Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Are 1911s in 9mm as reliable as those in .45acp'?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Is HK building 1911s now?
    Nope.

Just the consequences of dropping a partially loaded Wilson 9mm 1911 magazine. When it hit the ground there was enough physics going on to take the spring tension off the top round in the magazine while prompting it to spin 180 degrees inside the feed lips before being caught again by the mag spring.

I've seen magazines spit ammunition when dropped before, but I've never seen one flip the rounds the wrong way.

As attested to above, magazines have a tendency to go from "works great!" to "eat shit and die" real quick, probably because they don't like being dropped while partially loaded.

Among other provocations that other magazines never complain about.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Just got back from the initial range outing with my Colt New Agent 9mm. I tweaked the extractor before even firing the gun because it was without tension whatsoever.

How these guns ever leave the factory with no ability to eject rounds is beyond me.

A few observations. I dislike XS sights. They'll be the first thing to go.

The gun cycles and ejects pretty decently. I haven't run the full 10-8 extractor test yet, but I did do an abbreviated version with a two hand hold and no magazine and it ejected every casing to 3'oclock.

Ironic that this gun is already more reliable off the bat than my Combat Commander was.

With some decent sights I might get to like this gun. A little heavy for 8+1, but most of my shit is 1911 shit and I'm interested in the gun as proof of my concept that the best way to get a shorty 1911 to run is get a shorty 1911 in 9mm.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    This thread makes me like the idea of a .38super or 10mm @.40 s&w +p velocities for actual use, with maybe a second fitted barrel in 9 or .40 depending on the gun for practice/games.
    I'm quickly coming to the opinion that the most reliable 9mm 1911 is a .38 Super.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I'm quickly coming to the opinion that the most reliable 9mm 1911 is a .38 Super.
    As fun as 9mm 1911’s are to shoot, if I was going to get back into 1911’s, I’d go with a DW Guardian in .38 Super.

You could buy a nice 38 Super and get a 9mm barrel. FMJ would probably run fine on the range in the 38 magazines.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    You could buy a nice 38 Super and get a 9mm barrel. FMJ would probably run fine on the range in the 38 magazines.
    Might not be worth messing with. Super, .45, and 9 all cost about the same when they’re reloaded.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I'm going the other way. At some point™ I'm going to get a Super barrel for my 9mm SW1911...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

This is a 2011 SACS build. Its my only 9mm 1911. It flat out shoots but its not a defensive piece. Never has given me a bit of trouble.

these are the only mags ever used in my SACS (9 rounders)

I run 1100 FPS reloads or 147 TMJ.

Yes....thats a shok buff. been running one in there since day one on a tungsten FLGR.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Might not be worth messing with. Super, .45, and 9 all cost about the same when they’re reloaded.
    Not when you factor in the cost of brass. This is the sole reason gamers are going major 9 in their 2011 Open Division guns. If it wasn’t for the huge price difference (I have access to free 9 brass), I’d never had switched.

I'm going the other way. At some point™ I'm going to get a Super barrel for my 9mm SW1911...
    That is my plan as well, At some point™

User Tag List