Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: What was your EDC rig from days gone by(e)?

Years ago, when I was younger and poorer, I suddenly had an unpleasant reason to start carrying a handgun, so I applied for my License to Carry.

Took my available rainy day money and drove to Wal Mart, bought a new stainless Rossi revolver in .38 Special, along with 50 FMJ rounds and 50 hollow points of some brand I don't remember. {Yep, back when Wal Mart sold handguns in this State. I was lusting after a Colt Officer's in their case, but it was beyond my reach $$ wise}

A stop at a local bait shop scored me an Uncle Mike's nylon holster and I started carrying the revolver under an untucked shirt. Far from optimum, but I was legally armed, and the Rossi was pretty darn good gun.

I've carried quite of few different guns in the interim, my favorite was probably an H&K P7 police trade in from Europe that I carried for several years. Right this moment I am toting an HK USPc 9mm in a Ryan Grizzle holster.
    Last edited by sparkyfender; 05-21-2019 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyfender View Post
    Years ago, when I was younger and poorer, I suddenly had an unpleasant reason to start carrying a handgun, so I applied for my License to Carry.

Took my available rainy day money and drove to Wal Mart, bought a new stainless Rossi revolver in .38 Special, along with 50 FMJ rounds and 50 hollow points of some brand I don't remember. {Yep, back when Wal Mart sold handguns in this State. I was lusting after a Colt Officer's in their case, but it was beyond my reach $$ wise}

A stop at a local bait shop scored me an Uncle Mike's nylon holster and I started carrying the revolver under an untucked shirt. Far from optimum, but I was legally armed, and the Rossi was pretty darn good gun.
    I'm amazed you didn't get kil't in th' streetz...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Aside from the occasional pocket carried J-Frame or .380 (more often than not it's a J-frame), my EDC hasn't gone through too many evolutions:
    • 2006: My first carry setup as a young/dumb engineering student was an XD-45 Service loaded with 230gr +P Hornady TAP in a Crossbreed of some flavor (even though I was shooting a G34 in USPSA). The light I carried was a Surefire G2 and I carried some sort of cheapo S&W "SWAT" folder. It was college so my options were limited.
    • Late 2008: Ditched the XD-45 for an XD-45 Compact (still young and dumb) and upgraded to 230gr Winchester Ranger Bonded (same holster).
    • 2009: I figued since I was getting a lot of trigger time on my G34 in USPSA/3-gun, I should have a Glock for EDC. So I picked up a Gen 3 G19 and wholsale changed out my setup. I had Warren 2-dot sights, CTC grips and an X300 on the G19 and was using RCS Phantom and Phantom LC holsters with tuckable IWB hardware, a Comp-Tac single clip-on magazine pouch. My ammo upgraded to 127gr +P+ Ranger and my light upgraded to a Surefire E2DL as well.
    • 2012-13 (ish): Everything is still the same but my stash of 127gr Ranger is burned up so I switch to 147gr HST
    • 2016/17: I dropped a bunch of weight and could carry AIWB so I added a SCD to the same G19 I've been carrying since 2009, sitched the X300 and switched over to a JMCK AIWB Wing Claw 2.5 and an AIWB mag pouch. I haven't changed too much since then save for swapping to a set of Ameriglo Hackathorn sights to replace the dead Warren sights last year. My knife of the day is usually a SOG Flash II, Gerber Dime, or Gerber EAB and my EDC lights are a Pelican 1920 for a task light and a Streamlight 2L-X for "social" purposes.

The only changes I'm looking to make anytime soon is to get a G34 length holster with DCC clips and cut for an RDS should I decide to go down the optics route and a new 18650 powered light with a bit more throw/hot spot to replace the 2L-X.
    Last edited by ragnar_d; 05-21-2019 at 09:11 PM.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Site Supporter
    My first “Carry Rig” back in the day was a Star Firestar M40, in a leather IWB I made by copying magazine pictures of 1911 summer special rigs. Carried my only spare magazine in my offside front pocket.

My first "EDC rig" was an HKP2000sk in a Crossbreed Supertuck carried at 4 o'clock. I had just begun carrying, I couldn't shoot or handle the pistol well at all, and I didn't know anything.

A year or so after that lame beginning, I had begun to notice repeated online references to "AIWB." Once I'd figured out what that was, I was astonished. People voluntarily choose to carry a loaded firearm down the front area of their pants?! What kind of craziness is this?!!!

After much reading of personal accounts, I took the plunge in 2012, purchasing a JMCK AIWB holster for my MP9FS. Firearm choice has shifted, but mode of carry remains the same.

1996-Novak tuned Colt 5".45acp Government Model in a Milt Sparks Executive Companion IWB. 2 spare 8rd mags on left hip in a Galco dual mag pouch.

2019-Wilson Combat 5" .45acp CQB in a Milt Sparks Executive Companion IWB or a Raven Concealment Phantom OWB. 2 spare 8rd mags on left hip in a Raven Concealment dual mag pouch.

My first edc was a 1911. A rock island 1911 no less. I put a Dawson FO front sight on it and carried it in a Galco V-Hawk at about 330. Man i thought i was it, lol. I probably had a 3 second or more draw and all of my shooting was done at 7 yards.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

To bring my history into the 21st Century, I used a G. Wm. Davis Security to tote several 1911 pistols, from as early as the mid-Eighties, to 2002, at which time my only remaining 1911 was a Les Baer TRS, with FCS, which snagged the cowhide. If my newest 1911, without FCS, proves reliable, the old Davis Security may see use, again, if I can find it.

The Davis Security can be thought of as an improved Bruce Nelson/Milt Sparks Summer Special, with a short/medium-ish sweat guard and two, rather than just one, belt loops. The Sparks Summer Special II added the second belt loop, and the short/medium-ish sweat guard, which does not imply a knock-off/rip-off; I believe that all of these gentlemen knew each other, and believed that a rising tide raises all boats.

In 2002, when I got away from using 1911 pistols on duty, due to the then-mandated, stupidly-silly-canted Safariland 070 making a proper firing grip problematic, I bought Blade-Tech kydex OWB to carry the duty Glock off the clock, but soon gravitated toward Ruger revolvers for most personal-time carry. The quick solution for holsters was left and right Galco Concealables, followed by left and right Milt Sparks PMKs, a Kramer Vertical Scabbard, and an Alessi ankle rig. I finally found a Glock I liked, for some personal time carry, the G29, toted in a Galco Concealable.

In late 2004, I switched to a SIG P226R DAK duty pistol, realizing much better natural accuracy potential. I still tended to keep toting the revolvers during personal time. In late 2006, I added a non-railed P229, toted in a Josh Bulman FDS, which became my default primary personal-time pistol, until about 2012, when my aging right hand was really hurting when firing .40 Snap & Whip. Starting in 2012, I reverted to toting my Les Baer TRS during personal time, as moderate amounts of .45 ACP, fired from all-steel, full-sized 1911 pistols, was and is OK. As the TRS’ FCS snagged cowhide, I used Blade-tech kydex.

I added a G17, and phased-in a pair of Gen4 G19 pistols, experimenting with various rigs, culminating in JMCK and Tenicor OWB Kydex rigs. In 2015, a change in weapon policy allowed 9mm primary duty pistols, and the 9mm Glocks became my duty pistols. In 2016, another weapon policy change allowed me to again tote a 1911 on duty, in the newer standard duty rig, the Safariland 6360, a GOOD duty holster for 1911 folks.

Since retiring in early 2018, I have been experimenting with multiple carry rigs, and experimenting with a wider range of weapons. Time will tell where this all settles.

I have all but given-up trying to carry full-width Glocks AIWB. Full-length, duty-sized handguns are problematic for IWB, or any high-ride holster, due to aging shoulders.

I have ordered a lefty Kramer MSP paddle holster, for my new-to-me S&W Model 64-2 snubgun. I already have a right-hand Kramer MSP for G19-sized Glocks, which I have occasionally used, so I know the design is valid. With my right shoulder being gimpier than my left, it is possible that “primary” may shift to the left side.

This does not cover everything in my carry rig history, but hits the high points, at least.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    I started carrying in 2009. My first CCW pistol was a Gen3 Glock 26, and I bought a Garrett Silent Thunder IWB for it (which was actually marketed by Tucker Gunleather). I tried carrying at 4:00 for almost a year, but AIWB just works much better for me. Fortunately that little holster works equally well in either position. Since then I've gotten some Glock 19s and occasionally bump up to a G17. I also have a G43 and a J-frame for pocket carry. As for other holsters, I have some made by Dale Fricke, Dark Star, and JM Custom. A Gen5 G19 in a JM Custom AIWB 2.0 is what I carry most often often now. I still carry the G26+Garrett combo pretty often--like earlier today. Given how many awful guns and holsters there are, I think I was extremely lucky to hit upon a combination that I still find completely acceptable after ten years of concealed carry.

I started in a communist state so the premise of a handgun was off limits. I started my firearm history as a teenager with my Dad’s Type 99 Arisaka (with Chrysanthemum and flip up AA sights). This was taken from the man who tried to kill the man who brought it home. I eventually acquired my first personally owned handgun after military service.

Starting in the early 70’s I went with an H&K P9S in .45 ACP; at that juncture (prior to the development of modern handgun projectiles that eliminates practical differences) I would not depart from the .45 of my own volition. Duty issue started as 1911, but that was rapidly eliminated by administrative hoplophobia (Condition 1 hysterics) and everyone was relegated to revolvers. I still carried the P9 as the off-duty EDC, with a self-fabricated leather OWB holster very similar in fashion to John McPhee’s “Condom”.

Knives were Buck folders and a Gerber Mark II. Flashlights were dismal; we were still in the “Kel Light” era. (Don’s(LASD) lights paved the way for Tony Maglica, and then coming full circle, his son became an LEO for the home town of Mag Lights.)

Fast forward a year or so and back into 1911’s. I went from that to a P226, then into a “Pilot Model” 4506 (hand-rolled by S&W as the 3rd Gen but still holding the 645 rollmarks). I carried that in a Famous Jackass Leather Company shoulder rig (long story, but that became the Galco), with two magazines and a Cold Steel Tanto attached to the offside magazine carrier.

Then Peter Kokalis introduced us to the Austrian wonder 9, and I bought one of the first imported into the U.S.

DoJ (Department of Technology Assessment) eventually declared it to be DA action which paved the way for agency authorization as OK for duty use. Stayed with G’s since then (early mid-80’s) until a short and unpleasant experience with the first generation M&P dead trigger problem.

Moved into Surefire for lights during that time, with Randall, Cold Steel, and Hastings knives. Here is the Hastings:

Name:  69871CAD-80A4-4F1A-B958-60B81EF06170.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  41.9 KB

Back to G’s until now, and avidly studying the concept of the M&P 2.0 manual safety with an RDS as the next potential move.

User Tag List