Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Remind Me: Which Centennials Feature Factory Night Sight?

Site Supporter
    I no longer desire night sights. On my 642 I use a crimson trace boot grip laser. On my auto pistols I prefer a white light
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Seems like the perfect J would be the 642-1 I already own with night sight.

I don't mind that the one I own only has a painted front sight, blackened rear sight because when I carry at night walking the dog, I have a headlamp on. (It's dark around here at night.)
    You can always have someone add a more visible sight to the 642.

XS makes the stick on kind which someone around here posted. There are also folks out there that cut a dovetail into the the front ramp and fit a different sight.

I believe Karl Sokol does front sight work on J frames.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I am required to qualify quarterly with my 340 M&P and 135 grain +P GDHP. you will be fine with WC.

In general the 340 and my 642 are the same in terms of recoil given similar grips.
    We really seem to like the same guns. I bought a bunch of that GDHP to go with my M&P back when the $2/box rebate was going. I reckon if we ever meet up, we'll get along just fine.

Just to pile on for Blues, the M&P 340 has a scandium frame and steel hammer and trigger pins, and the .357 rating, for overall best durability, and a steel cylinder to give it a little more weight and eliminate the flame cutting issues that come with a Ti cylinder. Big dot sight as discussed. I'm pretty sure DB once called it "the quintessential J frame" or something close to that.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    We really seem to like the same guns. I bought a bunch of that GDHP to go with my M&P back when the $2/box rebate was going. I reckon if we ever meet up, we'll get along just fine.

Just to pile on for Blues, the M&P 340 has a scandium frame and steel hammer and trigger pins, and the .357 rating, for overall best durability, and a steel cylinder to give it a little more weight and eliminate the flame cutting issues that come with a Ti cylinder. Big dot sight as discussed. I'm pretty sure DB once called it "the quintessential J frame" or something close to that.
    Pile on...I can take it.

The M&P 340 is a tempting morsel.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I’ve always wanted a 640 pro as a trainer but have never been able to talk myself into letting go of the cash for one. Same for a 340. I’ve owned several no lock 442’s and they work well for their intended purpose. Pocket or appendix carry. I still want a 340 and 640 pro just need to hit the lotto first.

Lousy weather baseball tournament today and I carried a 442 is a DSG appendix holster in a pair of sweat pants all day. Met the threat level and mode of dress perfectly.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Pile on...I can take it.

DO IT!

That one is probably the one to get. Same but different from what ya got. I think even with the steel cylinder is is a wee bit lighter?

ETA: I am one of the guys that glued on the front sight, maybe if you get the 340 you could take the 442 out of action for a while and make it a twin:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ead-of-Milling
    Last edited by mmc45414; 04-29-2019 at 08:06 AM.

Pile on...I can take it.

Do it. I graduated the academy around the time they were released, and bought one as a BUG. I’m bad to sell off guns to buy something else, but the M&P340 has never left me. Been carrying it on my ankle at work everyday for 11+ years. This is obviously just opinion, but I think it’s the best j-frame out there, mainly because of the sights.

I put these Crimson Trace grips on it, and they make it comfortable to shoot....as long as you’re shooting .38’s out of it. If you want to shoot .357’s out of it, just hit your hand with a hammer and save the ammunition. You’re accomplishing the same thing.

https://www.crimsontrace.com/01-1680

If you want to try one out before you buy, I’ll send mine to your FFL or we can meet up and you can shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Do it. I graduated the academy around the time they were released, and bought one as a BUG. I’m bad to sell off guns to buy something else, but the M&P340 has never left me. Been carrying it on my ankle at work everyday for 11+ years. This is obviously just opinion, but I think it’s the best j-frame out there, mainly because of the sights.

I put these Crimson Trace grips on it, and they make it comfortable to shoot....as long as you’re shooting .38’s out of it. If you want to shoot .357’s out of it, just hit your hand with a hammer and save the ammunition. You’re accomplishing the same thing.

https://www.crimsontrace.com/01-1680

If you want to try one out before you buy, I’ll send mine to your FFL or we can meet up and you can shoot it.
    Thanks for the offer, T. I very much appreciate it. I carried a Model 36 for years on my ankle when it was a back up, and a few (early) years as a primary when the cool guys carried one instead of a Model 15.

I'm still thinking this over. It's not a "need" as I have the 642-1, and the weight difference between the two is negligible. And if what H said above holds true, it doesn't sound that much different shooting +P ammo, (RA38B in my case), out of one.

It's really only about the sights for me...which is funny considering I went from 1988 to 2017 without night sights on my Glocks. Go figure.

Luddite? Me? Please...

There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List