Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rex Delta

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I would like to know what hallucinogenic drug a person would have to be taking in order to bypass all of the following pistols:
    • Glock 19
    • Sig P320
    • HK VP9
    • M&P 2.0
    • Beretta APX
    • Walther PPQ

and buy one of these instead. Because those must be some VERY good drugs.
    Fine, I’m getting off your lawn.

More seriously, what is your sober reasoning as to how it is not possible to improve on the above choices?

I have 3 of the above and there are things about each I’d like to mix and match to suit me perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer81 View Post
    Fine, I’m getting off your lawn.

More seriously, what is your sober reasoning as to how it is not possible to improve on the above choices?

I have 3 of the above and there are things about each I’d like to mix and match to suit me perfectly.
    Well, for starters I would say don't have the "improved" model made in Slovenia, because oh yeah, when I think quality manufacturing, I think a tiny country in the Balkans. In all seriousness though, with the bevvy of options in configurations presented by the pistols listed above, I have a hard time believing that not a single one of them is serviceable for you needs and you're forced to turn to a completely unknown manufacturer. New pistols mean: no performance history, no aftermarket support, and frequently no factory support when the gun inevitably breaks.

Site Supporter
    Well, for starters I would say don't have the "improved" model made in Slovenia, because oh yeah, when I think quality manufacturing, I think a tiny country in the Balkans. In all seriousness though, with the bevvy of options in configurations presented by the pistols listed above, I have a hard time believing that not a single one of them is serviceable for you needs and you're forced to turn to a completely unknown manufacturer. New pistols mean: no performance history, no aftermarket support, and frequently no factory support when the gun inevitably breaks.
    Everyone I've talked to who has visited the Arex factory was very impressed with their operation. I'm not sure what you mean by "improved model," this is a completely new pistol for Arex.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Everyone I've talked to who has visited the Arex factory was very impressed with their operation. I'm not sure what you mean by "improved model," this is a completely new pistol for Arex.
    Improved as in an improvement on the listed pistols.

Setting aside the features and design of the Arex ReX Delta, I can speak to the design and build quality of another model, the ReX Allpha, built in the same factory. My impression of the Alpha that I own is that the manufacturing exceeds that of the best of SIG Sauer. My only issue has been too much threadlocking compound on a grip screw that made it difficult to swap grips. The Alpha is actually an improved Zastava CZ99, and the attention to detail and execution of that design is quite good. As such, I would not denigrate the ReX Delta based on its country of origin. I have been impressed enough to also purchase a ReX Zero 1 Compact. That pistol is much closer to the parent CZ99. It seems as well put together as the Alpha, but I have not shot it enough to form an opinion.

That being said, I agree that the Delta has a lot of tough competition that is proven in the marketplace, and I do not foresee myself trying a Delta.
    Last edited by farscott; 04-30-2019 at 06:29 PM.

I would like to know what hallucinogenic drug a person would have to be taking in order to bypass all of the following pistols:
    • Glock 19
    • Sig P320
    • HK VP9
    • M&P 2.0
    • Beretta APX
    • Walther PPQ

and buy one of these instead. Because those must be some VERY good drugs.
    what is your sober reasoning as to how it is not possible to improve on the above choices?

As a lawyer who works in a large law firm office setting, my tactical wardrobe during the week is by necessity mostly grey flannels and a tucked in button down shirt at a minimum, and maybe once a week or so a suit and tie. If society evolves or devolves to the point that lawyers need no longer tuck in their shirts, I’ll carry a VP9L and that will be that. Meanwhile, the gun I carry must not be apparent behind a tucked in shirt. That imposes limitations, chiefly as to the gun’s height and width.

Let’s say that before they were all lost in an unfortunate boating accident, I had a G19 Gen 5, Sig P320 Compact and VP9.

G19 - height is just under the limit to avoid obvious printing. Width is just on the borderline. If you’re looking there you might wonder about the slight bulge on my hip where the clip on my belt is (I can’t count how many times I’ve had to say to women “hey, my 4 inches is over HERE”). G19 has the SCD so I feel very confident when holstering. I shoot the G19 okay - it very accurately reflects my budding mediocrity.

P320 - a bit taller than the G19, and therefore a bit problematic. A wee bit thicker than the G19, so see above. It’s only a little bit heavier than the G19 but that little bit seems to make a difference by the end of the day. P320 has a safety, which I flick on before holstering to minimize possibility of a ND, and flick off after holstering. I tend to shoot the P320 a bit better than the G19, and feel a bit more confident with it shooting-wise.

VP9 - width about the same as the G19 but for some reason it shows like it is thinner. It’s about the same weight as the P320 but carries lighter. However, it is considerably taller than the G19 and a bit taller than the P320. I’ve carried it a few times to work but every time I go to the washroom and look in the mirror to see if anything’s showing, the butt is noticeably poking through the shirt fabric and no amount of futzing around with my holster and shirt seems to be able to fix that. I shoot the VP9 better than anything. Since we’re on the topic of Slovenia, the most famous Slovenian in America urges us to BE BEST. The VP9 makes me better than I really am. Other than the height the only drawback is the lack of a safety or something like an SCD to lessen holstering anxiety.

What to do? VP9SK with 13-round mag. As with the VP9, width isn’t an issue for some reason, and height is same as the G19. I don’t shoot it QUITE as well as the full size VP9, but close enough, and better than the G19 and about on par with the P320.

Therefore, a gun that’s the same height as the VP9SK, a little thinner, and about the same very acceptable weight, but holds 15 rather than 13, has an attraction. And therefore my willingness to assume the role of crash test dummy. Or idiot, take your pick.

Make that reasonably cautious crash test dummy. Slovenia doesn’t concern me; economically it resembles Italy and the Czech Republic more than it does Albania or Croatia. However, even though the company (Arex) seems to have a very good track record of quality, and I’ve read and heard only good things about the Zero and the Alpha, it is not a long track record. Therefore, when the Delta arrives, assuming I like it I will probably do something like the 2,000 round challenge before carrying it. Also, your point about parts availability and service is a good one. Parts for the Zero and Alpha seem to be readily available at K-Var. I expect that in due course the same will be true for the Delta but I will be keeping an eye on it. Service - we shall see. On the bright side, if it shits the bed and service sucks or repair takes forever, I have a hunch I will be able to locate and salvage the guns that were lost in the boating accident.
    Last edited by Kanye Wyoming; 04-30-2019 at 09:33 PM.

Those are all great reasons. Plus, it's always fun to check out something new. Hopefully this ends up being a winner.

Sounds like the Glock is your Huckleberry. Disengaging the 320 safety while in the holster sounds like bad hoodoo.

Not seeing why you want a 4th different carry platform.

Make that reasonably cautious crash test dummy. Slovenia doesn’t concern me; economically it resembles Italy and the Czech Republic more than it does Albania or Croatia. However, even though the company (Arex) seems to have a very good track record of quality, and I’ve read and heard only good things about the Zero and the Alpha, it is not a long track record. Therefore, when the Delta arrives, assuming I like it I will probably do something like the 2,000 round challenge before carrying it. Also, your point about parts availability and service is a good one. Parts for the Zero and Alpha seem to be readily available at K-Var. I expect that in due course the same will be true for the Delta but I will be keeping an eye on it. Service - we shall see. On the bright side, if it shits the bed and service sucks or repair takes forever, I have a hunch I will be able to locate and salvage the guns that were lost in the boating accident.
    So far the only positive reviews I have seen of any of the Rex products come from the sort of reviewers that don't have a long standing reputation for trustworthiness. But hey, it's your money, so you do you, boo. Good luck finding sights, holsters, mags, and parts.

Crash Test Dummy Collision #1

Credit to K-Var, from whom I ordered it. I got a call from the FFL today that it had arrived. FFL’s store stays open late so I picked it up tonight.

First impressions from looking it over at the store:

Wow, it’s really light and thin. Feels good.

I’m not qualified to assess manufacturing quality. Could be crappy, could be world class, I wouldn’t know.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    the striker can be blocked with the thumb while holstering.
    Yup. Like a PPS, except it protrudes even more before being released. If you thumb it firmly there’s no way the trigger moves back even a millimeter. Built in Gadget - bonus.

Grip - I’ll have a better sense when I put a larger backstrap on, but it’s a little slicker than it looks. Not slick, but slicker than I’d like. I’ll probably end up putting rough Talon grip tape across the right half.

Trigger - based on about 10 dry trigger presses I can say with authority - nothing really. It seems like it will probably turn out to be at least pretty good, possibly better than pretty good.

Home:

Fits perfectly into 4 G19 holsters, two leather, two Kydex. Doesn’t fit quite right into 1 cheapo Kydex.

Hoping to have a chance to take it for a spin this weekend. It takes XD sights, which should mean it also takes P320 Night Fisions, of which I have an extra set, so I’m also hoping to have a chance this weekend to test that.

User Tag List