Thread: What is a good light/laser unit?

What is a good light/laser unit?

I'm considering buying a light/laser unit for a pistol. I was considering a TLR-2 but after seeing some people's assessment of it I'm looking elsewhere now. I don't think I can justify the price of an X400. I was looking at the Insight WL1 ( http://www.botachtactical.com/inwlsetalila.html ), but I don't know much about it. Could someone please direct me to what would be a good choice for a light/laser unit?

The WL1 series are relatively new to the market, just released last year if I recall correctly; they're not as common to the market as their X-series lights, so you might not see much direct feedback. I just bounced a message to somebody that works there....see what shakes out from that.

I think the primary intent was simply to provide the consumer with a AA option. May be stuck with "universal" light-bearing holsters if that's not gonna be a nightstand gun, only. Primary gripes with Insight MWLs is with the rail interface and the switch; properly securing it in case of the first, breaking it in the case of the second. They only have pistol remote-switches for their X-series lights. They are, however, posesed of a decent output and beam throw, are durable, and well supported by the manufacturer.

Streamlight offerings are actually pretty decent, though folks have legitimate gripes about the switch configuration and that those things can also be relatively fragile. They, too, push good light. Their cost, compared to Surefire, makes them very appealing. They are also well-supported, and holsters are WAY more common (Safariland, tons of kydex holster-makers). That screw-mount rail interface rates some blue Loctite to ensure it stays in place.

Surefire is essentially the industry standard (open to argument, admittedly). Pricey, but they flat-out WORK. The current upheaval brought on by them constantly wanting to bump output to ridiculous levels means that it's worthwhile to keep an eye out for the older models being sold off (ex: the 170-lumen X300s, that retailed for around $275 are now $192 on SKD Tac...). Holsters are both common and available. Remote switches exist for all of the common handgun models. Customer service? There's examples of folks with X200s (not made any more) still able to get them serviced.

I've used all, and now stick exclusively to SF for WMLs, but admit that I've mostly bought used because I'm unwiling to pay balls-out retail pricing for them. Fortunately, they're durable enough that that's not a big deal.

The laser aspects are all ubiquitous to me. They're all no-greater-than 5Mw, Class 3R (not eye-safe) red/visible. Not generally a fan of light/laser combos for either rifles or pistols. If the laser goes TU, generally the light goes TU (vice-versa), and the switchology is a pain in the crank, particularly if you need to change modes in a hurry for some crazy reason. Plus, holsters for light/laser is even more of a gamble than with the least common of WMLs. A pistol with some tritium sight arrangement (user's choice, and arguably a like-to-have, not a have-to-have), a light, and CT grips gives a shooter all possible limited-vis capability in a layered, reasonably relaible, relatively easy-to-control setup.

That's not to dissuade you from a light/laser module, just to provide some points to ponder. If anything, I'd try to dissuade you from purchasing from Botach because of their spotty history delivering orders in a timely fashion and the fact that the owners were implicated in defrauding the DoD to the tune of a few $million....but lots of folks have also gotten some screaming deals from them.

Quote Originally Posted by 65k10 View Post
    I'm considering buying a light/laser unit for a pistol. I was considering a TLR-2 but after seeing some people's assessment of it I'm looking elsewhere now. I don't think I can justify the price of an X400. I was looking at the Insight WL1 ( http://www.botachtactical.com/inwlsetalila.html ), but I don't know much about it. Could someone please direct me to what would be a good choice for a light/laser unit?
    Jody seems to like his Viridian CL5.
    Sheep Have Wool

Unless you run an HK, I would recommend an X300 and a CTC grip.
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Have Wool View Post
    Jody seems to like his Viridian CL5.
    I have a TLR-2 that doesn't fit my HK nut I'll find another gun for it.
    I really want a viridian C5L.

Full disclosure.... my day job is a distributor for Streamlight. Not so much the WML items but lights in general. I do have a TLR2 that fits on my HK P30 without issue and has worked well. It has not been used in a high round count class or anything like that but I estimate I have put 1000 rds through the gun with it on. I mainly use the laser for dry fire trigger control work and class / range demos. It has been dropped plenty through that and holds a good zero to 25yds.
    Taking a break from social media.

Thanks for the advice everybody. I had no intention of buying from botach (heard the stories). It was just for reference. I'll have to maybe look at the offerings from viridian, but if that doesn't look good, I think I'll just buy ammo/night sights with that money and use the TLR-1 I already own. Maybe down the road I'll consider a set of CTC Grips. This was meant for a nightstand gun so a holster wasn't as big of an issue, but what is is paying +$250 for a light/laser unit that may not be that good.

Site Supporter
    I switched from Streamlight TLR1 to the light only version of WL-1 a few months ago and have been very happy with it. One thing to keep in mind is that the TLRs have a metal body where the Insight has a plastic body. I have the Safariland 6377 holster for my M&P that fits the TLR1 and the WL1 fits fine, though holsters for other guns may vary.

I initially bought the WL1 light for my AR because I was trying to get battery commonality with my optics and light\lasers on my AR. I was also planning on getting one for my house gun too, so I tried it out. The light output is awesome on the WL1. Between the light output and the fact that it uses AA's are enough to recommend it. I have sworn by the TLR1's for the past couple of years, but the cost savings my being able to AA's outweighed my brand loyalty to Streamlight. That being said, if Streamlight came out with a TLR light that took AA's , I would buy it in a heart beat. If you aren't worried about the price of batteries, then the Surefire or the Streamlight are excellent choices. I tend to play with my flashlights a lot, so battery prices unnerve almost as much as ammo prices do.

All that being said, I agree with JMS. The reason I went with the light only is because I tend to shy away from integrated units. I have never owned and always thought that the TV\VCR or TV\DVD unit was a bad idea. I would go with a weapon mounted light and probably a Crimson Trace grip for a laser. It turns out to be more expensive, but your devices aren't lumped together if things go TU.
    Last edited by Archimagirus; 06-01-2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Got tire of typing on my phone

Quote Originally Posted by codisimo View Post
    I switched from Streamlight TLR1to the light only version of WL-1 a few months ago and have been very happy with it. One thing to keep in mind is that the TLRs have a metal body where the Insight has a plastic body. I have the Safariland 6377 holster for my M&P that fits the TLR1 and the WL1 fits fine, though holsters for other guns may vary.
    Whatever route I go, the gun in question is a Beretta 92A1 I plan to get soon, so I'm pretty limited on holsters as it is.

User Tag List