Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SCD "Gadget" related malfunction

Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post
    I'm sure Tom's on it, but I'd wonder if the extractor spring and/or "spring loaded bearing" plastic end piece are in good condition. Seems like those are what ends up keeping the backplate or Gadget from falling down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    This, and I wonder if when the back plate was most recently installed, it was completely seated/clicked in. I know that in the past, I failed to get a factory piece fully locked in. And it felt like it was seated, but it was canted/cocked and just did not want to move any further due to that. It is subtle. I guess I would ask how many rounds since that piece was last installed.
    x2

The SCD is supposed to be installed only by a Glock-certified armorer, remember?

I contacted Tom just now. I am having the same problem with my G43. I don't shoot it all that often and probably had a SCD on it for two years or so. I shot it last week about 200 rounds and everything worked fine. I go to field strip it and I couldn't get the slide off, kept trying and trying till finally I look at the gadget and it looked a little off, so I pushed up on it and it snapped into place. I then detailed stripped the slide and looked for anything out of the ordinary but it all looked fine. Finished cleaning it, made sure the gadget was snapped back in place and put it in the safe.

Tonight I grab it and double checked the SCD to make sure it was in place and put 100 rounds through it. No problems other than I noticed on one mag change I found one round still in the mag on the ground, like it didn't pick up the last round. Come inside to field strip and again the slide wouldn't come off and the gadget was not snapped in place. I think I only have around 700 rounds through the gun, no more than a thousand. Don't really care for it much but I have been shooting it a lot trying to decide if I'd want a G48 or not. I have at least 6 or 8 SCD on double stack glocks and never had an issue. This issue still hasn't impeded the function of the gun, but I am worried I am firing rounds slightly out of battery or something. My original thought was maybe it is slightly out of spec but it clicks in place real positive so it has to be whatever is applying pressure to the back of the plate.

^^^Sounds recoil-related, at first blush. Of all the Glock slides snapping back and forth, it’s probably a toss up between the G43 and the G36 for which one is still retaining the most inertia at the end of its travel.

But, of course, I’m pulling that idea out of my rear.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    ^^^Sounds recoil-related, at first blush. Of all the Glock slides snapping back and forth, it’s probably a toss up between the G43 and the G36 for which one is still retaining the most inertia at the end of its travel.

But, of course, I’m pulling that idea out of my rear.
    It indeed is a snappy little gun! I had the same thing happen when shooting my G29 the first time too. Only that came out quite a ways and kept the slide going back home, but hasn't happened since so I just chalk that up to not having it seated correctly. I tried 147 gn tonight thinking maybe it wouldn't be as snappy, I was wrong lol.

Contact @Tom Jones about this.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I sent you an email through the Tau Development Group website. I didn't even think about being able to do it on this forum though. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Osborne View Post
    I can say in all honesty that I've never seen an end plate slide out of position like that, nor have I heard of that happening. In the heat of the moment, this would not have been something I would have thought to check.
    I've had it happen to stock striker plates on stock pistols, usually when some idiot (me) went overboard with lube.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 12-22-2019 at 10:57 PM.

I have not had any issues with my SCD while shooting. But I have had a hard time putting one in a G43 where I originally thought I couldn't push it up any further but it still wouldn't "click" in.

I finally figured out that it was where I was pushing it from that wasn't working. I was pushing in and up from the bottom of the plate and I guess there was so much spring pressure from the firing pin assembly it was actually pushing the top of the SCD out a little causing it not to fully go up and seat correctly. Once I put my thumb closer to the hinge and pushed in and up, it clicked and seated.

That might be something OP may want to check? Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I have not had any issues with my SCD while shooting. But I have had a hard time putting one in a G43 where I originally thought I couldn't push it up any further but it still wouldn't "click" in.

I finally figured out that it was where I was pushing it from that wasn't working. I was pushing in and up from the bottom of the plate and I guess there was so much spring pressure from the firing pin assembly it was actually pushing the top of the SCD out a little causing it not to fully go up and seat correctly. Once I put my thumb closer to the hinge and pushed in and up, it clicked and seated.

That might be something OP may want to check? Just a thought.
    This is very good advice, Thank You! I already got a return label so it is going back to the mothership now. I will feel bad if it is user error. The single stacks are more awkward trying to slide the cover plate on. I usually push it on the last bit by pushing my thumb on the bottom of the SCD. I might could try installing it again and really make sure it is seated. I definitely hear that click sound when I install it. But I notice on the G42 and G43 the plunger really wants to fly out of there compared to the double stack. I could try shooting it tomorrow night quick and see if I notice it working loose after so many rounds, or not at all. I don't see anything wrong with the internals, no unusual scuff marks or anything cracked or broken. The lower right corner of SCD has pretty good wear marks on the side facing the internals, that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I vastly prefer to be contacted through the website. You did the “right” thing. I was just letting CF know you’d already contacted me.
    Yes sir, I wasn't taking it the wrong way or anything, I am just glad I did something right for once
    It looks like I will have to be mailing it back to you tomorrow to take a look at. It is indeed walking itself slightly out of place and I made sure it was installed correctly. Pretty much every magazine it works it's way down a little. I took pictures of it if you want to look at how it is installed and then when it slides down a bit. I also took a pic of my primer strikes. I'm not sure if that has any bearing on why it does this, but I figured maybe if it is the striker spring applying most of the pressure than it looks like I am getting normal Glock strikes on my CCI primers and no light strikes to speak of.

Thanks so much for the immediate response! I really appreciate it!

User Tag List