Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Remind Me: Which Centennials Feature Factory Night Sight?

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Good points. I came up on Model 15's...
    Do you still have a 2" 15 Combat Masterpiece? Maybe that's the answer...
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Do you still have a 2" 15 Combat Masterpiece? Maybe that's the answer...
    That was an agency gun. Turned it in when I departed for South FL. I don't think that would be my first choice for "concealed" carry.
    I didn't mind it when I wore a sport coat or a bomber jacket up in NYC.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Good points. I came up on Model 15's and Model 36's for years. (Wish I still had my old bobbed 36.) Never owned or spent much time with other revolvers. I do like my friends big old 6" Ruger. I thought it every bit as good as, if not better than, my 3" 686+ in terms of the action.
    My first was a 15 as well. Went to the academy with a 66. When everyone was shedding their revos for S&W 3rd gen/Sig/Glock, I was buying Js and Ks for cheap. For the Js, the trigger just breaks in the right place for me and is especially comfortable with boot grips alone or original/t-grip combos. The 640 pro keeps the same dimensions from the grip to the trigger face. The extra size is all forward. It feels like a heavier J. The LCR feels foreign to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    The LCR feels foreign to me.
    Everyone has an opinion: mine agrees with yours. I just can't get behind the LCR, though I have great respect for both Ruger and the design, and can easily see why others with different hands dig them.

I do like 3" J-frames. No real downside beyond extra weight--such as it is.

As a guy who cut his teeth on K and Js, from an early age, I am surprised to find out that I may have been a Colt guy, trapped in an S&W body all this time. I arrive at age 50 with a full-on post-op conversion from K-frame to D-frame. I hope nobody judges; it's who I really am.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    A light J with night sights is the M&P 340. The 340PD, 2 ounces lighter, has red ramp that can be replaced. Don’t think the sight channel on 340PD is as wide as M&P 340. I’ve had both. Put an XS Big Dot on 340PD. Did not like. No light on either side. XS regular dot probably better.

If you’re going to AIWB, consider a King Cobra. Very accurate, nice trigger, as easy to carry as the 640Pro (Which I also had). The 3” King Cobra barrel is .75” longer than 640Pro. To me the King is a much nicer gun. YMMV. Downside of the King is not much holster availability. I have a Kramer on order for AIWB. The regular Cobra and King Cobra are built on same frame. Only the top strap is thicker on King Cobra. Grips and front sights are interchangeable.

For pocket carry, let me recommend the 43C. Very light to carry. Very fun to shoot. Has plain XS dot, no tritium insert. That can be changed. I painted mine fluorescent green. Installed a 9lbs hammer spring and 14lbs rebound spring. Polished up internals. It’s a smooth trigger. Lights off CCI ammo consistently. I run roughly one FTF per 500 on mini-mags. No FTFs on Velocitor carry ammo. I understand it’s only a .22, but you can work magic with it. 7-Yard drill, 3 rounds to 3X5 card are consistently .75 to 1 second quicker than .38 J using 148 WC.
    Last edited by Hideeho; 04-28-2019 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Got IPad Auto Corrected

Site Supporter
    Great description of your "colt guy" awakening! These revolver qualities are so very subjective. Thats one of the beauties of them in that a simple change in stocks can change one's opinion from unfavorable to favorable. The D frame is on my list of things to try this year. Better sights, 6 rounds, there could be a lot there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Everyone has an opinion: mine agrees with yours. I just can't get behind the LCR, though I have great respect for both Ruger and the design, and can easily see why others with different hands dig them.

I do like 3" J-frames. No real downside beyond extra weight--such as it is.

As a guy who cut his teeth on K and Js, from an early age, I am surprised to find out that I may have been a Colt guy, trapped in an S&W body all this time. I arrive at age 50 with a full-on post-op conversion from K-frame to D-frame. I hope nobody judges; it's who I really am.

Site Supporter
    Factory night sight - S&W 340 M&P has the XS big dot front NS and a U notch rear. It has a light weight frame.

The 640 PRO does as well but as an all steel gun it is really a belt gun vs pocket / ankle carry.

S&W has done some limited runs and custom shop guns with dovetail front NS like the 642 powerport pro.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....642-Power-Port
    Last edited by HCM; 04-28-2019 at 02:43 PM.

I have a 442 and was looking to upgrade to something with sights too. I’m looking at the MP340. It weighs less than the 442. With federal or fiocchi 148 grain wadcutters is there a difference in recoil?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
    I have a 442 and was looking to upgrade to something with sights too. I’m looking at the MP340. It weighs less than the 442. With federal or fiocchi 148 grain wadcutters is there a difference in recoil?
    I am required to qualify quarterly with my 340 M&P and 135 grain +P GDHP. you will be fine with WC.

In general the 340 and my 642 are the same in terms of recoil given similar grips.

Seems like the perfect J would be the 642-1 I already own with night sight.

I don't mind that the one I own only has a painted front sight, blackened rear sight because when I carry at night walking the dog, I have a headlamp on. (It's dark around here at night.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List