Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Ditching 5.56 discussion

Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    From a pure ballistics view 6.5G is better. Many reports of Grendel feeding issues and bolts breaking scared me off vs the no muss no fuss 6.8. One day the industry may get it ironed out. I'm sure some 6.5G users probably are getting close by now.

I'd like to see something like the Tac 6 go mainstream. 6.8 SPC case with the shoulder bumped back to accommodate the 100gr+ class of 6mm bullets.
    Right there with you. For someone who enjoys shooting at 600+ yards the 6.8 isn't ideal. The 224V is a cool idea but it doesn't get around the big game caliber restrictions. I'd really like to see the 6.8 SPC case with either 6 or 6.5 high BC projectiles.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Right there with you. For someone who enjoys shooting at 600+ yards the 6.8 isn't ideal. The 224V is a cool idea but it doesn't get around the big game caliber restrictions. I'd really like to see the 6.8 SPC case with either 6 or 6.5 high BC projectiles.
    Hornady are you listening?!? Hole to be filled in the industry.

Seems like it's only a matter of time.

Site Supporter
    I’m a 6.8 SPC fan as well. I pretty much only shoot the Hornady 120 SST factory loads. I don’t know the exact MV, but with an ARP 16” barrel, my drop at 500 yards is 4.1 MIL. They have been great on numerous deer and hogs. It’s the only gun I hunt with when I’m hunting 300 yards or less. It suppresses well with a TBAC Ultra 7. I do not shoot subs. As others have mentioned- I think it’s not enough to be ethical (Except maybe less than 50 yards). I feel that if I wouldn’t try and kill it with .45 ACP, I should use more gun.

As to the “long range” aspect of 6.8- I think it’s fine out to 500 for targets, 300 for deer. Further than that and I’m shooting 6.5 Creedmoor or bigger.

Site Supporter
    One thing that has always appealed to me about 5.56 for home self defense is the lack of wall penetration given appropriate bullets. Are there any such loads available for 6.5 or 6.8mm?

Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    Hornady are you listening?!? Hole to be filled in the industry.

Seems like it's only a matter of time.
    Isn’t this 6.5 Grendel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote41 View Post
    Isn’t this 6.5 Grendel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's the 6mm Hagar.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Ive gotten stuck in similar thought experiments in the past.

What I generally arrive at is that trying to make the AR shoot bullets it wasn’t meant to is not ideal, and boutique calibers aren’t worth the headaches.

Give me a proper AR in .223 and a m70 featherweight in .308 or, if you must, .30-06 for bigger game.

There may be lighter stronger/faster/cheaper/better but it’s not worth the effort imo. Of course, if the journey is the point (as it so often is)...
    Last edited by rob_s; 05-07-2019 at 06:23 AM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I have a sample size of one. I shot a hog last week with a .300BLK in the shoulder, and it was DRT. It didn't even twitch. The round was a Hornady 110gr V-MAX moving at 2350fps.

I have shot several others with 5.56. With a spine or brain shot they will drop, but otherwise they are tough critters.

I haven't shot a deer with either. Where I live, the .300 BLK would be plenty sufficient for any size hooved game that we have. I am looking at getting something with a bit more reach, but it'll probably be in a bolt gun unless I just do an upper.

As an aside, I walked into a rural Walmart just now and checked out their ammo stock. They had one offering in 6.5 Creedmoor and several .300 BLK loadings. They didn't have any 7mm-08, and I have been considering a Ruger American Compact in that chambering.
    I have increased my hog sample size with the .300Blk. What I am finding is that when the distance/optic allow for me to pick a spot, I'm dropping them with one shot. When distance equals a dot-on-pig instead of dot-on-spot, I have to go looking for them. We found one. I had one at roughly 50, and it was DRT. I was running a 3x magnifier with a PRO.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I was looking at .224 Valk ballistics the other day, and unless you go past 70gr, I don't see what it does that the 5.56 doesn't.

User Tag List