Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What was your EDC rig from days gone by(e)?

What was your EDC rig from days gone by(e)?

I was going through some of my old gear and had a nostalgic moment, if you will. Going back to 2008 my "on my person" EDC rig was not overly different from now as far as loadout (current stuff in italics):

Glock 23 with OEM night sights, usually no spare magazine, in a Comp-Tac CTAC (G17, Ameriglo Hacks, AIWB w/ spare mag in JMCK rig)
    Spyderco Delica 4 (Benchmade Mini Grip)
    Leatherman Wave (original version) (deleted from on-person)
    Mini Maglite (Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA)
    Zippo lighter (Bic)
    iPhone (original) 4 gigs baby! (iPhone 7 Plus)
    Desantis leather gunbelt (Spec Ops belt)
    generic leather wallet, car keys, etc. (same but Spec Ops THE Wallet Jr)

Anyone have major changes to theirs?
    Last edited by echo5charlie; 05-02-2019 at 11:00 AM.

Prior to 2006, concealed carry was not legal where I lived or permitted where I worked. I therefore often carried a subcompact more often than I do now (in those days a 442 or PM-9). Away from work though it was the same lightweight commander variant as it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    Going back to 2008
    2008?! Don't burn down your wayback machine going back a whole ten years.

1988: Beretta 92F (M9 LTT) in a 55BN clone by Bianchi (JMCK). Leatherman PST (only option at the time, still carry one). Cell phones were only in Miami Vice (IPhone 6).

Stay off my lawn, junior.
    Last edited by Hambo; 05-02-2019 at 12:02 PM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

In the early 80's it was a DeSantis pancake holster, OWB, with matching cartridge dump pouch. (Model 15 / Model 36 S&W)

In the late 80's it was DeSantis, Safariland or whatever issued leather holsters for Model 19 and later issued Colt Gov't model, S&W 6946 and Glock 19 & 26.

My own purchases for the Glocks were Assault Systems cordura holster (spring clip) which I wore AIWB beginning in 1988...and KyTac kydex holsters for Glock 19 and 26 (and mag pouches) purchased in the mid 90's. AIWB and OWB

Carried the KyTac rigs up until I purchased JMCK, DSG, Mastermind over the last few years.

Renegade, Galco, DeSantis and various other ankle holsters for S&W Model 36 and Glock 26.

Always carried a knife. Beginning in the 90's it was Benchmade and Spyderco...with some customs mixed in. Earlier it was lockback or traditional knife.
    Gerber LSTs were issued by "Uncle".

Usually had a cordura wallet I picked up from LL Bean in my back pocket...that thing was indestructible and I carried for a couple decades until I got a nice wallet from Mastermind / Graith.

Various lights from Maglite (and similar), Fenix and other companies until mostly settling on Malkoff for all my needs.

Before that we carried spears.
    Last edited by blues; 05-02-2019 at 12:31 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I used to carry my then issued Security Six in a Bianchi Pistol Pocket with a couple Safariland Split-Six speedloader carriers. Since then I’ve gone through a couple pistols but since 2006 I’ve carried one or another M&P variation in 9mm or 40.

1981 when all I owned was a K-22, K-38 and a 6" Model 57, I carried the big .41 IWB at 3:30 in a suede clip on. But that wasn't EDC because I lived and worked on Ft Lewis. That was offpost, mostly weekends. Luckily it was mostly raining and a lot rain slicker outerwear. LOL

After about a year I got my first 1911 pattern, a Colt Combat Commander .45 lightly tuned by Herbie Jost of Happy Herbie's House of Handguns gunshop in Yelm, WA. What a great guy. What a spectacular pistol.

Also got a Model 58 .41 I switched to from the Model 57.

But once up to speed on the 1911 properly the CC was carried IWB in a Sparks Summer Special.
    Last edited by JHC; 05-02-2019 at 12:42 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

1st CCW setup: XD45 fullsize with some Winchester hollerpoints, riding in a SERPA paddle holster.

I look back and cringe so hard.
    Last edited by texasaggie2005; 05-02-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Prior to 2006, concealed carry was not legal where I lived or permitted where I worked. I therefore often carried a subcompact more often than I do now (in those days a 442 or PM-9). Away from work though it was the same lightweight commander variant as it is now.
    I worked for a school district from 1998 - 2008, so carrying concealed was not an EDC thing for me. Embarrassingly, "gun of the day" when I did carry was a thing.

Site Supporter
    Bianchi 8L pancake holster containing a S&W 4" M64 heavy barrel in '81 with a speedloader or two of 125 grain Remington SJHP +P .38s in them in my right front pants pocket. The speedloaders were off duty only. We still had ammo dump pouches until about '85 on the duty belts.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 05-02-2019 at 01:05 PM.

1997 - Sig P220 in a Galco leather strong side belt holster. Pocket knife in right front. Surefire 6P and two spare mags in belt pouches on off side. Shoot me first vest or untucked shirt.

Between now and then, I’ve carried a Kimber Pro Carry, a variety of Glocks, and now an M&P9 2.0. My carry position has gravitated from behind the hip to forward of the hip.

Today - S&W M&P9 2.0 Compact AIWB in a JM Custom kydex holster, off side spare mag in a belt pouch, Streamlight ProTac1L in left front pocket, and a folding knife in right front pocket. I don’t even have a vest anymore, but still typically wear my shirts untucked.

So yeah, there have been a few changes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List