Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Holstered SigSauer 320 Discharges

Site Supporter
    From what I understand, the Glock 22 was an older weapon with a broken left rear rail. This somehow resulted in failure of the striker block. The weapon discharged when it was twisted in the holster. Unfortunately, I no longer have immediate access to the report the county did on the incident, but it was determined to be a weapon rather than human failure.

The department quickly replaced the Glock 22/23 pistols with Glock 17's and 19's.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    When I first heard about the problem, I did some testing of my own. It was shockingly easy to make the guns fire without pulling the trigger. A 24" drop onto a carpeted floor was enough. It seems plausible that bumping a holstered gun into a wall or other object could result in a similar force vector.
    Like others here, I followed dropgate pretty closely. I remember a mallet strike being able to duplicate drop discharges from different angles. This is all conjecture until info as to the "voluntary upgrade" status of the SRO’s 320 comes out though. It’ll be interesting times if cafeteria cam footage shows the officer’s hands nowhere near the holster at time of discharge, that’s for sure.

And, the anecdote about a .357 cartridge in a random cylinder chamber cooking off is very scary for this AIWB and wheelie guy.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I really want to know if that pistol had been upgraded or not. If it had, then I REALLY want to know the details of how this happened (and I'm inclined to think it's operator induced). If it's pre upgrade, then, $hit yeah, I believe it could and/or WOULD go off with a sharp impact into a cinder block wall...

Wow.

That’s just a few miles up the road from me. Wesley Chapel is a Tampa bedroom community.

Will be interested to see what the final report indicates is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I really want to know if that pistol had been upgraded or not. If it had, then I REALLY want to know the details of how this happened (and I'm inclined to think it's operator induced). If it's pre upgrade, then, $hit yeah, I believe it could and/or WOULD go off with a sharp impact into a cinder block wall...
    I would actually really like to know if the voluntary update was done, as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post

It does seem to be an upgraded P320.

https://www.fox13news.com/news/local...ired-in-school

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff S. View Post
    It does seem to be an upgraded P320.

https://www.fox13news.com/news/local...ired-in-school
    That is concerning...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuckin' Sig. Even if this incident was, in reality, entirely the fault of the SRO, its still gonna reopen the wound of the "upgrade" program as opposed to the widely justified, and unconscionably ignored recall option. Just issue the goddamn recall already. Its so counter productive to end users' safety AND THE COMPANY to continue with the charade. I just don't get it.

Site Supporter
    I recently picked up one of the M17 models that was on sale for around $500 and find the safety to be pretty darn good, not quite a 1911 but maybe the best plastic frame mounted safety I’ve used. If I end up carrying a 320 variant down the road it will definitely have a manual safety. Luckily as a civilian I have that option.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    I recently picked up one of the M17 models that was on sale for around $500 and find the safety to be pretty darn good, not quite a 1911 but maybe the best plastic frame mounted safety I’ve used. If I end up carrying a 320 variant down the road it will definitely have a manual safety. Luckily as a civilian I have that option.
    Has anyone analyzed how the manual safety interfaces with the firing group and if it truly immobilizes the firing pin, after the sear interface?

User Tag List