Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oops, I did it again (another 2.5" Model 19)

Oops, I did it again (another 2.5" Model 19)

Sorry for the quick and crappy picture.

I picked up another Model 19-3 project gun. I think I'm going to go with a matte black bead-blast for this one, but I'm not sure. Maybe two tone? Give me some ideas, share some pictures.

Worn finish with some funky gold plating on the trigger and lettering, but otherwise in good condition. Came with a Safariland/Rogers synthetic grip, and a Bianchi rubber grip that actually features an integral hammer shroud.

I don't think I'll keep either of the grips, but I'm not sure. Any history on these you can share?

Name:  19-3.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  28.6 KB
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Nice. I’ve got a 4” 19-3.

Man, you gotta re-blue that. Anything else just ain’t right.

That needs to have a milled in front night sight, C&S xtreme duty rear to go along with that bead blast blues finish. Maybe blue frame barrel and stainless looking cylinder?
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    First choice would be polished blue, second choice is a toss-up between matte blue and matte hard chrome. If going with hard chrome, pull both sights off (obviously) prior to the refinish. My 4" 19-3 has a pinned front sight, I think the 2-1/2" ones do too.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Came with a Safariland/Rogers synthetic grip, and a Bianchi rubber grip that actually features an integral hammer shroud.

I don't think I'll keep either of the grips, but I'm not sure. Any history on these you can share?

Name:  19-3.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  28.6 KB
    The Bianchi are the Lightning grips, which, as you said, shrouded the hammer like the Colt bolt-on shroud or old S&W Bodyguard.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Nice find

Tritium front sight, fixed rear, new trigger (or refinished).

Pachymayr Compact pro grips.

I'd leave the bluing alone, maybe parkerize???

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Nice find

Tritium front sight, fixed rear, new trigger (or refinished).

Pachymayr Compact pro grips.

I'd leave the bluing alone, maybe parkerize???
    It'll definitely get a new finish. Honestly, I can't stand the looks of a worn high-polish blue. If it's an antique patina, that's fine, but worn high-polish bluing just looks like junk, IMO.

I do have a hankering for some sort of Victory-looking revolver with a utilitarian finish, so that could actually be a consideration. The trigger will definitely get cleaned up as part of the refinish. I might keep this one wearing the stock sights as they're in perfect condition and I have FOs on the other project gun.

Fortunately I already have a set of spare Pachmyer Compacts, and they're definitely going on this gun.

For finishes, I think this one should be dark because the other project gun linked above was done in NP3. What do you guys think about matte bluing vs Birdsong Black-T? Is there another vendor for a black DLC or PVD finish that anyone knows of?

Have any of you guys ever experimented with or seen a revolver in very unconventional colors that actually looked good? A green like Birdsong Green-T, or Burnt Bronze, something of the sort?

I've got a retired agency gun in excellent original condition, plus that other fun-gun in NP3. I'm willing to go a little outside the box if we can put together a solid concept. That's the reason I like to buy these beater Combat Magnums, and leave the nicely finished good condition ones for purists. If I got one of those, I would obsess over keeping the high-polished bluing in perfect shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    The Bianchi are the Lightning grips, which, as you said, shrouded the hammer like the Colt bolt-on shroud or old S&W Bodyguard.
    Neat. Was it a fad at one point, just some dumb idea, or part of some regular practice in certain circles? I appreciate the historical context.
    Last edited by TGS; 05-03-2019 at 09:14 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Neat. Was it a fad at one point, just some dumb idea, or part of some regular practice in certain circles? I appreciate the historical context.
    I have no personal time with them, just random trivia in my head. IIRC, the were only made for K frame Smiths, but I'm not positive. I guess it depends on whether or not one felt the need for a shrouded hammer on ones K frame. I can see using it on an issued weapon that you were prohibited from modifying. @Dagga Boy would most likely know more about context of use.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    I feel a hankering to find one of these...

The only issue with bluing after bead blasting (the source of most matte metal prep) is an increased propensity for corrosion and rust. The bead blasting creates small depressions in the steel, and those depressions collect moisture like a sponge does. If I was to blue the revolver, I would opt for a high-polish blue finish as it is much more resistant to corrosion. Not because of the bluing but because the polished surface of the metal is less likely to attract moisture.

If it was my revolver, I would send it to Robar, get the internals and cylinder finished in NP3, and finish the rest of the revolver in Roguard. I did that with an old M28 and was very pleased with the outcome. Now I need to find that revolver in the safe.
    Last edited by farscott; 05-04-2019 at 07:30 AM.

User Tag List