Thread: Risk of replacing a barrel on 1982 CA Bulldog >$$

Risk of replacing a barrel on 1982 CA Bulldog >$$

I have a very clean and still tight 1982 Stratford Charter Arms 3" Bulldog that I bought used. From a rest, in single action and with light target load or factory loads, it shoots futher to the left with each 5 yards you add. I'ts been consistently 3/4" left at 5 yards, 1 1/2" left at 10 yards, 2 1/4" left at 15yards and 3 1/2" left at 20 yards.

I've paid my $49.99 and Charter Arms is willing to change out the barrel. They have the proper holding fixture. Does anyone have any personal knowledge of, if these .44 Bulldog frames tend to have cracks from use that will open up under the strain of a barrel removal. There is obviously some risk since I've been asked to send them a waiver. I'm willing and will take some risk so long as I don't hear it is a great risk. So far I'm hearing that if the gun has been shot alot and hard, there may be cracks. This one appears about as tight as a new one I looked at in a lgs.

I'd like to go for it because it carries so well and I enjoy shooting it. I just am not comfortable with maybe having it shoot left.

I have thousands of rounds through my charter bulldog I have never seen a charter with a crack in the frame unless the individual was trying to run hot loads through them. Which of course they were not designed for.

I'm hoping this one doesn't either. I gave them permission to go ahead with the swap. I hope to hear some good news on Monday.

Any update on this? Just curious how it went.

For as much crap as people give Charter Arms the most recent iteration of the company has excellent customer service from everything I've heard.
    Last edited by KevH; 05-22-2019 at 10:27 PM.

Come to think of it, my Pathfinder .22, inherited from my Uncle, throws left, too. Fortunately it has an adjustable rear sight which I have cranked way right.

I wonder what a barrel change will do for you.
    If the barrel is bored off center or bent (I had an ASM Schofield with curved barrel.) that will be the fix. But if the frame is bent or threaded off center, it won't be.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List