Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Composite Lumber Decking Boards

RFI: Composite Lumber Decking Boards

So, what's the real scoop and truth on these? I've got some boards on my rear deck that are splintering, one or two with a spot of rot that needs filling or replacement and I'm coming up on needing to have the deck stained again.

Composite, (Trex etc), sounds great in theory but I read a lot of horror stories as well. Not sure what to believe.

I was thinking of replacing my boards with composite but I don't want to go to the expense only to be disappointed (or worse) down the road.

Can any of you share your knowledge and experience? Would be greatly appreciated.

I don't need to do anything immediately so I have the luxury of time to make a sound decision on whether to stay with wood or not.
    Last edited by blues; 04-30-2019 at 11:05 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I install these all the time. We actually use TimberTech.

Without boring you with details (although I can, if you want me to) it’s a far better product than wood.

Pros:
    Extremely durable
    Fade/wear resistant
    Minimal maintenance
    Doesn’t attract insects
    Never needs refinish (I shouldn’t say “never”, but not any time soon)
    Usually installed with equivalent composite rail system
    Buy once, cry once

Cons:
    Cost
    Not easily touched up (touch up kit is basically paint)
    Cost

On new construction, ballpark price for a full cedar deck (decking and rails) with treated lumber frame is appx $25/ft2. TimberTech deck with composite rails (on treated lumber frame) is appx $55. That’s just the deck itself and doesn’t include steps to the yard, which varies a lot depending on if you’ve got a walkout, platform, etc. So you can see, even on a basic 12x12 deck the difference is about $4000.

Although on my own home we used cedar. Some, like myself, and by ‘myself’ I mean my wife, just like it better. But it takes annual maintenance and after 8 years some boards are due to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They also tend to hot in the sun- but that depends on where you live, and if you tend to go barefoot outside on a regular basis.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

ALL decking can warp or sag. Most “horror stories” are from contractors who use minimum thickness planks at maximum joist spacing. Customers don’t know, they just see “Trex deck” in the contract. Structurally it passes code, the rep will say it’s fine, but you’ll have more deflection and it could sag, bow up, or warp. Composite isn’t as susceptible to this as wood, but it’s not impossible or even uncommon even if you do everything right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure hoping for good reports, because we have a contractor who is going to install a new deck with Trex flooring very soon.

Maybe 10 years ago I replaced my deck boards with Trex boards I bought at Home Depot. The old boards had splinters and cracks and were nailed in. I used a lot of screws to put down the new decking. It has been very low maintenance and trouble free. No sagging. I have had to replace several wooden support post during this time, but the decking has been fine. The guy who replaced my posts said the type of composites now are different than what I used. I don't know if that's true or not. I know my planks are suppose to be wood composite. The color choices were limited at Home Depot. I have grey boards and I was ok with that.
    Last edited by DamonL; 05-01-2019 at 06:38 AM.

Going back to 2008, we had a sizable deck built and skirted in Trexs. It looked beautiful when it was completed but after three years the decking material significantly faded and no longer matched the original color on the skirting. Also the the decking would get to hot too walk on in bare feet during the direct sun part of the day, mind you this was up in the Rust Belt not down south. My understanding is Trexs has come along way since then redesigning the material to remain more bare foot friendly. Also i think Trexs has several different grades of product now and some do not have solid color imbedded throughout. Composite decking over treated lumber everyday, the market has many excellent manufactures finding the best bang for the buck will be the tricky part.

Truly appreciate all the info gents. Feel free to keep it coming...knowledge is power.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Truly appreciate all the info gents. Feel free to keep it coming...knowledge is power.
    I second this...

I’m watching with interest, as we will need to replace a failing deck either this summer or next. And I’m leaning towards Trex or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    They also tend to hot in the sun- but that depends on where you live, and if you tend to go barefoot outside on a regular basis.
    That is true, and unavoidable. We recommend lighter colors if you expect it to be in the sun in the afternoon.

Be aware that "Trex" is like "Vaseline" or "Bobcat" - it's a specific brand. There's a lot of composite decking brands and styles, of varying quality, so make sure you know what your contractor is using.

User Tag List