Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: RFI: Composite Lumber Decking Boards

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I did my deck like that because I knew a guy who put a nails width between the boards and when it dried the gaps were so large a thin heel on a womans shoe would go between the cracks. At this point probably 30 years later in the same house if I were going to re do it for my house id take the deck down and pour a patio. Ive seen tools like a cantilever that help push the boards up tight. The best thing to protect a deck is a roof over.
    the tool is designed such that they are taking drying into account. IIRC the gap on the tool for PT boards is 1/16" with the expectation that the gap will ~double when using "wet" wood. The tool they make for composites, which won't shrink and therefore won't grow the gap, is ~1/8".

ETA:
    now that I type all of that out, I probably should have used the composite tool on my pre-dried boards...
    Last edited by rob_s; 03-22-2022 at 04:02 PM.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Seemed relevant to this thread…

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

That looks like a pretty slick system.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List