of my brass, which back when I was actually practicing meant I'd lose 500 cases a year, $90, who gives a crap.

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    This is a 2011 SACS build. Its my only 9mm 1911. It flat out shoots but its not a defensive piece. Never has given me a bit of trouble.

these are the only mags ever used in my SACS (9 rounders)

I run 1100 FPS reloads or 147 TMJ.

Yes....thats a shok buff. been running one in there since day one on a tungsten FLGR.
    Those are the best 9mm 1911 mags there are.

And set hair on fire: A Shok-Buff increases reliability in a properly built 1911.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    This is a 2011 SACS build. Its my only 9mm 1911. It flat out shoots but its not a defensive piece. Never has given me a bit of trouble.

these are the only mags ever used in my SACS (9 rounders)

I run 1100 FPS reloads or 147 TMJ.

Yes....thats a shok buff. been running one in there since day one on a tungsten FLGR.
    Thanks for the pic with the Brownells part number. I'll pick a couple up to try out.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Those are the best 9mm 1911 mags there are.

And set hair on fire: A Shok-Buff increases reliability in a properly built 1911.
    In your experience, do the 9mm mag issues talked about up thread still appear with these?

I have a couple of the $21 Mec Gar magazines from Greg Cote. They are a bit of a different design but are feeding well so far.
    https://gregcotellc.com/cart/1911-me...fc-p-1586.html
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I would not lose a wink of sleep if I had to depend on my Dave Sams tuned 9mm SA Operator. I tuned it's extractor myself about a thousand rounds ago and it's been running like one of my Gen 5 Glocks. Before that I'd noticed erratic patterns developing but it ran.

All 6-7K rounds so far have been through Wilson 10 rounders. No drama. That's what I'd use for it.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I would not lose a wink of sleep if I had to depend on my Dave Sams tuned 9mm SA Operator. I tuned it's extractor myself about a thousand rounds ago and it's been running like one of my Gen 5 Glocks. Before that I'd noticed erratic patterns developing but it ran.

All 6-7K rounds so far have been through Wilson 10 rounders. No drama. That's what I'd use for it.

If you had problems develop and had to tune the extractor it’s not running right.

Guns that run don’t need extractors tuned. The extractor should last at least as long as the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Hstanton1 View Post
    In your experience, do the 9mm mag issues talked about up thread still appear with these?
    Yeah but they run better because they’re 9 rounders instead of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    If you had problems develop and had to tune the extractor it’s not running right.

Guns that run don’t need extractors tuned. The extractor should last at least as long as the barrel.
    The problem observed was ejection was erratic. That went away. (shrug) Am I mistaken to be following Hilton Yam's 5K rounds rule of thumb guideline?

Question: seems to me the 9mm extractor needs so much bow that it's a bitch to remove for cleaning.
    I've seen other folks make reference to that. I believe I jacked this one up removing it too frequently.

My previously solid Gen 3 RTF2 G19 has had more trouble running this year. Mechanical things are mechanical I guess.
    Last edited by JHC; 12-28-2020 at 02:15 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List