Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Drawing Attention Away From Your Concealed Carry Gun (Written by: Greg Ellifritz)

You could just go “Florida Man” and carry an alligator. Zero peeps will spot the gun butt under your shirt.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Banned
    This is clearly a legitimate topic because it comes up frequently on every gun forum that I read and almost invariably every time it does somebody says "People are so busy with their iPhones and their devices that they're not paying attention to you and most of them won't even notice."

I'm not worried about the 99% who have their faces buried in their iPhones, I'm worried about the 1% who is paying attention and does know what to look for.

It's not even strictly in the context of carrying a gun but I try to dress in a way that allows me to just blend into the crowd. I've said it before but I try to look like a bean in a pile of beans.

I don't own bright colored clothes and my t-shirts don't say anything on them. I do try to wear a hat that contrasts with the rest of my outfit but that's about it.

I don't know if it's because I look like a bum myself but I have noticed several times that panhandlers will go around me to ask somebody behind me for money. So maybe I'm doing something right

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    This is clearly a legitimate topic because it comes up frequently on every gun forum that I read and almost invariably every time it does somebody says "People are so busy with their iPhones and their devices that they're not paying attention to you and most of them won't even notice."
    My wife and I were at a festival this weekend and since we were in close proximity with others, I carried my G26 IWB under a polo.

She stopped to look at some crafts so I had to stop also. This guy, who must have been buried in his phone, ran all over me. Not only a slight bump.....just mowed me down. Had I been a smaller man or frail, I would have been on the ground.

He pawed at me as we both went a bit forward and he felt me up good.....no way in the world he didn't get a good feel of the G26. I elbowed him instinctively and he apologized and went back to his phone walking on. I then did a "gear check" starting with the gun and wallet and working from there. My first inkling was he was a pro pick pocket dud but I had cargo shorts on and it has buttons on the wallet pockets. In reality, he must have been knee deep in Facebook or IG.

I need to start backing into display tents and up against walls while she is looking at stuff like this.

Perused Greg’s article yesterday, gave some good ideas I’ll try to put in to use when I can. May not help much though. I usually get pegged as LE/Mil because of how I walk/carry myself.

Think we kinda covered this stuff to an extent in this thread.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Good food for thought. I also realized I do not have enough (any) funny t-shirts.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    ...and that's the whole problem with AIWB CCW for a significant fraction of us.

In professional dress, an untucked shirt, or indeed anything covering the center-front of the body, is often out of place.

Yes, a pullover sweater, or a buttoned sport coat or suit coat can work some of the time, but not in warm weather.
    I regularly meet with executive level people in government and industry. I often wear very high quality silk guayabera shirts. They cost a bloody fortune (generally about $150 a pop), but I've never felt under-dressed. Although I am fortunate though that for the rare occasion where I do occasionally have to wear a button down we have top notch security.

N
    Last edited by newt; 04-30-2019 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerf16 View Post
    Hawaiian Shirt.
    Exactly. Blinding, glaring, mumu sized Hawaiian shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by newt View Post
    I regularly meet with executive level people in government and industry. I often wear very high quality silk guayabera shirts. They cost a bloody fortune (generally about $150 a pop), but I've never felt under-dressed. Although I am fortunate though that for the rare occasion where I do occasionally have to wear a button down we have top notch security.

N
    That's good if you can do it.

In a "suit & tie" environment where I dwell, though, the guayabera shirt would be looked at askance.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by newt View Post
    I regularly meet with executive level people in government and industry. I often wear very high quality silk guayabera shirts.
    N
    Link please? :-)
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-męme, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Link please? :-)
    I like Nat Nast: https://natnast.com/collections/spring-2019-collection

User Tag List