Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Stuck with a Vaquero for a week

Just another opinion on the large frame vs. med frame single actions...

I own several examples of each. The medium frame guns get taken out and shot, the larger frame guns don't see nearly the same amount of use.

The medium frame Vaquero, Colt SAAs, are definitely "handier" and carry easier on the belt. It's not purely a weight thing, its a difference in proportions, the mid-frame and SAAs are right sized for the jobs I need done. A SAA in a high riding pancake, Summer Special or other similar holster is very easy to tote. Size up to a large frame Ruger, Freedom Arms 83 etc., the easy of carry is significantly diminished.

In shooting, I find the SAA proportions just about perfect. The larger frame guns feel clumsy in comparison. I very much enjoy my large frame Rugers and appreciate the capability to handle higher pressure loads, but generally only use them when I think I will need the horsepower. The rest of the time -- pig hunting, deer hunting or general boondocking, the SAA gets the nod.

I carry my New Model Blackhawk stainless .357 convertible (which means it's on the older, heaver .44 magnum frame)(and is all steel) in a tanker holster Tactical Tailor made for me when hunting; the weight is not a huge deal with this rig. I use Desert Eagle .357 magazines (with cut down springs) as reloading devices. Cartridges are Hornaday 158 gr XTP for hunting, Sellier & Bellot 158 gr for practice/competition.

And my Glock 21 (or Gen4 G22 last year) when carried as a hunting back-up is carried in a customized Tactical Tailor thigh rig; Buffalo Bore 230gr HP is my wilderness load; standard load is Speer 230 gr Gold Dots for it. Practice/competition cartridges are usually Federal Champion 230 gr aluminum case; for the G22, it's Underwood Lehigh 140 gr Xtreme Penetrators for wilderness. Federal HST 180 gr for carry, and Sellier & Bellot 180 gr for practice/competition.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 05-06-2019 at 01:05 PM.

Bunch of danged enablers on this site!
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Bunch of danged enablers on this site!
    {Shrug}. It’s what we do.

Damn the iPhone Typos!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    ^^^^^ That’s it!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Was it Caleb/@jetfire?

Caleb really does an on-point discussion about the Hi-Point in that YouTube clip. I totally agree-it makes more sense to 1) Get a decent, well-regarded gun if you can afford it; or alternatively, 2) Get a Smith & Wesson SD if you're priced out of the more expensive guns; or 3) Get a Hi-Point instead of the competing lower-priced alternatives (such as Taurus, SCCY, etc.).

His feeling is that the Hi-Point has just as much of a chance of performing satisfactorily out of the box as competing price-point guns, and will allow more money for training and ammunition.

If I'm SO'ing, or giving a New Shooter Orientation to a person who's using a Hi-Point (and so far, it hasn't happened in 12 years of competing in IDPA), I'd probably carefully watch for potential hiccups, but other wise not unduly be concerned. This weekend I'll be participating in an ASI match, where's there's a higher level of likelihood of such a pistol making an appearance.

Best, Jon

User Tag List