Thread: Take Up Trigger Slack and Fast Press, or Constant Slow Press and be Surprised?

Take Up Trigger Slack and Fast Press, or Constant Slow Press and be Surprised?

I apologize if this has been discussed, I imagine it has since there's a wealth of old threads here, but I'm not sure of the technical names used for these techniques to be able to search them.

In the past, I remember being taught to squeeze the trigger slowly with constant force and the shot should be a surprise. Back then about 20 years ago, people used to refer to it as squeezing the trigger, and it seems like the last decade, everyone prefers the terminology "press" I'm indifferent on the terminology use, although a little curious what caused the change.

Lately, in things I'm reading it seems that the better way to handle the trigger (on a Glock at least) is to slowly take up the slack, and then quickly press the trigger straight to the rear. Or maybe I have it backwards and it is quickly on the slack and then slow constant pressure on the last bit?

I'm sorry if this is something like old 9mm vs 45 debates where people pick sides. I'm just recently learning about this Method 2 and not sure if there's any technical names for it to look for old discussions. I haven't taken a "pistol-specific" class in maybe 15 years. All of the courses I've taken lately have been things like ECQC. So any advances in pistol instruction over the last 15 years have been lost on me. I plan to correct that in the next year.

Edit to add that I may have gotten Method 2 backwards on which part was fast/slow.
    Last edited by powell556; 05-01-2019 at 01:13 PM.

I use "prep and press". Depending on the difficulty of the shot, the press will be either a "jerk" as fast as I can do it, or a steady and still rapid press. Dryfire using Ben Stoeger's "trigger press at speed" drill is a good way to explore what works for you. Set a timer, and on the beep, press the trigger FAST. Your goal is to figure out how to do that without moving the sights.

I do not like surprise breaks, and don't own any guns that have triggers without some takeup, and a noticeable wall.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-01-2019 at 03:08 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

You make the easy speed gains with a fast prep.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Constant Fast Press

Constant Fast Press. With Firm, Stable Grip.

Do not over-think. Works for all guns.

“Firm” does not mean crushing it so hard that one’s hands are trembling.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Neither. Because neither is really ideal.

I like predictable breaks in my triggers, because it aids tremendously in accuracy, in my experience. But what I like the most is constant weight that allows pressure applied to be constant across the length of the trigger press. If the trigger has a constant weight and breaks cleanly, you'll get a much cleaner press, whether you're doing it fast or slow.

I find the best accuracy and fastest way to press a trigger is smoothly. The same weight and press from start to finish, will produce the best results, in my experience. It can be 10-pounds DA revolver or it can be 3.5 pounds SA 1911 - I shoot them about the same, because it's constantly, clean, straight back, pressure with predictable break.

Site Supporter
    I like to think I'd be able to prep the trigger quickly, but after reviewing a lot of my match footage, I'd say I pretty much aggressively press through the trigger at a constant pressure. I'd probably even say my finger comes totally off the trigger. That's definitely something I could improve about my shooting game, but I'd say that continuous motion is my preference and will probably remain so unless I train a different method of trigger manipulation for a significant amount of time.

This video from a match I shot a while ago is probably a fairly good indicator of my C-class trigger manipulation and my finger comes pretty well off the trigger.

https://youtu.be/HlPNzG6fx1o

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I like to jerk/slap straight to the rear. no prep.

User Tag List