Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on my Sig P226

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    The P226 DA/SA is my all time favorite pistol and the one I have generally shot best across the board.
    Yeah, but the OP has a DAK in 40. Wasn’t it you or your late partner 972 who said DAK “sucked the joy” out of shooting a SIG ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Yeah, but the OP has a DAK in 40. Wasn’t it you or your late partner 972 who said DAK “sucked the joy” out of shooting a SIG ?
    Yep, that’s classic Steve, and so true. I’d likely consider converting it to TDA or sell and swap if it were mine.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Yep, that’s classic Steve, and so true. I’d likely consider converting it to TDA or sell and swap if it were mine.
    Yes, I only have a DAK for nostalgia since we issued them. Last I check the parts to convert are about $150.00.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

I don't find this 226 DAK real easy to shoot. Having said that I can hit what I am aiming at well enough to protect myself. I do find it fun to shoot. I think it is well made. It feels good in my hand. I could deal with all the downsides if I could conceal it. South Florida is hot as hell. The trigger can be changed out by Sig.

I most likely will buy a compact Glock 9mm. I shot one or two at the range so far.

The gun is the easy part. Becoming a better shot is not difficult. Coming to a mindset that I can live with is proving to be very difficult.

I get the idea that some folks here must take a shower with there pistol. I understand that from my Vietnam experience, well, sort of.

There a lot of what ifs to be considered. What do I do when I go to the VA or other places where guns are not allowed? Why would I shoot and kill someone just because it is legal if I had another option? My dog and my wife come to mind. Where and when does it make sense for me to be armed?

Some things are dead simple for me. Break into my house with a gun in your hand pointed at me and you will leave in a body bag. Other things are not so black and white. Steal my car and the cops can deal with that. Shoot my dog and I might go crazy and kill you and everyone you know and the grass in your front yard. I am about 99.999% sure I would not actually do that but you can never tell about cranky old men...lol Yes I am joking, but I do love my wife and dog. Again, some things are easy...point a gun at my wife and I would not think twice about what to do. There are a whole bunch of grey areas to consider.
    How do you come to those decisions?

Actually when the shit hits the fan, I don't think most gun owners could predict with 100% confidence just how they would react.

Cheers,

Billy

Our very own #Tom Givens has tracked the number of students he has had who have been in actual gun fights (my search-fu is weak the morning).
    The only real losses he's seen have been the "forefits"- when people didn't have a gun with them.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

My 9mm P226R DA/SA was one of my all time favorite pistols, but it was big, heavy, and capacity challenged. Our agency issues Sig 40s in DAK trigger, and, at last check, about 60-65% of them are sitting in the armory after being returned by folks who have bought lighter, easier to shoot pistols.

Living in Miami and not wanting to work too hard to conceal a pistol, I'd look at something like a Glock 26 for a "primary" and a G42 or Ruger LCP as a "always" pocket gun. I'd ditch both the DAK and the .44 Mag derringer, personally.

As a veteran, you might be able to get blue label (LE) pricing on a G26 at Lou's Police Supply. According to the Blue Label program information on line, all you need is a DD214, which I'm sure you've got stashed around somewhere...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Planobilly View Post
    Thanks guys for the feedback.

I don't find this 226 DAK real easy to shoot. Having said that I can hit what I am aiming at well enough to protect myself. I do find it fun to shoot. I think it is well made. It feels good in my hand. I could deal with all the downsides if I could conceal it. South Florida is hot as hell. The trigger can be changed out by Sig.

I most likely will buy a compact Glock 9mm. I shot one or two at the range so far.

The gun is the easy part. Becoming a better shot is not difficult. Coming to a mindset that I can live with is proving to be very difficult.

I get the idea that some folks here must take a shower with there pistol. I understand that from my Vietnam experience, well, sort of.

There a lot of what ifs to be considered. What do I do when I go to the VA or other places where guns are not allowed? Why would I shoot and kill someone just because it is legal if I had another option? My dog and my wife come to mind. Where and when does it make sense for me to be armed?

Some things are dead simple for me. Break into my house with a gun in your hand pointed at me and you will leave in a body bag. Other things are not so black and white. Steal my car and the cops can deal with that. Shoot my dog and I might go crazy and kill you and everyone you know and the grass in your front yard. I am about 99.999% sure I would not actually do that but you can never tell about cranky old men...lol Yes I am joking, but I do love my wife and dog. Again, some things are easy...point a gun at my wife and I would not think twice about what to do. There are a whole bunch of grey areas to consider.
    How do you come to those decisions?

Actually when the shit hits the fan, I don't think most gun owners could predict with 100% confidence just how they would react.

Cheers,

Billy
    Carry a gun when ever / where ever legal. Lock box in the car for when /where you can’t.

We carry pistols as reactive instruments. Defensive use of handguns in the US is a “come as you are” event. I carry a gun all the time for the sane reason I wear a seatbelt all the time, I never know when/if I am going to need it and if the time does come some one else will choose when.

Quote Originally Posted by Planobilly View Post
    and two and a half years in Vietnam
    I apologize for going off topic here. But sincerely, thank you for your service. As a veteran of post-9/11 conflicts, I always feel a sense of disgust when it comes to the public perception that Vietnam vets had to endure. My generation of veterans has come home to nothing but love and support from everyone in American society. You guys had a much different experience coming home from Vietnam. And I'm ashamed by it.

Back on topic. I grew up in central FL and I understand what you mean. Certain parts of the state have gone to hell. I think your mindset of conflict avoidance is entirely appropriate. I would much rather just avoid the bad areas and save myself a lot of trouble. But sometimes trouble has a tendency of finding you, despite your best efforts. And for that situation, I'd recommend a lightweight, small frame 9mm that you will consistently carry and can shoot reasonably well at self-defense distances. Key point being that you consistently carry it. When that situation arises, the gun needs to be accessible on your person...not locked up in your car. Just my $0.02.

Sig can convert the DAK to a DA/SA for about $200 plus round trip. Or you can buy the parts yourself and do it for about $150 (as @HCM mentioned).

A 9mm P226 barrel is a drop in caliber replacement for the P226. Just make sure you replace the recoil spring with an appropriately rated 9mm spring.

Quote Originally Posted by RJflyer View Post
    I apologize for going off topic here. But sincerely, thank you for your service. As a veteran of post-9/11 conflicts, I always feel a sense of disgust when it comes to the public perception that Vietnam vets had to endure. My generation of veterans has come home to nothing but love and support from everyone in American society. You guys had a much different experience coming home from Vietnam. And I'm ashamed by it.

Back on topic. I grew up in central FL and I understand what you mean. Certain parts of the state have gone to hell. I think your mindset of conflict avoidance is entirely appropriate. I would much rather just avoid the bad areas and save myself a lot of trouble. But sometimes trouble has a tendency of finding you, despite your best efforts. And for that situation, I'd recommend a lightweight, small frame 9mm that you will consistently carry and can shoot reasonably well at self-defense distances. Key point being that you consistently carry it. When that situation arises, the gun needs to be accessible on your person...not locked up in your car. Just my $0.02.
    Thanks for your comments. People being supportive when a vet returned is a really good thing. Thank you for your service. We serve so people can think and say what ever they want to.

I have always been well armed at home all my life, just the normal way I grew up in Texas. We used guns to kill stuff we liked to eat, both wild and domestic animals. Guns were protection from dangerous wildlife. Feeling the need to protect myself and wife from people is a fairly new thing and directly related to living in Miami Dade county.

I am actually pissed off because I feel the need to be armed all the time. How the hell did we let things in this country get to this point?

I am shooting a few different 9mm pistols at the range to try them out. The Glocks look and feel a bit strange but they are easy to shoot. I guess I am just a old guy...lol My nickle platted Colt Python is beautiful!! The Sig 226 SS is a pretty nice looking gun. Yes, I understand the world is going to plastic guns and why. They may be better but they are damn sure not better looking to me. lol

Cheers,

Billy

User Tag List