Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oakley 'assault' gloves - PPE or 'deadly weapon'?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I guess it depends on how you articulate what the "knuckle plating" is for.

For starters, the origin of this design* is in motorcycle gloves, there it made sense, because the hardened polymer/rubber is highly abrasion resistant. Originally, they were found on dirt-bike/off-road type gloves and were really meant to protect your knuckles from falls and/or brush/tree branches/etc. The use of them in sport biking racing makes sense for the same reason full body suit leathers do.
    Back in ancient times when I did dirt bike trail riding as a kid, mine were leather with plastic over the knuckles and fingers, like a knight's gauntlet. In fact, they were excellent in neighborhood stick fights, along with bad chivalrous accent. With my boots with plates, chest guard, helmet and armguards, I was ideally suited for any stick, rock, mud, and bb gun wars. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    I can't say how they fit everyone, but my experience with those is that the knuckle "plating" is on top of the knuckles and not in front of them. If you want to bitch slap someone the guard will probably help break bones in your hand, but they won't contact anyone when punching.
    Interesting. For me they fit over the top of the knuckles almost like MMA gloves. Which makes them worse than MMA gloves for dexterity and more likely to transfer energy to in a hand breaking way.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Fighting work being different than industrial work, impact-resistance need not meet/be-modelled around ANSI-rated impact gloves for OSHA indemnification.

We need our hands to still be usable, so there's obviously going to need to be less impact resistance within the gloves for dexterity's sake. Even the little rubber "veins" running along the top of the hand serve a purpose, even if it doesn't meet ANSI specifications for working in a factory.
    That is very true, but even for fighting I'd likely prefer the rubber "veins" vs. the hard plastic bits, if simply because the rubber bits pad my hand too. The Oakley Assaults I've handled (and to be clear, I'm talking with ones with the HARD plastic knuckles, and maybe they've changed/updated the design in the ~10 years or so since I put on a pair) had virtually no padding on the inside of the plastic either. It seemed like a good way to end up with a stack of broken carpals, given that the "knuckles" aren't held super steady (I found even with a tight fit, they slid around on my hand, where as a pair of brass knuckles held in the hand, simply do not). And then there are the dexterity issues as well.

I'm all for officers wearing gloves, I don't blame anyone on that front. Gloves are important protective pieces. I've given away half-a-dozen pairs of Hatch Dura-Thins to law enforcement friends, to make sure they are well protected. I'm just not sure the hard plastic knuckles give you much, if anything of an advantage. And as we're seeing, may be they are a liability in our litigious-prone world.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Seems reasonably likely that if they were branded with a different word, this wouldn't be happening.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    ...The guy probably bought the gloves on his own...
    The first article said that the gloves were department-issued.

According to a police source, Montsion was issued the gloves in his role as a member of the direct action response team, or DART, which monitors street gang activity for the guns and gangs unit. Montsion was assisting patrol officers the day the confrontation took place. The police source added that Ottawa police don't get specific training on how to use the gloves.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...abdi-1.4018998

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I guess it depends on how you articulate what the "knuckle plating" is for.

To be honest, I've always thought the hardened knuckle plating in these types of gloves was precisely for punching people to be more damaging than a standard fist.

For starters, the origin of this design* is in motorcycle gloves, there it made sense, because the hardened polymer/rubber is highly abrasion resistant. Originally, they were found on dirt-bike/off-road type gloves and were really meant to protect your knuckles from falls and/or brush/tree branches/etc. The use of them in sport biking racing makes sense for the same reason full body suit leathers do. I'm not convinced they make much sense on the street. Especially, not in the context of kevlar reinforced leathers, with impact absorbing/dissipating foam.

The use as "assault" gloves, has always struck me as stupid. The first argument was that the plastic knuckles helped protect the hands in the event of a fight, reducing the damage of impact. But that's totally bunk - because impact force dissipating gloves use a multi-layered approach, which protection of the fingers and knuckles coming from layers or rubber and foam, not hard plastic sewn onto relatively soft and pliable nylon/leather. And what's more, they have used that approach for ~3 decades now. Where as the "assault glove" trend (as currently expressed) has only existed for < 20 years.

Simply put hardened knuckles on gloves have a very narrow practical, legitimate, use window. And in most cases, I don't get the impression they are being used within that window.

*Noted here, because yes I know, hardened knuckle gloves pre-date motorcycles or motorcycle versions. Spike/sap gloves are similar, but not the same. The Oakley "Assault" gloves are more in the vein of late 1980s/early 1990s gloves meant for motorcycling, BMX, and skateboarding.
    The Oakley gloves have plastic knuckles. Im not a fan as they limit dexterity but are for protecting the hands against bumps when doing “tactical shit” and are not at all useful in punching someone.

Calling these “assault gloves” dates from the era when wearing bump helmets instead of actual ballistic protection was thought to be “cool.”

It’s is all a bunch of bullshit.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-29-2019 at 08:54 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The Oakley gloves have plastic knuckles. Im not a fan as they limit dexterity but are for protecting the hands against bumps when doing “tactical shit” and are not at all useful in punching someone.

Calling these “assault gloves” dates from the era when wearing bump helmets instead of actual ballistic protection was thought to be “cool.”

It’s is all a bunch of bullshit.

This is similar to my understanding as well. They were designed to offer some protection against incidental bumps when doing things like swinging a ram or clearing rooms.
    Polite Professional

I stopped punching people after breaking a finger on a guys head who didn’t want to get with the program, hard knuckle gloves wouldn’t have helped. Hammer fist strikes and throwing elbows are much more effective and safer anyway.

Expert on use of force testifies in Ottawa police officer's manslaughter trial

Former Toronto deputy police chief Michael Federico is an expert on the use of force by police, and has advised the Ontario and Canadian Associations of Chiefs of Police on the topic. All sworn police officers in Ontario are authorized to carry a firearm, pepper spray, a baton and a Taser, according to Federico. The correct response by a police officer facing a threatening situation is subjective, but their top priority should be to protect life, Federico told the court. That applies to the life of the suspect, the public and the officer in question. "Police officers have authority to use as much force as necessary to carry out their duty," Federico said, but there are caveats: "It has to be reasonable, it has to be necessary."
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ince-1.5061121

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    I stopped punching people after breaking a finger on a guys head who didn’t want to get with the program, hard knuckle gloves wouldn’t have helped. Hammer fist strikes and throwing elbows are much more effective and safer anyway.
    No parts of the skull that protects the brain is a safe target for a bare knuckle punch. Neither is the point of the chin or anywhere near the teeth. The cheek bone directly below the eye is eggshell thin and will fail before your knuckles do.

Where my mind goes everytime Tacticool Black Belt posts:

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List