Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Are 1911s in 9mm as reliable as those in .45acp'?

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    True. I picked up a Colt Government yesterday... the long trigger was definitely a stretch for my stubby fingers. The SA MilSpec I shot recently felt better, honestly--I think it had the short trigger.
    Name:  Options.JPG
Views: 713
Size:  50.8 KB
    The difference can be significant.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Yeah, I could definitely feel the difference. Interesting to see it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Wish I could tell you! I don't have one yet. That's my next buy and I'm just waiting to pay for my wife's dental work and quarterly taxes, before I order one. But comparatively speaking, the .45 Officer's I have is a lot harder to shoot well and it's smaller, but similar in weight to a CCO. I think the 9mm CCO is a sweet spot. I'm trying to remember who has one around here, maybe @theJanitor or @StraitR

FWIW, I've seen street prices for the Vigil as low as 1000, typically in the 1100 range.
    That's a damn good deal. But yeah, I hear you on... waiting. My GF just took 6 months off work to finish her dissertation. Definitely cut into the gun budget. The single/reasonably-well-employed years were kind to my... habit.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 05-05-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Bill Wilson convinced me that they're more reliable when built right due to the lower mass and the taper locks the cartridge in the mag pretty much eliminating inertia feeding.
    I still see nose diving, even with Wilson ETM magazines, due to the case taper. My 9x19 1911-pattern pistols are for fun, not for anything serious.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post

I am in another boat.

I need the longest trigger.

My DW Valkyrie....I can definitely feel the shorter medium trigger.

I sent an email to Harrison for LEO pricing but I must have hit his spam. I will call tomorrow. I want a black trigger.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Wish I could tell you! I don't have one yet. That's my next buy and I'm just waiting to pay for my wife's dental work and quarterly taxes, before I order one. But comparatively speaking, the .45 Officer's I have is a lot harder to shoot well and it's smaller, but similar in weight to a CCO. I think the 9mm CCO is a sweet spot. I'm trying to remember who has one around here, maybe @theJanitor or @StraitR

FWIW, I've seen street prices for the Vigil as low as 1000, typically in the 1100 range.
    I had DW build me one a few years ago before it was a standard offering. Great gun. I handled a Vigil CCO last week and wouldn’t hesitate to buy one.

Site Supporter
    The answer is a resounding "it depends"

My Colt Commander 9mm rides in my holster pretty much whenever I carry. JHP, FMJ, Wilson mags, Colt factory mags, metalform 10 round mags...it works well with all of the above. Federal HST is my preference.

I also own a 5" Kimber stainless target, 9mm which has been reliable as well. I think a ramped barrel will be more reliable.

The caveat here of course is that I tuned the guns to get them to run. "Tuned" here meaning bent an extractor and installed some new magazine springs.

If you are able to use a few basic hand tools and the internet search button a 1911 can be made to run as well as any other gun.

My thoughts are that a 9mm 1911 will be more reliable and easier to carry as a Commander or Officer or CCO model...but more fun as a government model.

Use a gun with correct extractor tension, good mags with good springs in them and you'd be shocked how few problems you'll have. You might need to avoid powder puff sub-minor power factor 115 gr 9mm ammo in a full sized gun though.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I still see nose diving, even with Wilson ETM magazines, due to the case taper. My 9x19 1911-pattern pistols are for fun, not for anything serious.
    Yep.

I'm only 2250rds into my 1911 journey thus far, all of em through a Springer RO Operator in 9mm. In the first 650rds, the gun had 15 FTEs and erratic ejection. I checked tension on the extractor and there basically wasn't any. After I tensioned the extractor, the gun has gone 1600rds without a malfunction of any kind. The gun was lubed at round 0 and at approximately round 800. The gun hasn't been cleaned yet, other than an initial wipe down when it first came out of the box.

I'm not sure if I should buy lotto tickets, or if Springfield has started to figure out the whole 5" 9mm thing. Either way I'm pleased with it thus far.

Newer ETMs might be different

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I still see nose diving, even with Wilson ETM magazines
    I believe current ETMs have the little ramp tweak to address this:
    Name:  Current ETM.JPG
Views: 676
Size:  29.4 KB
    Don't know if there is a timeline for this, but mine were probably bought no longer than three years ago. The Brownells brand mags also have this, but they might not have it right and might even be why they didn't consistently drop free. Not sure where my four Ruger mags are, will probably dig them out later and check.

ETA: I just remembered where the Ruger mags were, they do NOT have the tweak.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 05-06-2019 at 09:39 AM.

User Tag List