Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Holstered SigSauer 320 Discharges

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    As in "my pistol fell out of my holster while practicing my Spetnaz backflip axe throw".
    Obligatory demonstration video:

I really need to at least try being more serious. I was happy with my P320 the way I had it originally, with the Apex straight trigger. If it weren't for the spectre of negligent liability, I would not have sent it in for the "update". Now, over a year later, I'm pissed at SIG for being a bunch of stupid asses who value profit over customer satisfaction.
    Well, there's one way to fix that...quit buying their products..One of the best ways to force change, is to cut off their cash flow..

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Well, there's one way to fix that...quit buying their products..One of the best ways to force change, is to cut off their cash flow..
    With the contracts SIG has I doubt a boycott in private sales will matter much. I don’t disagree in principle (it did hurt Dick’s for example) but look at S&W and the keylock.

In my case I bought a M17 on sale for $500 and have to admit that I like it but won’t have one without the thumb safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Like Toyota and the deaths from runaway Priuses
    Except that was media hysteria in the decade before fake news.

Edit: Here is a pretty decent summary/perspective: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...gineers-lament
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 05-10-2019 at 12:16 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Dropped in a holster isn't the same thing as what's being discussed here, and you know it.
    A blow, is a blow. There is a documented case of an FN FNS discharging in a holster while being worn. The officer had both hands full with a box of evidence and banged the holstered pistol on a steel door frame trying to juggle the door and the box. Video confirmed the officer had both hands full and did not touch the gun.

As I have already stated, fuckery on the part of the SRO is the most likely cause but. it is far from impossible that a mechanical failure could cause a fully tensioned striker pistol to discharge and I am damn sure not taking the word of a SIG rep on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    In 2002, while in the police academy at range training, a co-worker fumbled a round of factory Remington 40 S&W from waist height while loading a magazine and as it fell the primer hit a rock at just the right angle to cause it to ignite and grenade the round. The chances of that actually happening have to be less than 1 in a billion (probably 1 in a trillion), but it happened and was witnessed by about 40 academy recruits plus range staff.

It could have been a defective primer. The machine seating the primer could have caused damage to it or left it raised at the factory. It could have been just chance. Remington was never able to determine the cause so we will never know.

The point? Weird stuff happens.
    We had one go off like that. Federal 180grn JHP duty round, dropped onto pavement and went boom about 2 years back. We sent out a "safety warning" email to the office about it. No injuries, just a fire cracker pop that made everyone jump.
    Last edited by Gadfly; 05-10-2019 at 12:16 PM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    With the contracts SIG has I doubt a boycott in private sales will matter much. I don’t disagree in principle (it did hurt Dick’s for example) but look at S&W and the keylock.

In my case I bought a M17 on sale for $500 and have to admit that I like it but won’t have one without the thumb safety.
    Myself I quit buying SIG's a long time ago (around 2002)IMO, they were starting to have issues then, and it hasn't really stopped, SIG got lucky with their military contracts..The military wanted a bascially disposable pistol, and that's what they got, at some point, the military is going to wise up, and when SIG gets booted off the gravy train, they'll either have to shape up or ship out.. SIG got crossed off my list a long time ago, and the 320 just reinforces that descison.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post

Colt tried this and ended up in bankruptcy court, over and over. S&W also tried this in the Tompkins era and we almost bankrupted them with a boycott that only ended when Tompkins sold S&W for pennies on the dollar. Now both companies are our "friends". Watch your enemies closely, and your "friends" even closer.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Myself I quit buying SIG's a long time ago (around 2002)IMO, they were starting to have issues then, and it hasn't really stopped, SIG got lucky with their military contracts..The military wanted a bascially disposable pistol, and that's what they got, at some point, the military is going to wise up, and when SIG gets booted off the gravy train, they'll either have to shape up or ship out.. SIG got crossed off my list a long time ago, and the 320 just reinforces that descison.
    I actually can appreciate when these makes screw up AND subsequently resorts to shady tactics to try and act like it's no big deal. I believe in owning up to your mistakes and moving forward with dignity rather than dancing around them and playing them off. This makes it much easier for me to select who I do business with in the future, pretty big no brainer not to do business with companies involved in shady tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    We don't really know what's being discussed here. Those are the best kind.

We don't know if he fingered the gun or stumbled against the wall or what happened.
    All too true.

Florida just passed carry for teachers. While I am all for the protection of our schools and students I'm not sure about this one. I am a coach, I work with HS students. Close confines, some kids are handsey.. There needs to be serious training. I am more for dedicated school security guards. I have training, been carrying for years, competitive shooter, some military experience but I'm not comfortable.

User Tag List