Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First "Snub" Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    JM Custom Kydex has SP101 models too. I much prefer Jet Loaders or Safariland to anything twisty.

p/Bm4gObsHjgM[
    The HKS twisty was what Sportsman's Warehouse had. I didn't know there was something else. Is the straight push better because you don't have to restrain the cylinder, or is there more to it?

Quote Originally Posted by KPD View Post
    Those are really nice! I like the blued SP101s a lot!
    I agree! Only ding against it is: it's heavy!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    What kind of holster are you looking for? In kydex, JM and CCC make them. Several leather outfits like Privateer Leather.

If you want something in stock:

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLo...54-155-11-HA0)
    Actually, I wound up ordering a clipgrip. I think this will be more of a range toy than anything so I'm holding off on taking it seriously as a concealed carry piece. If I decide to carry a snub, I think I will go with a Smith & Wesson 340 PD without the internal lock. Maybe. I'll consult P-F's archives before I commit.
    Last edited by Jay585; 05-01-2019 at 05:28 PM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

I think the 340 M&P is a better deal. The U shaped rear sight and ashley dot front are fantastic. If you paint the front with fluroescent yellow even better. I don’t care for the scandium cylinders, they add little and are more trouble than they are worth. I recently scored an older 37-2 DAO that is only 12.5 oz without grips!! It is perfect with wadcutters.

IME Jets and Safariland hold their rounds better without premature release or dropping. They are faster too.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Picked up my first "snub nosed" revolver today: a Ruger Sp101, blued model.

Hat tip to Dave Spaulding (Youtube video: link) and @azerious' thread for influencing my choice. Been considering getting a DA gun to practice trigger press, and I didn't have a revolver, so this happened. Been practicing with it for a while, and something I didn't realize about revolvers is:

They're fun!

It's nice not having to rack the slide/cock the hammer, and it is challenging (in a fun way) trying to prefect the one handed DA trigger press. It's also a good workout for the hand. Damn my hand get tired after about 20 presses.

Only thing I can't figure out yet is (as a lefty) hand positioning when unloading and loading using a HKS speedloader + A-Zoom snap caps.

Any good resources for the left handed revolver shooter?

EDIT:

Who makes a decent holster for this gun? Phlster and Darkstar Gear only offer S&W J frame or LCR holsters.
    Mika holsters are the gold standard for pocket carry. Grats you like the SP101. I lusted over a Blued one the other day. I get my replacement 442 tomorrow so we will see what my future holds.

Pics of your New Ruger?
    Last edited by azerious; 05-02-2019 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by azerious View Post
    Mika holsters are the gold standard for pocket carry. Grats you like the SP101. I lusted over a Blued one the other day. I get my replacement 442 tomorrow so we will see what my future holds.

Pics of your New Ruger?
    I saw your pictures on the other post yesterday, I was literally all set to order one from grabagun until I saw your thread. Never seen a handgun look that messed up new in my life! I really hope they make it right and you get a great revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by 10mmfanboy View Post
    I saw your pictures on the other post yesterday, I was literally all set to order one from grabagun until I saw your thread. Never seen a handgun look that messed up new in my life! I really hope they make it right and you get a great revolver.
    I'll update tomorrow. I bought mine from grabagun (as most of my firearms) and they were AWESOME in handling this. Literally called yesterday to request a replacement and it's here tomorrow. +100 for CS. If this doesnt meet my standards, which are low as it is, then its automatic refund and a new choice for me.

I'm also going to run a review on the MIKA holster. Heads up, lead times are set to drastically shorten. Update to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by azerious View Post
    I'll update tomorrow. I bought mine from grabagun (as most of my firearms) and they were AWESOME in handling this. Literally called yesterday to request a replacement and it's here tomorrow. +100 for CS. If this doesnt meet my standards, which are low as it is, then its automatic refund and a new choice for me.

I'm also going to run a review on the MIKA holster. Heads up, lead times are set to drastically shorten. Update to follow.
    I look forward to both reviews, thank you.

I have always had good luck with grabagun as well. I've never had to return any firearms though. I am glad they are making it right with you. I believe them when they say it came from s&w that way unfortunately, as hard to believe as that is.

Sorry but I have to laugh out loud... I bought a snub too. Few years back, I bought a SW 640 Pro. I figured , I need a good J Frame. Then, I bought a 649 in 357. Saw Dagga’s post, and I knew I needed one.

Last purchase was a Kimber K6. So Snubs are as addictive as nicotine. Good luck, hope your bank account holds out...

This Lefty Uses Michael’s “Right-Hand” Reload

The best lefty reload is Michael de Bethencourt’s right-handed reload, which starts with both hands together, on the weapon, almost mirror-image positions of each other. Yes, I said that a lefty should use Michael de Bethencourt's right-handed reload. End the reload with the weapon in the right hand, and if necessary to fire immediately, fire right-handed. I am not kidding.

Think about it: During this reload, the left hand is handling the speedloader, Slow Strip, or loose rounds, so is doing the heavy lifting, from a dexterity point of view. Yes, the “right-handed reload” actually favors the dexterity of the left-handed person. The right-handed reload favors the dexterity of the left-handed person.

As for firing right-handed, immediately after the reload, well, again, think a moment. The need to fire immediately indicates a very-close-range shot. Very-close-range shooting is not a demanding skill, and the efficiency of keeping the weapon in the right hand, at that rushed moment, trumps precision accuracy, in my opinion. It firing immediately after the reload is not necessary, then, transfer the weapon carefully to the favored hand.

Lastly, train out of this handedness thing. There should not be a “weak” hand, with snub-guns, at close range. I can understand the desirability of maximizing long-range accuracy, by shooting with one’s better hand.

I am a left-handed person. I chose to carry “primary” on my right hip, in 1983 or 1984, for several practical reasons, when I was training to become a police officer. So, carrying my snub-gun, as a second gun, in a lefty holster, was not for purposes of “weak hand” access, was it?
    Last edited by Rex G; 05-03-2019 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

My favored holsters for my SP101s are the Milt Sparks PMK, for traditional-position on-the-hip carry, the JM Custom Kydex “George” for AIWB, and the Kramer Vertical Scabbard for AOWB. I used Alessi for ankle carry, though I rarely ankle-carry, now that my LEO-ing days are over; that was mostly a uniform-wear thing. The SP101 is quite a bit of weight to be on the ankle, anyway, which was not a comfort thing, but an inertia thing.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List