Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What was your EDC rig from days gone by(e)?

You have to start somewhere.

My very first carry gun was a Kel-Tec P-11. I had two magazines for it, with the pinky extensions. I bought a Comp-Tac IWB kydex holster for it, and the spare mag was carried in a cheap Uncle Mikes single mag pouch with a foam spacer in the bottom to lift the mag enough for quick retrieval. A lot of folks bag on Kel-Tec stuff, but I find that they are a step up from Hi-Point and the like... mine was pretty damn reliable. WWB 9mm was $9.99/100 at Wal-Mart back then, and I burned 200-300 rounds a week through that cheap gun, with very few problems. I learned to shoot the long DAO pull pretty well, despite it being a "staple gun" trigger (an accurate assessment). I carried WBB 147gr JHP, or 127gr +P+ Ranger T. Amazingly, that gun ate a lot of that +P+ load with zero issues.

I eventually traded that gun off for something else.

I've come a long way in carry gear and gun choices since then. But the basics apply no matter what gun or gear you use.

When I started my LE career 19 years ago, I carried an issued P228 (M11) in a Desantis Speed Scabbard. Mag pouches were Don Hume clip ons, and my handcuffs were threaded through my belt - because CDI. My UBER powerful Surefire light with about 100 lumens out the front rode in nylon pouch.

Oddly enough, this gear was plenty good to get me through the early days of the war in Afghanistan with no issues. Not sure how I survived without kydex and molle...

Hmm. Colt Navy, cap-and-ball, in a cut-down govt-surplus leather rig, tucked under my sash.

OK, seriously: March 17, 1984, my sworn date. No legal on-body handgun carry, in Texas, at that time, for most private citizens. I think the holster was a Bucheimer. Thumb-break retention, FBI-ish cant, cowhide. S&W Model 66, 2.5”, dash unknown, but the current version at that time. Belt, well, I am not sure how early I started using G. Wm. Davis, pre-curved belts, but it was not too long after I started carrying.

Notably, the 2.5” Model 66 was THE off-duty/plainclothes gun, of that day. I was able to sell it for about as much as I had paid for it, new.

I think I had a similar holster for my 4” L-Frames, and soon favored toting a 4” sixgun, which was more stable, not realistically more difficult to conceal, and better for shooting accurately, especially at longer range. To this day, I shoot square-butt revolvers better than round-butt.

I soon upgraded to a Davis DA Challenger holster, for N-Frames. S&W Models 629, 58, and 657.

For a short time, in 1985, HK P7, Bianchi Askins Avenger. A P7 is too grip-heavy to be stable, and the holster did not fit my Davis belts.

I am not going to try to remember every carry rig, but some 20th-Century long-term daily carry guns include Stainless Commander, 1990-1991, SIG P220 “Euro,” 1991-1993, GP100, 1991 to present, 4” K-Frame and SP101, mid-Nineties to present, 5” 1911, mid-Nineties to present. I used a very high-quality nylon Eagle Industries IWB rig, now long-discontinued, to carry several of the revolvers.
    Last edited by Rex G; 05-02-2019 at 01:33 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

If any of you had any respect for me, this might fix that.

Started carrying in 2010. My equipment when I started was a legacy P226 in an Uncle Mike’s nylon holster with a thumb break. Sometimes carried in a Serpa.

Eventually switched to a .40S&W P229 with the DAK trigger, I think in late 2011. I carried that in a Crossbreed Supertuck as well as an kydex holster from one of the bigger companies. The kydex one was so uncomfortable I never wore it.

Got tired of the DAK trigger so I sold that P229 to buy a newer P229 (E2 grips, long extractor but normal trigger and no SRT). Carried that in the Supertuck and occasionally a Serpa, then in a Gould & Goodrich 3-slot holster with thumb break.

Carried that P229 til July of 2014 when the first of the P320C came out. Carried it in an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck and sometimes a Tagua Leather high-ride holster. Bought a subcompact grip and 12-round mag, rode my compact slide on it.

Sold the P320 in I think 2015 to buy another TDA P229. Started off carrying in an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 2.0, tried a CCC Shaggy but my gun printed horribly with it (so did the holster). Eventually bought a JMCK IWB 2.0 to wear it with. Also bought a Safariland 537 to wear the gun with.

Traded that P229 in 2017 for a P30 LEM 4.1 and bought a JMCK Wing Claw 2.5. Bought a Mastermind Tactics Radian AIWB holster and then eventually a JMCK Single Pistol Mag Pouch V2. Transitioned to carrying the P30 in a JMCK Wing Claw 2.5.

Sold the P30 at the start of this year to buy a 1989 production P228 and I have a classic JMCK AIWB for that.

Oh and at some point I bought a well-worn (surface) Gen 3 Glock 19 and JMCK Wing Claw 2.5 which I’ve carried intermittently and tend to carry more lately.

ETA:

My current primary EDC

- Gen 3 Glock 19 in a JMCK WC 2.5
    - Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA
    - Emerson Kershaw CQC-7K

Plus my wallet and keys.
    Last edited by HCountyGuy; 05-02-2019 at 01:31 PM.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

1996 - 1911/Summer special/Spyderco/surefire

2007 - M&P/CCC looper/Strider/surefire
    2008 - G17-x300/Threat solutions UCR/strider/surefire

2008 - 1911/Andrews Mcdaniel2/Strider/surefire

2016 - 642/RKBA pocket holster/Folding knife/ surefire

2017 - 1911/SME/folding knife/surefire
    2019 - Wilson EDC X9-x300/Phlster/Strider/ surefire
    Last edited by theJanitor; 05-02-2019 at 02:13 PM.

From memory: 1981, CCW wasn’t legal here but was tolerated if you weren’t a jamoche about it - especially since I was working for one of the big newspapers as a photographer on midnights in shittown. Colt LW .38 Stupid Commander in a Bianchi 3S.

Today: it varies, but is almost always a G26 or 43 in a PJ Customs IWB. If I’m in the hood, I’ll up to a full sized gun (like my 41) in a ALS rig with casual cover.
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 05-02-2019 at 01:36 PM.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    2008?! Don't burn down your wayback machine going back a whole ten years.

1988: Beretta 92F (M9 LTT) in a 55BN clone by Bianchi (JMCK). Leatherman PST (only option at the time, still carry one). Cell phones were only in Miami Vice (IPhone 6).

Stay off my lawn, junior.
    Prior to 2008 I don't like to think about! I started in 1999 with a G22.2 then moved to a Beretta 92FS (actually M9 Special Edition and I still own it) in 2000. 2002 saw a return to Glock with a G26.3. Trial and error a few too many until 2008 when I calmed down. I have had a few relapses of chasing the better mousetrap in regards to pistols in that time....now when I buy a pistol that isn't a Glock I don't rationalize the purchase with "leaning it for carry", but simply for pride of ownership.

I still say the PST/PST II was the best multitool Leatherman ever made.

1980's, S&W 3" M64 in a Bianchi Bellyband

most of 1990's, Sig P220 or Colt D frame, a variety of leather

Late 90's and onward, G19/26 or G23/32 or deep concealment D frame

Now USP/c LEM mostly or PPS gen 1

Well, if we want to go into the WAY BACK time machine - first "concealed carry" for me was a S&W 686 4" worn in a Bianchi Cyclone cross draw. God only knows how I wasn't arrested repeatedly for that monstrosity. Then I switched to a much smaller P226 - at least this one was strong side. After that a series of Glocks in a series of bad holsters, and a brief foray into a Desert Eagle .44 carried both strong side hip and (sigh), in a fanny pack.

Luckily, I have gotten a LITTLE smarter about guns and gear as time went on...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    ... and a brief foray into a Desert Eagle .44 carried both strong side hip and (sigh), in a fanny pack.
    Dear Lord, I hope there are pictures of this glorious setup! Practical? Eh. Amazing? YES!

User Tag List