Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oakley 'assault' gloves - PPE or 'deadly weapon'?

Oakley 'assault' gloves - PPE or 'deadly weapon'?

Ottawa police Const. Daniel Montsion is facing charges of manslaughter, aggravated assault and assault with a weapon, which were laid last week by Ontario's police watchdog, the Special Investigations Unit. A police source close to the investigation said the gloves are central to Montsion's assault with a weapon charge. Montsion's release conditions state he's prohibited from possessing weapons, and also prohibited from possessing "any gloves with hardened knuckle plating."
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...abdi-1.4018998

The Ottawa police officer has pleaded not guilty to manslaughter, aggravated assault and assault with a weapon in the death of Abdirahman Abdi in July 2016. The Crown alleges Abdi died as the result of repeated blows to his head administered by Montsion, who was wearing a pair of the Oakley assault gloves.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...form-1.5064376
    Last edited by Wendell; 04-28-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Oh for the love of God......

We”re they black? Detachable fingers?

I love our North neighbors, but sometimes I think the long winters have some detrimental effects....

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Oh for the love of God......

We”re they black? Detachable fingers?
    And that "thumb thing that goes up"?
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    And that "between the index & ring finger thing that goes up"
    Fixed it for ya
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Fixed it for ya
    Nicely done, sir. Nicely done...

😎
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

So I’m confused. The Constable supposedly punched a handcuffed and compliant dude a few times abs they have issues with his gloves???

Sounds like the department is in CYA mode. The guy probably bought the gloves on his own and the dept will claim immunity or something like that fit the pending lottery the family is going after.

I guess it depends on how you articulate what the "knuckle plating" is for.

To be honest, I've always thought the hardened knuckle plating in these types of gloves was precisely for punching people to be more damaging than a standard fist.

For starters, the origin of this design* is in motorcycle gloves, there it made sense, because the hardened polymer/rubber is highly abrasion resistant. Originally, they were found on dirt-bike/off-road type gloves and were really meant to protect your knuckles from falls and/or brush/tree branches/etc. The use of them in sport biking racing makes sense for the same reason full body suit leathers do. I'm not convinced they make much sense on the street. Especially, not in the context of kevlar reinforced leathers, with impact absorbing/dissipating foam.

The use as "assault" gloves, has always struck me as stupid. The first argument was that the plastic knuckles helped protect the hands in the event of a fight, reducing the damage of impact. But that's totally bunk - because impact force dissipating gloves use a multi-layered approach, which protection of the fingers and knuckles coming from layers or rubber and foam, not hard plastic sewn onto relatively soft and pliable nylon/leather. And what's more, they have used that approach for ~3 decades now. Where as the "assault glove" trend (as currently expressed) has only existed for < 20 years.

Simply put hardened knuckles on gloves have a very narrow practical, legitimate, use window. And in most cases, I don't get the impression they are being used within that window.

*Noted here, because yes I know, hardened knuckle gloves pre-date motorcycles or motorcycle versions. Spike/sap gloves are similar, but not the same. The Oakley "Assault" gloves are more in the vein of late 1980s/early 1990s gloves meant for motorcycling, BMX, and skateboarding.

I can't say how they fit everyone, but my experience with those is that the knuckle "plating" is on top of the knuckles and not in front of them. If you want to bitch slap someone the guard will probably help break bones in your hand, but they won't contact anyone when punching.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I guess it depends on how you articulate what the "knuckle plating" is for.

To be honest, I've always thought the hardened knuckle plating in these types of gloves was precisely for punching people to be more damaging than a standard fist.

For starters, the origin of this design* is in motorcycle gloves, there it made sense, because the hardened polymer/rubber is highly abrasion resistant. Originally, they were found on dirt-bike/off-road type gloves and were really meant to protect your knuckles from falls and/or brush/tree branches/etc. The use of them in sport biking racing makes sense for the same reason full body suit leathers do. I'm not convinced they make much sense on the street. Especially, not in the context of kevlar reinforced leathers, with impact absorbing/dissipating foam.

The use as "assault" gloves, has always struck me as stupid. The first argument was that the plastic knuckles helped protect the hands in the event of a fight, reducing the damage of impact. But that's totally bunk - because impact force dissipating gloves use a multi-layered approach, which protection of the fingers and knuckles coming from layers or rubber and foam, not hard plastic sewn onto relatively soft and pliable nylon/leather. And what's more, they have used that approach for ~3 decades now. Where as the "assault glove" trend (as currently expressed) has only existed for < 20 years.

Simply put hardened knuckles on gloves have a very narrow practical, legitimate, use window. And in most cases, I don't get the impression they are being used within that window.

*Noted here, because yes I know, hardened knuckle gloves pre-date motorcycles or motorcycle versions. Spike/sap gloves are similar, but not the same. The Oakley "Assault" gloves are more in the vein of late 1980s/early 1990s gloves meant for motorcycling, BMX, and skateboarding.
    Fighting work being different than industrial work, impact-resistance need not meet/be-modelled around ANSI-rated impact gloves for OSHA indemnification.

We need our hands to still be usable, so there's obviously going to need to be less impact resistance within the gloves for dexterity's sake. Even the little rubber "veins" running along the top of the hand serve a purpose, even if it doesn't meet ANSI specifications for working in a factory.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List