Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trigger Control Maintenance, striker vs TDA

To get the most from a class on driving the gun, you really need to find an instructor who knows how to teach the TDA. I can’t evaluate LAV or Gabe’s use of and instruction of TDA, so please don’t take this wrong.

I’m just saying that if you want to learn how to really run a TDA, then look for an instructor who knows how to teach that system. Unfortunately, it’s almost a lost art among people who think a Glock has a good trigger.

Nothing wrong with strikers, and I carry them sometimes. Every platform has positives and negatives, it just depends on what attributes the individual feels is best for them under a particular set of circumstances.

I personally think learning to shoot TDA and revolvers carries over to other systems. Moving the trigger without disturbing the sights is key regardless of what you shoot.
    Last edited by LSP552; 05-03-2019 at 02:52 PM.

You mentioned “the warts are showing...” Do you mind sharing what those are? The only things I am missing at the moment are the lighter weight and the ability to mount a dot. I’m going to pick up an mos gun sometime, just to try the dot once some more reviews come in on SRO and ACRO. Of course, I may just pickup a Holosun since I’m just interested in playing with the idea. I digress...

I’m just curious as what you are seeing as the downsides now.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    As some of you know, I've been on a journey since January of exploring the TDA trigger with the Beretta 92. I've learned a lot and enjoyed the process. That said, the shine has worn off, the warts are showing themselves, and I'm glad I kept at least one of my Glocks.

For those who have spent significant time with both TDA and striker guns: Do trigger control lessons learned with TDA maintain themselves if you shoot another platform?

In other words, for logistical reasons I'm now strongly considering divesting myself of my Berettas and going back all in with Glocks. Yeah, I'll loose some money, but in the long run, it was worth the $400 investment to learn what I have about trigger control and also allowing myself to scratch that "platform switch, greener grass" itch for the first/only time since I got serious about pistol shooting in early 2014.

However, I want to make sure that if I go back to shooting the Glock 100% of the time my trigger control won't devolve.

More backstory as to how I got here in the first place: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....retta-Thoughts

It's funny because I'm doing the exact opposite! I learned to shoot pistols on DA/SA guns and used them for years. At some point I convinced myself that I needed to switch to striker fired pistols and ended up buying multiple and used them for quite some time for both EDC as well as competition and classes. Shooting striker fired guns exclusively for an extended period of time made me realize how much I love da/sa and how much I prefer it in almost every way over striker fired. I find I'm actually faster ( and no less accurate) on my first shot from the draw due to being able to start my trigger press sooner in my draw stroke resulting in my shot breaking as soon as the sights come into alignment. I realize the same can be achieved with striker fire but for me its easier with the da/sa. I believe having that longer more deliberate initial trigger pull is superior for EDC, as well as the comfort of keeping my thumb on the hammer when holstering AIWB, I could go on but will not.
    All this being said these are personal preferences and opinions and what really matters is training/ familiarization with whatever platform you adopt.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Same here. Great point. A year ago, the safety on my Shadow2 gut bumped on in the middle of a stage, and I lost maybe 5 seconds trying to figure out what was wrong.
    As a long time 1911/2011 shooter, I put the extended on my Shadow 2 and ride it just like a 1911.

I lost my division at a state IDPA championship once when my 92FS Vertec found its way on safe, and like you couldn’t figure out WTF. I subsequently sold all my “F” models.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    As a long time 1911/2011 shooter, I put the extended on my Shadow 2 and ride it just like a 1911.

I lost my division at a state IDPA championship once when my 92FS Vertec found its way on safe, and like you couldn’t figure out WTF. I subsequently sold all my “F” models.
    I put in heavy safety detent springs in all my Shadow2s. Problem solved.
    http://dsperman.com/products/CZSpring/CZSpring.html
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    You mentioned “the warts are showing...” Do you mind sharing what those are? The only things I am missing at the moment are the lighter weight and the ability to mount a dot. I’m going to pick up an mos gun sometime, just to try the dot once some more reviews come in on SRO and ACRO. Of course, I may just pickup a Holosun since I’m just interested in playing with the idea. I digress...

I’m just curious as what you are seeing as the downsides now.
    Size, weight, comfort to carry. Maybe warts was the wrong word. It’s just not as light and easy to conceal or carry as a Glock. Now that I’ve spent almost 3,000 rounds with the Beretta, I’ve improved as a shooter for sure, but don’t see much of a performance gap between the Glock and the Beretta to warrant the extra weight, thickness, etc.

I’m probably to the place of selling one Beretta. Keeping one Beretta as a “soul” gun, and funding another Glock with the Beretta proceeds, so I keep a spare of my main platform (going back to Glock).
    Last edited by ASH556; 05-04-2019 at 05:48 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Cool. Thx. What size Glock are you concealing? I feel like the 92 conceals as well at a 17 size wise. The grip seems more in line with a 19. The weight is a thing for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Size, weight, comfort to carry. Maybe warts was the wrong word. ItÂ’s just not as light and easy to conceal or carry as a Glock. Now that IÂ’ve spent almost 3,000 rounds with the Beretta, IÂ’ve improved as a shooter for sure, but donÂ’t see much of a performance gap between the Glock and the Beretta to warrant the extra weight, thickness, etc.

I’m probably to the place of selling one Beretta. Keeping one Beretta as a “soul” gun, and funding another Glock with the Beretta proceeds, so I keep a spare of my main platform (going back to Glock).

Cool. Thx. What size Glock are you concealing? I feel like the 92 conceals as well at a 17 size wise. The grip seems more in line with a 19. The weight is a thing for sure.
    17 length grip. You’re right there but Beretta definitely feels thicker and has pokey levers.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Yeah, it does seem pokey too. I guess that I never really appreciate how rounded and smooth things are on the Glock. I do notice it more when manipulating the weapon. I’m not sure if this has any real practical impact on me. I’m to new to shooting really to be able to tell my elbow from my butthole.

[ QUOTE=ASH556;877240]17 length grip. You’re right there but Beretta definitely feels thicker and has pokey levers.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it does seem pokey too. I guess that I never really appreciate how rounded and smooth things are on the Glock. I do notice it more when manipulating the weapon. I’m not sure if this has any real practical impact on me. I’m to new to shooting really to be able to tell my elbow from my butthole.

[ QUOTE=ASH556;877240]17 length grip. You’re right there but Beretta definitely feels thicker and has pokey levers.
    [/QUOTE]

Damn, I'm just weird then. I find the Beretta much rounder and less pokey with less right angles than a glock. I don't find the levers pokey at all.

The rear of the slide and the bottom of the grip are the 2 spots that typically print when I carry a g19.

User Tag List