Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 30S

Glock 30S

Anyone running one? Happy? Known issues? How much girthier is the grip compared to a Glock 26 Gen 4 with the smallest back strap?
    Have a chance to grab one at a good price, but haven't seen or handled it yet.
    I'm not finding a lot of info out there, except that SIS likes them, which says something. Oh and lots of gun writer reviews.
    I would much rather hear from someone who is an actual end user, not just a reviewer for a gun rag.
    TIA

Tag.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

The grip of the 30S is the same as the G30SF, which puts it in the "significantly fatter than a G26 grip" category.

I've been tempted to get one a few times (used to have a plain-Jane G30), but haven't pulled the trigger, so to speak. I have read, anecdotally, that the 30S lacks the accuracy of the "regular" G30, which enjoys awesome accuracy (some say the best of all stock Glocks). But, at this point, I'm only parroting what I've heard, so I'll stop now.

I think you’re parroting Mas. I’ll forgive you.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Under View Post
    The grip of the 30S is the same as the G30SF, which puts it in the "significantly fatter than a G26 grip" category.

I've been tempted to get one a few times (used to have a plain-Jane G30), but haven't pulled the trigger, so to speak. I have read, anecdotally, that the 30S lacks the accuracy of the "regular" G30, which enjoys awesome accuracy (some say the best of all stock Glocks). But, at this point, I'm only parroting what I've heard, so I'll stop now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 43Under View Post
    I have read, anecdotally, that the 30S lacks the accuracy of the "regular" G30, which enjoys awesome accuracy (some say the best of all stock Glocks). But, at this point, I'm only parroting what I've heard, so I'll stop now.

I'm interested to hear this, as I have two identical Gen3 G30s, both purchased NIB in the latter '90s, and have always been impressed with their accuracy and precision.

They were my daily CCW for years, and I used them in training classes back then, where they more than met all necessary requirements for reliability and precision and accuracy.

They're relegated to other roles now, and my daily CCW is a Gen 5 G26 95% of the time, but I've repeatedly thought of getting either a G30S or G30SF, as I've always been impressed by the visible effects of the momentum of the .45 Auto 230 grain bullet in standard loadings (compared to the 9mm) when shooting steel, and I hadn't ever heard till now that maybe the newer G30S was less accurate than the older G30.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

I have one, but have not shot it since last fall, choosing to work with Gen5 9s. As far as “girth”, it feels a touch wider than a G26 w/o backstraps; I typically do not use the back straps. Mine were fitted with AmeriGlo night sights, orange front. I shot a few matches with it, qualified with it and cannot remember any stoppages-this all with factory ammo, mostly 230 ball. My opinion, FWIW, is to just use standard pressure ammo in short barrels-in this case, 230jhp. I have fired a few magazines of “+P”-no malfunctions. I believe the “+P” goes out the muzzle in extra blast and flash so I don’t obsess over velocity, foot-pounds, blah, blah.
    “Casually” concealed when I carry it in a GLOCK belt slide holster. Sorry, no A/IWB-not my preferred mode. It has been comfortable for me to carry; the slimmer slide has some effect, and in my hands seems to transition from point to point more smoothly than a regular 30.
    Handling requires I believe, a bit more attention as the frame is short. So, on a “speed load” I just slow down a bit relatively speaking. I am not going to load this as fast as my 19, for example, but that’s not a deal breaker for me. I should mention that a G21 mag fits and functions.
    As mentioned above, qualified to 25 yards with it. I have put rounds on a steel “IPSC”silhouette at 50 yards, but did not group at that distance. The silhouette rang, I’m good with that!
    I hope this of some use.

I had one, and gave it a pretty good workout over the course of about 18 months. My thoughts:

1. No idea why they don't make this pistol in the Gen4/Gen5 grip (texture and lack of finger grooves would be a big improvement).

2. It recoils noticeably sharper than a Gen4 G30 I shot it side by side with (not a shocker)

3. While the slide is G19 width, the frame is slightly oversized, so it might or might not work in G19 holsters, and G30 holsters will be "sloppy"

4. Accuracy was good, as is normal in my experience with .45 ACP Glocks

5. Grip shape didn't really work for MY hand, I found I was more prone to shoot this pistol low and left than any other Glock I've shot in a while.

I eventually sold mine off. For my money, in a polymer 45, the M&P 2.0 is the pick of the litter. If they would produce one in a true compact (4" slide, chopped grip), I'd be on it like white on rice. By the same token, if Glock brings a Gen5 G30 or G30S to market, I don't doubt I'd pick one up in short order...

I love mine.

Name:  0D795AFF-6840-415D-881D-3C9BA29B5EF6.jpeg
Views: 1410
Size:  44.1 KB

That target already had 4 .38 special wadcutter holds in it. Page 85 of the 25 yard freestyle thread.

I can shoot mid to high 90s with my stock G30s. 25 yards freestyle with S&b 230 g FMJ.

Great pistol if it fits your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    I love mine.

Great pistol if it fits your hand.
    EXACTLY. For whatever reason, I never "meshed" with mine, while you do some of the best Glock shooting I've ever seen with your large frame pistols. Hard to know what will happen until you get one and start shooting it.

Site Supporter
    I waited for months hoping Glock would bring out a G4 G30S. Finally got tired of waiting and bought a G36 slide off GB and built my own. Ordered an after market 4" G36 barrel, because I have always believed Glock should have made the G30 & G36 with 4" barrels & slides. Getting a slide lengthened is too expensive but a 4" barrel is dooable. Installed on my G4 G30 frame the new configuration fed Ball, 200g H&G #68 SWCs (which I've been told G30s won't do) and every brand of HP I had on hand. Since I don't worship at the 9mm alter the G4 G30S has been my carry gun for a couple years now. Does it recoil more than the G30? Yea, I guess, but I've been shooting 45 ACP handguns (1911s, Glocks, & revolvers) for so many years and for so many rounds I have to think about it to notice.

YMMV,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave T; 05-03-2019 at 10:53 PM.

User Tag List