Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: OK ex-cop acquitted in shooting of unarmed man now an NRA Instructor

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but there were 2 officers at the suspect, one of whom had his taser out.
    She testified at the trial that she wasn't aware that the other officer was there -- which I can see being very possible watching the video.

He said if he were the only officer at the scene, he would not trust his life to it. Officer Shelby was not alone at the time she shot Terence Crutcher, Officer Tyler Turnbough was present. However, Shelby testified on Monday that she was so focused on Crutcher, she did not realize Turnbough - who had his Taser drawn - was standing next to her.

https://www.newson6.com/story/354410...l-judge-denies

According to FBI crime statistics unarmed men kill more people than men armed with rifles and shotguns combined.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...guns-combined/

To take a different tack on this, here are my Dos Centivos.

While the case details have little direct relevance to her ability to teach basic pistol classes, her legal experience is definitely relevant. Anyone who plans to interact with firearms frequently should be made immediately aware of the legal risks involved with that choice; any and all who keep and bear arms face a nonzero chance of ending up in a legal dispute as this ex LEO did, regardless of the specific facts.

Even if your particular shoot is ruled justified by every agency involved you can still lose your reputation, job, social standing and financial assets in the aftermath. These are points new shooters need to understand, and Shelby is one of the few NRA instructors with firsthand knowledge of these important subjects. In that respect, she is one of the most qualified individuals to run a Basic Pistol class.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    It this like a substance abuse counseling model, where you get up and testify to your sins and failures? Is that the suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    According to this article, (which states that the Feds didn't pursue federal criminal civil rights charges) she's still employed as a deputy with another agency. (Also sounds like civil litigation brought by the family is ongoing.)

Wood said Shelby is moving forward with her life, working as a deputy with the Rogers County Sheriff's Office, but some days are harder than others.

https://www.newson6.com/story/400533...crutcher-death

https://www.newson6.com/story/382100...fter-acquittal
    I live in the county in which she is currently employed and am personal friends with Sheriff Scott Walton (former Tulsa Police Officer) who hired her. I also have a buddy who has been her partner for a year or so on the road. According to him, she is a good cop and likes working with her. She was also supposed to teach a course for officers on how to deal with the aftermath of an OIS but the Crutcher family made a big stink about it.
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    So going by the standard of objective reasonableness you think that, given what the officers knew at the time, there was no way they could have thought a medical condition like diabetes, or a mental imbalance could have been involved?
    Wasn't an encounter with someone suffering from a diabetic emergency while appearing to be a robbery suspect exactly the scenario that led to the Graham standard being developed by SCOTUS?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Wasn't an encounter with someone suffering from a diabetic emergency while appearing to be a robbery suspect exactly the scenario that led to the Graham standard being developed by SCOTUS?
    Yes.

User Tag List