View Poll Results: 22LR out to 200yds for fun, bolt or semi?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Build a T1X to match the 700

14 66.67%
  • Build a 10/22 that sort of matches the 700

2 9.52%
  • Who cares if it's only 200yds, buy a 6 Creed RPR and quit overthinking

1 4.76%
  • Posters here are shit

3 14.29%
  • Mods here are shit

1 4.76%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22LR out to 200yds for fun, bolt or semi?

.22LR out to 200yds for fun, bolt or semi?

I've got a little bit of an itch to do some "long range" or "precision shooting". My normal procedure is to go all in and then realize afterwards I don't have the time, resources or location to make use of the money pit I just built. This time I'm trying to think this through as logically as I can. Realistically, I'm going to be restricted to 200yds because that's the limit of the range I belong to and I know it's not going to be feasible for me to find a longer range that I can afford or make use of.

IOW:

6.5 Creed, etc don't even get out of bed for 200yds. Heck, I could build up a chassis rifle in .223 and make a go of this (and that idea is a distant third place). Or just throw a KRG Bravo on my 700AAC-SD and drive on (which is part of Plan A). .223 and .308 would be interesting but not super challenging (usually). Then I saw guys at Rimfire Central and Sniper's Hide taking the .22LR out to 200m+ which struck me a an interesting solution for my situation.

So what I'm kicking around is a .22 rifle that will be a useful trainer for the 700 that I can take out to 200yds off the bench (no prone allowed at the range) and can give a decent account of itself if I decide to play in the monthly informal 50yd .22 BR matches at our club.

Right now, Plan A is to get a KRG Bravo for the 700, then pick up a Tikka T1X and and build it into a baby brother to the .308 including the KRG stock since they show the T1X in their inlet list.

Plan B is a 10/22 build dropped into a Victor Titan stock. It would be a (marginally) cheaper route but it wouldn't be a direct training equivalent to the 700 build mechanically speaking.

As I see it, the Tikka is almost a plug and play solution since it's a matter of changing the stock but I'd have to order one in to my dealer and mags are more expensive than 10/22 mags. And Tikka is known to build accurate rifles so while it won't hang with a dedicated .22 BR rifle, it would be more of me embarrassing the rifle instead of the other way around.

The 10/22 has the plus of I can walk into 4 shops near me and be back home with a new or used one in under an hour and it might hold it's own on the BR line but the trigger would probably have to go out to someone like Brimstone, I'd be replacing the stock and sporter weight barrel right off the bat and while the 10/22 has cheaper mags they can be finicky.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    I voted Tikka.

I found myself in the same situation in becoming interested precision rifle, but limited by range. I went with a CZ 455. I bought it with the intent of dropping it into a KRG chassis, although I haven’t done so yet. My thought was that the bolt action would better mimic the rifle I would want if I gained access to a range with some distance to it.

While I was looking at ranges with greater distance, I noticed that many in my area (New England) limited 22 to the 100 yard range. It might be worth checking to make sure you can shoot your new gun at the distance you want.

My second choice is build a rifle in 223.

Vudoo.

https://vudoogunworks.com/

I went through the 10-22, CZ 455, Anchutz MPR stuff and ended up with a Vudoo. You won't be sorry. Big thread about the Vudoo on Snipers Hide. We're taking the Vudoos out to 300 and beyond around here.

This is 317 yards with my Vudoo. Name:  IMG_2879.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  63.9 KB

Site Supporter
    I bought a used Ruger 22 RPR clone precision rifle. I have been using it as a practice rifle attempting to shoot small groups for trigger control and then practicing position shooting on small plates. Lots of fun and the Ruger 22 RPR clone is reasonably priced.

I have a full custom Ruger 10-22 left over from my Chevy Truck Challenge days but it is the back of the safe.

I vote Tikka T1x. I only have about 250 rds through mine so far, but I really like what I’m seeing so far with SK Standard. I just bought a variety of match Ammo to see if it has a preference.

And suppressed is just way too much fun.

I think .22s are boring--except for "ELR" type shooting and killing vermin. Hitting 12x24" steel at 200-300 yds in wind is no joke.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-04-2019 at 01:27 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Most guys don't realize what people are doing with airguns now.

I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

you can see the pellet kick up dirt in the background after it has passed through the prairie dog

Last edited by UNK; 05-04-2019 at 03:03 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I was thinking about the CZ457 Varmint Precision.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-457-va...-trainer-camo/

I think it depends on your budget. The options you have are all fine. I agree a .22 trainer would help improve your shooting.

I have been shooting .22 LR at ranges up to two hundred yards after reading about it in a book by Sam Fadala. I currently use a Volquartsen Deluxe in a McMillan stock topped with a Leupold 24X scope. Learning how the wind impacts the bullet's flight is quite the challenge and a lot of fun.

User Tag List