Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Holstered SigSauer 320 Discharges

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    It's been awhile but I'm pretty sure some those design questions got hashed out in this epic thread although in the original flaw, it took a particular type of impact to defeat the mechanisms.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....highlight=P320
    Any assumption that the following is relevant is certainly as baselessly speculative as anything else at this point, but I've always been uncomfortable with many SIG and similar striker blocks which intercept the body of the striker behind the shoulder upon which the striker spring acts or intercept the striker hook or a section behind any thinner area-- essentially anything which is both relatively more likely to fail in the event of a material defect AND in the event of failure would allow the spring to drive the tip forward unimpeded into the primer. I have much more faith in Glock, PPQ, and similar blocker placement ahead of the sprung structure of the striker, especially blockers which receive a partially oblique impact vector to disburse some force to surfaces of the blocker channel on the same horizontal plane as the striker's point of contact, wedging blocker material in the striker's path and distributing the impact through more linearly supported mass.

I'm not assuming this striker randomly broke forward of any safety retention, let alone under static tension which would be extremely surprising, just saying generally, especially given the record of poor metallurgy in SIG FCG components, that I find the shape of the striker and placement of the blocker not to be terribly comforting as an appendix carrier.

I had 4 p320s, and sent them all back for the "upgrade". When I first heard about the problem, I did some testing of my own. It was shockingly easy to make the guns fire without pulling the trigger. A 24" drop onto a carpeted floor was enough. It seems plausible that bumping a holstered gun into a wall or other object could result in a similar force vector.

I still can't understand why there has not been a mandatory recall for all pre-update p320s.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-01-2019 at 03:34 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...-middle-school

The county police had a holstered discharge of a hard-used Glock 22 some months ago so I am inclined to believe this COULD have happened. Of course, I also feel that way having finished my career with an FNS-9.
    What's the story on this Glock 22?

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    If we could, I would also be interested in hearing that story.

I already know what I need to know about the 320.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post

Yeah I didn't even raise an eyebrow at the 320 story.... but the Glock got my attention. Folks on here have tried very hard to get those to go off without a trigger pull to no avail

Site Supporter
    Yeah I didn't even raise an eyebrow at the 320 story.... but the Glock got my attention. Folks on here have tried very hard to get those to go off without a trigger pull to no avail
    Every Glock going off in a holster story aim familiar with involved a WML duty holster and something, including a kids finger in one case, getting into the gap and pulling the trigger.

I recall one involved a cop in uniform interacting with young kids (kids finger) another occurred at a funeral for another officer with “tight” seating where something got into the trigger guard.

https://www.wthr.com/article/shootin...-holstered-gun

Lehn said as two IMPD officers stood up to leave - their seats very close together - the one officer's holster somehow became entangled with either keys or a radio antenna hanging from the other officer's equipment belt

He said when the one officer stood up, the keys or antenna got caught in the holster and pulled on the trigger, discharging the gun. The bullet struck the deputy sitting behind the officer in her knee.
    https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/0...ops-gun-unhurt

A gathering designed to build relationships between Maplewood police and some grade-schoolers nearly turned tragic Monday when a child got his finger on the officer's holstered gun and pulled the trigger.

A school liaison officer at Harmony Learning Center in Maplewood was in the gym Monday afternoon talking to a group of third- and fourth-graders, the Maplewood Police Department said in a statement.

While the officer was seated on a bench, the third-grader sitting next to the officer "reached over and placed his finger into the officer's gun holster and pressed the trigger of the officer's gun causing it to discharge through the bottom of the holster," the department said, adding the bullet struck the floor and "no one was injured."

The unnamed officer did not know the child was touching his gun until the weapon discharged, according to the statement, which noted that the holster was a department-approved holster with a trigger guard that typically cannot be touched or fired in the holster, "but the child's small finger was able to reach inside."
    Last edited by HCM; 05-01-2019 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Every Glock going off in a holster story aim familiar with involved a WML duty holster and something, including a kids finger in one case, getting into the gap and pulling the trigger.

I recall one involved a cop in uniform reading to young kids (kids finger) another occurred at a funeral for another officer with “tight” seating where something got into the trigger guard.

https://www.wthr.com/article/shootin...-holstered-gun
    Years and years ago, Portland Police Bureau supposedly had one discharge in a holster when it was struck by a PR24 baton, but every time I heard the story told it was with an eye roll and some air quotes, so I'm not sure what really happened.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

It’s not easy to induce by dedicated users... that being said, some folks have a bad habit of removing the slide, pulling the striker all the way back, and letting it go. When you do this a lot, the safety plunger and firing pin interface wears. This removes some drop safety (especially since the displaced metal can seize the FPS in the upward position and if “maintenance “ includes WD40, or my personal favorite PAM cooking spray, and springs are never changed). Combine that with lack of checking striker/cruciform interface... it’s very possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    It’s not easy to induce by dedicated users... that being said, some folks have a bad habit of removing the slide, pulling the striker all the way back, and letting it go. When you do this a lot, the safety plunger and firing pin interface wears. This removes some drop safety (especially since the displaced metal can seize the FPS in the upward position and if “maintenance “ includes WD40, or my personal favorite PAM cooking spray, and springs are never changed). Combine that with lack of checking striker/cruciform interface... it’s very possible.

Good to know. I'm glad I don't do that.

Any of that.

Especially the PAM part...

Holstered SigSauer 320 Discharges

Especially the PAM part...
    That was the closest I’ve ever come to slapping a man...

Last edited by Sigfan26; 05-01-2019 at 07:08 PM.

User Tag List