Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info and statistics on shootings

Site Supporter

Info and statistics on shootings

Here is a very well researched report from the Modern Warrior Project. It takes a bit of time to download.

https://myreadyroom.com/Modern-Warri...19)reduced.pdf

The conclusions can’t be taken as Gospel, but there is a lot of interesting info compiled from FBI UCR and LEOKA data, as well as input from major police departments like Houston, Los Angeles, and Philadelphia. There is also a lot of info from numerous private citizen gunfights viewed on surveillance video and dissected/timed.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the link.

Something that stood out to me (and is relevant to other fairly recent discussions here) is that civilians used more knives in justifiable homicides than they did rifles or shotguns.

Site Supporter
    That's because they are unlikely to have access to a rifle or shotgun away from home, but many have a knife on their person. Most violent crime (and therefore, most defenses) occur in public, not at home. This is why pistol skills should take priority over things like carbine training.

Thank you for sharing. Digging in now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Tom - thanks very much for the tip about the study. This should be interesting reading.

Thank-you for the link!

Unless I missed it I didn't find any stats on number of shots fired, only duration of encounter. The distance information is very useful, prompting me to spend more time on "close and fast" technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    That's because they are unlikely to have access to a rifle or shotgun away from home, but many have a knife on their person. Most violent crime (and therefore, most defenses) occur in public, not at home. This is why pistol skills should take priority over things like carbine training.
    I would wager that the vast majority of justifiable homicides with edged weapons were in a residence against someone the victim knew. However, finding that statistic has proven to be tough.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I would wager that the vast majority of justifiable homicides with edged weapons were in a residence against someone the victim knew. However, finding that statistic has proven to be tough.
    Absolutely correct. The majority of those cases will involve a kitchen knife grabbed in desperation as a domestic partner was beating them. No statistical citation for that, just experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    Absolutely correct. The majority of those cases will involve a kitchen knife grabbed in desperation as a domestic partner was beating them. No statistical citation for that, just experience.
    My experience as well from the medic side of things.

Some thoughts in support of up close while waiting for that to download:

Today on the way to lunch I heard footsteps coming up fast behind me, it was a tall skinny tweaker and he was running pretty much right at me. Several things then happened in very rapid succession:

- I knew immediately there wasn't going to be time to get turned all the way to face him. The half-conscious plan was to hit him hard with an elbow in the face, which I was perfectly positioned to do. it would have needed to count though, because after that it was going to take a second to get planted and balanced;

- about a millisecond after that I knew he wasn't coming after me, he was just running maybe because he was wired or maybe he was late for the bus, who knows, and his path just happened to be about one foot off my path;

- and then a fraction of a second after that, about the time he got five feet from me, he picked up on my body language (or something), stopped cold, half circled around me, and then once clear started running again. When last seen he was four blocks away.

can't personally speak to LE incidents, but the generic lesson was that things can happen very quickly, and there was no way I was even going to get my hand on my J-frame in time, if this had been real and if he had a weapon.

User Tag List