Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Remind Me: Which Centennials Feature Factory Night Sight?

Remind Me: Which Centennials Feature Factory Night Sight?

Forgive my ignorance and laziness...I just finished a bunch of work around the house and yard and need a cold one.

I just sold a custom knife this weekend, (assuming that the gentleman is satisfied), and I was toying with the idea of supplementing my 642-1 with another J-frame which would give me options. NY reload, one AIWB, one pocket, one for night walking the dog, etc.

Which of the J-frames comes with a factory mounted night sight? (I'm thinking I remember it being one of the Scandium models which might change my mind in a hurry. Not sure I want something I wouldn't enjoy shooting.)

Thanks in advance and for giving me a pass on not doing my homework. I promise not to make it a habit.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Forgive my ignorance and laziness...I just finished a bunch of work around the house and yard and need a cold one.

I just sold a custom knife this weekend, (assuming that the gentleman is satisfied), and I was toying with the idea of supplementing my 642-1 with another J-frame which would give me options. NY reload, one AIWB, one pocket, one for night walking the dog, etc.

Which of the J-frames comes with a factory mounted night sight? (I'm thinking I remember it being one of the Scandium models which might change my mind in a hurry. Not sure I want something I wouldn't enjoy shooting.)

Thanks in advance and for giving me a pass on not doing my homework. I promise not to make it a habit.
    640Pro does. Front and back. Other than that I think you’re stuck with the really lightweight ones. There are some you can add a NS to. I added a NS to a 2.5” 638 I had.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

640s and 340s all have pinned front sights that can be replaced. None of the Airweights have them.

If'n it was me - I'd go LCR (I'd even go 9mm) with boot grips, a night sight, and either the Hogue Bantam boot grips or (what I would use) the LCR Fingerless from Badger.

Last edited by 41magfan; 04-28-2019 at 01:17 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

The 640 Pro (No Lock) sounds like it would be just right if a bit heavier than I'd like. Sort of like a G26 weight-wise. Still, it could be the AIWB gun and the other a pocket gun.

Might have to look and see what the best street or LE price is.

I know the Rugers have some fans, I've only shot their bigger revolvers, though.

Appreciate the answers, guys. I've got some thinnin' to do.

BTW, does the 640 Pro fit in the DSG J-frame holster I already have for the 642-1?
    Last edited by blues; 04-28-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Not that you need my particular brand of pot-stirring, but: if you are going to go as heavy and pricey as a 640pro, I’d just go with the Colt Night Cobra instead, and get a less-busy sight picture that shoots to POA, durable finish, increased controllability, and an extra round—for not that much extra bulk.

This is coming from a guy that ran a 640 at the last ECQC I took, and then let a buddy here have it to complete his J-frame collection. I’m totally sold on the Night Cobra for steel-frame "shooting/belt" snub duty: my only remaining 2" J is my no-lock 642, because, no-lock 642.

No way I’d buy a 640 pro over the Night Cobra at this point, but you know how it goes with opinions.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Thanks for the thoughts, Sidhe. Hadn't even considered it...but I don't want to get out into ever increasing heaviness. In that case I'd just buy a new G26 if I have a strong hankering for another gun. I'll check it out though.

This is more or less something I'd be buying with "free money" in a sense.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    The 640 Pro (No Lock) sounds like it would be just right if a bit heavier than I'd like. Sort of like a G26 weight-wise. Still, it could be the AIWB gun and the other a pocket gun.

Might have to look and see what the best street or LE price is.

I know the Rugers have some fans, I've only shot their bigger revolvers, though.

Appreciate the answers, guys. I've got some thinnin' to do.

BTW, does the 640 Pro fit in the DSG J-frame holster I already have for the 642-1?
    I've done the 640 AIWB with a Bobby Mac leather holster and a 442 in a Kramer pocket holster. Its a good, comfortable to carry combo. While the other options mentioned are reliable guns, don't under estimate the familiarity factor. Your hands (Im guessing) have a lot of S&W revo time. The 640 may feel more "natural" than the others. This was the case when I tried a friend's LCR side by side with my 442. Subjective to be true but if you are looking at either a Colt or Ruger see if you can test drive first. All of your stocks, speed loaders etc are common between the 640 and others. Not sure about the DSG holster but I'm guessing not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    I've done the 640 AIWB with a Bobby Mac leather holster and a 442 in a Kramer pocket holster. Its a good, comfortable to carry combo. While the other options mentioned are reliable guns, don't under estimate the familiarity factor. Your hands (Im guessing) have a lot of S&W revo time. The 640 may feel more "natural" than the others. This was the case when I tried a friend's LCR side by side with my 442. Subjective to be true but if you are looking at either a Colt or Ruger see if you can test drive first. All of your stocks, speed loaders etc are common between the 640 and others. Not sure about the DSG holster but I'm guessing not.
    Good points. I came up on Model 15's and Model 36's for years. (Wish I still had my old bobbed 36.) Never owned or spent much time with other revolvers. I do like my friends big old 6" Ruger. I thought it every bit as good as, if not better than, my 3" 686+ in terms of the action.

22.4 for the Pro oz vs 25 even for the dark snake (same as the shortest, DAO SP-101). But, I get it.

The Night Cobra is my favorite DA/DAO wheelie I own right now--sort of splits the diff between my 3" J-frames and my 3" 65... The NC is the only DA wheelie I take to the range these days. Well, that, and the new King Cobra that I just had to have too.

But, I'm a P-F weirdo; I also regularly take my Blackhawk and single-six to the range too.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List