Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Much Variability is Skill vs Hardware vs individual performance variation

I pretty much suck uniformly, though sometimes I have “good days” where I’m shooting really well (at least, for me) consistently.

The biggest hardware differences I’ve found relate to size, trigger type, and sights (absent weird issues like my thumb riding a slide release). I’ve shot a few pistols where the grip is small enough that I don’t get proper trigger position and I start doing weird things with my grip—e.g. P3AT, LC9s, or M&P 22 compact. These I tend to pull left.

I mostly shoot Glocks and can do OK with that trigger, but on a long DA revolver or something like my dad’s USP40 compact (it’s sort of DA, maybe the LEM trigger? I”m not sure) it gets me all kinds of messed up and shoot way low.

With sights, the configuration of irons doesn’t make a difference to me. What does, is using an MRDS. My accuracy beyond 5 or so yards improves (and improves dramatically beyond 7 yards), and I can actually track the sight between shots instead of just shooting and waiting for them to reappear in my field of vision like I do on irons. For equal time, I’m more accurate; for equal accuracy, I have better range and/or I’m faster. Pretty much on every measure I improve with an MRDS. I suspect at least part of it is vision issues.

But overall, I still suck compared to the rest of you.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    New things are of interest to me, but I code them as a distraction. I want to master one, not be a jack of all.
    I spent a LOT of money and time distracting myself with the quest to find "the perfect gun for me" and, while I would not call it a total loss - I definitely have a richer base of experience and more informed opinions as a result - I do wish I had that time and money back now! ;-)

Perspective matters IMO. If you focus too much on hardware, then the hardware will matter too much, even if just at the software level.

... and I suspect a better argument could always be made for software capabilities trumping hardware limitations rather than the reverse.
    Last edited by s0nspark; 04-30-2019 at 08:14 AM.
    "A man's character is his fate."

I think I see a fair bit of hardware variance if the pistols are of substantially different design - read that triggers, and the shooting task at hand.

Take that DoW, "How Small a Target in 2 Seconds" for example. Sunday I had great fun comparing two radically different pistols, a 43X and 9mm Operator.

When comparing intramurally between Glock models, not much hardware differences; those days its about how my technique was that day.

When I ran extended 800-2000 round comparison's between a G17 vs an M&P 5" and between a G17 and a 320 full size, I didn't see much performance variance with a few exceptions.

For example the G17 was more precise at 25 yards than the M&P and for pure splitting the 320 spilt faster for me than the 17. But the differences didn't translate into much difference in scoring the common drills.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I think the biggest thing that has helped me is sticking with something. I used to flirt around with my Glocks and XDs and M&Ps and my 1911s.
    Then I stuck with the 1911 (though three different ones) for almost two years (I only get to shoot about once a week) and really started to shoot better.
    Then I got the 2.0 Compact so I took it out for a normal Sunday session and shot it well. It made me wonder if I had been doing well because of the 1911, so I bought a 2.0 5" and have been shooting it almost as well.

So I think back when I was chasing Cinderella's slipper I was just screwing myself.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I think the biggest thing that has helped me is sticking with something.
    This...

I mean there could always be something "unknown" that might be a better (subjective) fit for a particular individual but, realistically, we all have limits as to what we can focus on and how much time and money we can devote...

I would hazard that FOCUS trumps all else at the individual level.

For better or worse ;-)
    Last edited by s0nspark; 04-30-2019 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    I mean there could always be something "unknown" that might be a better (subjective) fit for a particular individual but, realistically, we all have limits as to what we can focus on and how much time and money we can devote...
    I will admit that, even after selling all of my Glocks and XDs and backfilling with even more M&Ps, I was a bit tempted by the grip interchangeability and trigger of the 320. But I stayed strong, at least up until now, by just buying more 1911s and M&Ps until the urges go away...
    Last edited by mmc45414; 05-01-2019 at 07:06 AM.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    I spent a LOT of money and time distracting myself with the quest to find "the perfect gun for me" and, while I would not call it a total loss - I definitely have a richer base of experience and more informed opinions as a result - I do wish I had that time and money back now!
    Same, and I’m familiar with most major platforms as a result. Bit of an expensive education, but a fun one also.

I also used to say, “But I shoot 1911’s better”, which was true at the time. After switching to Glocks and shooting them almost exclusively for the last five years or so, I can say that I’m better with a Glock than I ever was with a 1911. Not because I’m using Glocks, I’m just a better shooter now (and I’ve neglected any kind of meaningful practice with 1911’s &#128528. Not that I am or was particularly good to begin with.

I see this in other sports I’ve played and coached too. Overall skill trumps everything, but preference and familiarity with certain products/platforms can help. Look at all the baseball bats they make. If you thought a bat was a bat, you’re wrong. Joe Schmoe off the street isn’t going to hit better or worse no matter what you give him. Someone who’s got the experience to make an informed decision might see an improvement based on customizations or preference, but practicing hitting fundamentals is a lot more beneficial than buying cool bats.
    Last edited by Darth_Uno; 05-01-2019 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    practicing hitting fundamentals is a lot more beneficial than buying cool bats.
    Hmm ... maybe ... ;-)

It's like playing poker.

It's about 80% skill. The other 20% I have no idea. Some say luck but without skill luck will be diminished.

So I'll say 80/20 skill/equipment.

I've seen some very good shooters with some very inexpensive equipment. I'd like to say I'm one but I'm not. I need all the help I can get.

User Tag List