Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Are 1911s in 9mm as reliable as those in .45acp'?

RFI: Are 1911s in 9mm as reliable as those in .45acp'?

There's conflicting data out there. Some folks advise that 1911 pattern pistols are unreliable in 9mm chambering. The point of contention is that the .45 acp design was for a cartridge length 1.275" whereas the 9mm is only 1.169". The OAL difference is said to create random chambering problems in the 9mm caliber.

But some competitive shooters recognize the difference in lengths, but say it's of no import and 1911s in 9mm are as reliable as the larger calibers.

I am confused. Are 1911s equally reliable in both .45 and 9mm? If so what have the manufacturers done to make it so? What are the facts?

Prepare for continued non-consensus.

In my experience (which is limited) 4-4.25” Commander length guns tend to be the most reliable in 9mm, where 5” guns a little less so. That’s counter to the experience of say @M2CattleCo -

I think OAL used to be a problem, before magazines were improved. Today, Wilson and Tripp have good 9mm single stack mags and STI has redesigned the double-stack 2011 mag to function much better in 9mm (the old versions required a spacer, the new ones have a redesigned feedlip profile and follower that move the bullets forward in lieu of a spacer, much better).

In addition, 9mm extractors and ejectors have become much better than in the past. And spring weights have finally been really settled on. You may still find the occasional gun that needs spring weights adjusted to run hotter (or softer) ammo. But the range of springs available is basically one pound increments from 10-24 in full size and Commander guns (14-32 in officers guns).

In short - maybe the 9mm are less reliable than .45. Certainly that was true ~20 years ago. Today though? Probably not. Incremental adjustments to ejectors, extractors, magazines, and recoil spring weights have brought everything around.

If you are happy with 9 rounds of hardball, circa 1950 Army trials, OK.

If you want more shots of different styles, I think you need an integral ramp barrel which may need modification to convert it into a FEED ramp.
    At least that is where I am.
    My Colt 1991A1 plain barrel is strictly a hardball gun, although it is ok with good 10x9 magazines like CMC XP (discontinued by Wilson management.) Has a replacement ejector.
    My SA Mixmaster A took some recontouring of its integral ramp for good feeding, although that was just part of the project. Has a replacement extractor.
    My SA Ultra Compact (discontinued vs EMP) took a lot of recontouring of its integral ramp to feed JHP.
    My STI Eagle (discontinued) feeds roundnose and flatpoint, it need not handle anything else for USPSA.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 05-04-2019 at 01:26 PM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

http://pistol-training.com/archives/8491

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....field-9mm-1911

While 9 mm 1911's have come a long way, the 5" steel .45 Auto 1911 is still likely the most reliable and durable version. Having said that, a 9 mm LWC is very nice.

For that matter, I am honored to have Todd's back-up steel 5" 9 mm test-gun and it runs just fine--even after the RDS was added....

Name:  TLG 1911 RMR.jpg
Views: 2671
Size:  38.4 KB
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Sample size of two 9mms, although distinctly different, and both mentioned previously in other threads here. A Wilson CQB-E (five-inch steel), that's been extremely reliable from the beginning, and it still is, with any ammo I've tried in it. And a Colt New Agent (three-inch, alloy frame), worked over by Ned Christiansen, which has been equally reliable. The New Agent ran ball and several common defensive loads but stumbled on a couple of others prior to going to Ned for sights and tweaking. After Ned did his magic, it's been flawless. The Wilson is a range gun, but I have no qualms carrying the New Agent.

There’s been several threads on this, but I’ve had very good luck with 9mm 1911’s. Been shooting them quite a bit since 2011 or so. I think I’ve had 4 4.25” Dan Wesson lightweight Commanders, a custom Dan Wesson lightweight CCO, 2 steel DW Commanders, 2 lightweight Wilson Combat Commanders, and a 3.5” Dan Wesson Officers model.

The only one I had issues with was the 1st Wilson that had an out of spec chamber.

I’ve carried them on duty, shot them in classes, competition, etc., and never had any issues.

The key with a 9mm 1911 is to buy one from a manufacturer that knows what they’re doing. And that means you’re probably going to have to spend some money.

Hammertime
    I’ve had two 9mm 1911s both Springfield Range Officers, full sized, Compact.

Neither were total dogs, but neither demonstrated the boring reliability I have come to expect as normal from 9mm service sized handguns.

I do think the extra cycling power of .45 and the fact that 9mm doesn’t really like single stack magazines can contribute to .45 being a better choice in the 1911.

Equally reliable? No

Reliable enough? Depends on how much you want to spend tinkering with magazine and spring combinations. You do like to tinker, don’t you?
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Equally reliable? No

Reliable enough? Depends on how much you want to spend tinkering with magazine and spring combinations. You do like to tinker, don’t you?
    So much this.

I generally find the .45 to have an edge over the 9mm in 1911 reliability, but that isn't to say a 9mm can't be reliable. I'll add in my experience that the 9mm requires more frequent maintenance and lubrication than its .45 counterpart. Invest the time vetting your gun/magazine/ammunition combination.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

One of the reasons I'm planning on getting a 1911 is because I am an enthusiast/ tinkerer.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List