Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Caleb reviews the 4566

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I carried a 4566 for several years on patrol. Worked great, as did the 5906.
    Of all of the 3rd generation S&W Autos―which are some of the best guns ever made IMO―the 5906 is my favorite. I have two of them. One is NIB and the other is my very first duty weapon carried when I was a brand new, ''wet-behind-the-ears'' Deputy Sheriff.

The one model that I really regret never acquiring was the 1006. If I can find one in superior condition (that isn't priced as if it was made of pure gold), I'll likely pick it up as it is one of my two 'grail' guns.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    The gun in the video is actually one of those WV State guns. They have been turning up on the secondary market in little bits here and there. I found this one at a local gun shop who didn't know the difference between this and a regular 4506 and had $450, so I bought it on the spot.
    That's a lot of gun for $450. I was issued a 5906 and later 4006. I could have purchased my own 4506 or 4566 but held off because we were going to Glocks "next year" for several years. Our K9s were the only ones authorized a WML at the time and carried TSW guns and while the run of the mill 3rd Gens were accurate "enough" the TSW guns were noticeably more accurate.

If you are going to play with this more, the Hogue grips are a great replacement for those stock slippery ones. I just checked the Hogue site and they are still in production and pretty cheap.

When getting used to the DA/SA trigger, I had the same issue. The first DA shot was fine, it was the second SA shot that I would dump. After a while, I got used to it.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    I feel like there's a hole in the market without the 3rd gens. Not huge, maybe, but a hole nonetheless. If someone was smart... they'd fill it.

The first gun I was ever issued was a 5906. Fantastically reliable boat anchor. It felt like carrying a 25 lbs plate around in an 070 after half a shift.

The funny thing about S&W 3rd Gens is we all hated them when we had them. I cursed the size and ineffective caliber of that thing all day long. The old dudes all wanted their revolvers back and all I wanted was a 1911 or a Glock.

Looking back and comparing them to what is available now I truly appreciate the design and quality that went into them. I'd be all over a clean 5903 and honestly don't know why I don't own one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    That's a lot of gun for $450. I was issued a 5906 and later 4006. I could have purchased my own 4506 or 4566 but held off because we were going to Glocks "next year" for several years. Our K9s were the only ones authorized a WML at the time and carried TSW guns and while the run of the mill 3rd Gens were accurate "enough" the TSW guns were noticeably more accurate.

If you are going to play with this more, the Hogue grips are a great replacement for those stock slippery ones. I just checked the Hogue site and they are still in production and pretty cheap.

When getting used to the DA/SA trigger, I had the same issue. The first DA shot was fine, it was the second SA shot that I would dump. After a while, I got used to it.
    In defense of the DA trigger on this gun, there is nothing wrong with it, it's just different enough from the M9 triggers that I normally shoot to cause me minor brain farts when I'm shooting it at speed. I have no doubt that if I got real intimate with this gun I'd have it solved in no time.

In defense of the DA trigger on this gun, there is nothing wrong with it, it's just different enough from the M9 triggers that I normally shoot to cause me minor brain farts when I'm shooting it at speed. I have no doubt that if I got real intimate with this gun I'd have it solved in no time.
    I'm going to take a picture and send you the bevy of 3rd gun S&W's at my LGS. Some really neat old IPSC guns too...
    You might dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I'm going to take a picture and send you the bevy of 3rd gun S&W's at my LGS. Some really neat old IPSC guns too...
    You might dig it.
    pls no my wallet can't handle it. I have a super deep covetousness for one of those comped .40s they made for a while.

pls no my wallet can't handle it. I have a super deep covetousness for one of those comped .40s they made for a while.
    You *could* stop drinking so much expensive bourbon.
    You *could* sell some blood.

There are ways around "the problem" - how much do you want it?

Site Supporter
    I’ll trade Caleb one of my Ruger Security Sixs for his 4566.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    You *could* stop drinking so much expensive bourbon.
    You *could* sell some blood.

There are ways around "the problem" - how much do you want it?

You know, I hardly drink any expensive bourbon these days.

It'st mostly expensive scotch and tequila.

User Tag List