Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: WMLs are Useless on CCW Pistols

Site Supporter
    There is a distinct and real possibility that a WML, when activated, will turn into a default flashlight. When this happens the gun will be pointed at things and people. This is a legally sketchy place to be in.

No thanks.

I want to decouple my illumination from my weapon. I must identify first, then engage, if needed.

I'm even to the point where I am tempted to get rid of it on my home defense weapons for the same reason.
    Last edited by fixer; 05-26-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Lot's of good comments.

For me, a hand-held light is mandatory for many reasons.

While not mandatory, I do find a pistol mounted light (WML) useful in several situations--hiking in rural areas, walking our dog at night, when my off-hand arm is occupied carrying objects or children, when the power goes out and there is not a lot of ambient light.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    There is a distinct and real possibility that a WML, when activated, will turn into a default flashlight. When this happens the gun will be pointed at things and people. This is a legally sketchy place to be in.

No thanks.

I want to decouple my illumination from my weapon. I must identify first, then engage, if needed.

I'm even to the point where I am tempted to get rid of it on my home defense weapons for the same reason.
    I think this is fundamentally a training issue. I agree that if someone won't or can't learn how to properly search and illuminate with a WML, they're better off sticking to a handheld only. Personally, I want both. The technology and product design are evolving now to where that's possible even with a concealed handgun.

Student
    Not that doing it in the first place is necessarily helpful, but how does a handheld light interact with pistol optics? Is glare a potential concern? I did ask about that during Ernest Langdon's night-fire portion but I don't remember the answers I got. Also, does the presence of a red dot provide for a significant advantage over tritium irons in low-light shooting?

Some of you may be interested in listening to what Mr. Pannone talk a bit about that Bruce Springsteen shit on Civilian Carry Radio (48:56-49:12 and then at 1:03:03-1:05:46 on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b58OO44DG3g)

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Not that doing it in the first place is necessarily helpful, but how does a handheld light interact with pistol optics? Is glare a potential concern? I did ask about that during Ernest Langdon's night-fire portion but I don't remember the answers I got. Also, does the presence of a red dot provide for a significant advantage over tritium irons in low-light shooting?

Some of you may be interested in listening to what Mr. Pannone talk a bit about that Bruce Springsteen shit on Civilian Carry Radio (48:56-49:12 and then at 1:03:03-1:05:46 on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b58OO44DG3g)
    I’ve never had an issue running a handheld light with PMO on my carry gun (since about 2011). I couldn’t tell you on the irons question. To be honest, the only light scenarios night sights were beneficial required the use of a hand held light to be sure of target and negated the night sight benefits (I’m not a police officer or operator, though. No doubt their opinions are different)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Not that doing it in the first place is necessarily helpful, but how does a handheld light interact with pistol optics? Is glare a potential concern?
    I would have to think it depends on the flashlight technique used. The Harries technique would keep the light from illuminating the optic, and from a target illumination standpoint is no different than a WML. Holding the light in a neck or temple index would allow spill from the flashlight to illuminate the sight(s), which in the case of a RMR I have do direct experience on whether glare is an issue or not.

FWIW, I've found that out to about 50 feet the target is illuminated bright enough with my EDC handheld to easily establish sight alignment without any spill light falling on the sights.

Site Supporter
    I prefer having a hand held light and a weapon mounted white light. I want both lights to have a pressure switch and an on/off switch. The surefire X300 series work well for me on rifles, shotguns and pistols. My hand held was a surefire fury with a bungee attached and adjusted so it could be wrapped around my left hand. I could clear malfunctions, reload and open doors with the light held that way. Plus it was a field expedient impact tool/DNA collector. As far as searching or challenging suspects with the WML; the rules gun safety still apply. Don’t point guns at people you don’t intend to shoot. With today’s high lumen lights use the splash effect. People that don’t want a light on the weapon may need to rethink their expectations of what the fight will be. Usually it’s not a fight; it’s a possible threat. I dislike tape switches because of their unreliability. Mission and gear drive the techniques and tactics

"Not that doing it in the first place is necessarily helpful, but how does a handheld light interact with pistol optics?"
    Never found this an issue since I went exclusively to pistol mounted RDS in 2010.

"My hand held was a surefire fury with a bungee attached and adjusted so it could be wrapped around my left hand."
    Yup--running some shock cord on my flashlight is exactly the way I rock it.

"With today’s high lumen lights use the splash effect."
    Absolutely--you don't need to directly point the weapon at the subject to get decent illumination.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post

Yup--running some shock cord on my flashlight is exactly the way I rock it.
    I know you’re not made of time, but if you possibly could snap a Q&D pic of your hand held light set up, I’d appreciate it.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    When I fished at night in isolated areas and usually alone, my pistol had a weapon mounted light. Too I carried a surefire Executive. This arrangement worked well. It aided my preparedness and allowed me to proceed with comfort. Other than in such outings, I never carried a light mounted on a weapon. I am a collector and shooter who enjoys owning firearms. When I post about having rifles or shotguns when out fishing or messing around, my intention is not to make people think that I rode up on a horse and need all the iron to survive. I like to shoot. My father's .22 pistol would serve me as well. A short and handy long gun, though, is good company and contributes to my comfort.

User Tag List