Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixed blade or spare mag? TQ or light ? 2019 current thinking

Fixed blade or spare mag? TQ or light ? 2019 current thinking

Inspired by the Batman belt thread

Let’s say you’ve decided you’ve got only room for one half of section A and B not all . One or the other - which one and why ?

A) Fixed blade OR spare mag

B) handheld light OR TQ.

Myself I do spare mag and light

We have tqs in reach in 2 positions in autos, multiple well stocked first aid kits at home.

Admittedly I don’t bother to stuff a TQ in my pocket unless my family is with me and we unass the vehicle.

This my one “lazy” CCW habit as , baring flight, I’m in a weaponized condition even when “just running to the store”.

As to the lack of fixed blade....I know. It’s probably more useful than a reload but here I am....with just a folder.

Site Supporter
    Spare mag - concealed fixed blades over 2'' are frowned upon in my county. I make do with a folder, too.

Flashlight - use it many times a week. A TQ, not so much. Figure I can always use my rigger style belt if needed and only limited to light or TQ. (Having said that, I have a SWAT-T on me at all times and SOFTT-W in the car and also one on me when dress allows).
    Last edited by SiriusBlunder; 04-29-2019 at 06:27 PM. Reason: grammar

I probably should have the TQ on my person, but I've got one in the truck and another in each of my bags. I carry a fixed blade and a light, as the light is helpful for common work tasks. ECQC convinced me a fixed blade is worth it of things get hands on. I'd rather have that as a reliable contact weapon vs twice as much pistol ammo. That's just my personal choice.

Site Supporter
    I typically carry a small fixed blade and handheld light. Spare mags and medical in the vehicle. I do carry a spare mag often, not not always.

A) fixed blade
    B) flashlight

In my "spare mag" position, I typically run a strider fixed blade. I'm never without a light, and typically don't keep a TQ on my person. so:

Front left pocket - light, keys
    Front right pocket - folding knife
    Right rear pocket - wallet
    AIWB right - pistol
    ZIWB left - Fixed blade

I refuse to carry around any more stuff. If i feel like i need another mag, I move my phone to the front right, and stick a mag in my back pocket. TQ's in my desk, in my car, in my briefcase, in my FAK at home.

You can put a WML on your handgun for the shooting problem, and use your cell-phone's light for everything else.

So I'm going to say knife and TQ. @DMWINCLE, riggers belts are pretty bad at being used as tourniquets...pretty much useless, unless you're using one of the cheapo flexible floppy ones.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Living in a state with no knife laws whatsoever, I have been able to make a small stout fixed blade work as an everyday item. Usually with the gun, light, and one spare mag. In the rare times I can't have the gun, the blade and light are always with me.
    Sourcing a quality sheath with a DCC clip from Bladerigs made all the difference in daily carry.
    Its ability to pry and pierce any material without breaking, accessible for cutting seat belts, and auto glass, far exceed what a folder can do. Use as a backup weapon ranks last to me over the others listed.
    I rarely carry my folders anymore after finding a proper sheath for the small Strider DB.
    It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun ― Mark Twight

I think the most important thing is like what you mentioned, you are weaponized even when going to the store. I think that alone is the decision that is most important.

I personally think it all comes down to what your feel comfortable with at a given time and situation. Far to many people go from one side of the ditch to the other.

I always carry a reload( I understand the stats that a reload is rarely needed)and a light(depending if I am out at evening or in buildings). Fixed blade not so much. Honestly I carry the fixed blade more for dogs then people. I’ll carry it if I am going into more urban setting or again at evening. Med kit I almost never carry on me physically, I have one I can access if need be. But honestly it comes with what you feel you might need and there are trade offs. Sometimes I feel people get so lost and start fantasizing in the actual day to day life that they make it seem if you are not rigged with a war belt you are not prepared for what will happen to you.

Folder (fixed blade=no go)
    -use it daily, not willing to give it up. Some places a pistol is not legal to carry but a knife is. So a reload is sometimes pointless.

Flashlight
    -not necessarily daily but damn close. Especially considering we live in the sticks and ain’t no street lights around here. I’ll use the knife to cut something to make a tq up if I need one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Re: knives: Although I live in a state with favorable knife laws, I am 1/2 hour from one state wherein fixed blades are a really bad idea, and another in which blade length must be no more than 3.5 inches. So, I usually carry 3" to 3.5" folders so that unplanned trips to either state are not a problem. I also prioritize gun carry over knife carry, so it is often much easier to find a place for a folder than a fixed blade. On rare occasions when I visit a state in which I cannot carry a gun, a fixed blade has not been a legal option.

I am never without a handheld light. I have very often needed the light under circumstances when the gun needed to remain holstered and concealed.

I always have a spare magazine.

I do not yet have medical supplies on my person but keep them in both my and y wife's vehicles.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 04-29-2019 at 09:48 PM.

User Tag List