Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you do this without a Batman Utility Belt?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I don't.

Simple answer.

I don't carry everything I should carry.

My first aid kit(s) are in my daily carry bag, car, home, and office. They are comprehensive and include multiple TQs, but I don't carry a TQ on my person. I should, but I don't.

Everywhere I have these: https://www.adventuremedicalkits.com...ot-swat-t.html

For the car, office, and house I have one of these in each place: https://www.adventuremedicalkits.com...damentals.html

For my bag: https://www.adventuremedicalkits.com...t-aid-2-0.html

I'm kinda lazy in dealing with FAKs and buy the AMK setups, to keep it simple. I like the general organization and contents of the kits and merely add a few bits and pieces for myself (extra benadryl, gloves, and an epipen for my bag-based kit).
    I couldn't agree more. I'm full time federal LEO, but I work white collar investigations and spend the majority of my work time in a secure federal facility. On my belt at any given time is my pistol, one spare magazine, flashlight, and a cell phone. In my daily go-everywhere backpack are my baton, a pair of handcuffs, two extra magazines, a spare flashlight, and my medical stuff.

I know guys who wear all that gear on their belts all the time in plain clothes, and most of them have major back issues. I'm willing to accept some risk by having all of it within arms reach as opposed to attached to my person.

Some of it is good gear, a lot of it is life style. I can get away with just about anything when I do paperwork in the office. When it's time for hard manual labor compromises will be made. I can think of times when I worked construction where my gear would have been a liability if it was on my person.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    Some of it is good gear, a lot of it is life style. I can get away with just about anything when I do paperwork in the office. When it's time for hard manual labor compromises will be made. I can think of times when I worked construction where my gear would have been a liability if it was on my person.
    I own a construction company. I spend more time in the shop or truck (my "mobile office") than I do actually slinging lumber any more. But I never carried when I was actually working on site. The odds of needing it in a residential neighborhood in the middle of the day are so astronomically slim I just didn't see the need. I shouldn't say never, I let one employee go and he wasn't banging on every cylinder. That's not why I fired him, I fired him because he didn't show up for three days in a row, but he was out there enough that I carried for a couple weeks straight after that.

Other than that, guns & knives & flashlights are in the usual places. I don't always have a tourniquet on me but I have IFAK's in several locations (home, office, truck). I'll carry a TQ with me one way or another if I'm out somewhere. I know I shouldn't compromise but I stick it in a cargo pocket, or just stick it in my sock if I'm wearing jeans, or I might even just put it in my wife's purse. The last two aren't ideal, but it's better than not having one at all. "Better than not having anything" is poor rationale for a sub-optimal solution, but that's what I do.

Site Supporter
    I don't carry a lot of stuff on me. Hopefully I'll never be caught needing any of what I don't have. I do carry a mini-griptilian and a small surefire me everywhere though. I use the flashlight a lot. I have a tourniquet and nitrile gloves in the glove box of my car, my wife's car, and at home. Work is NPE for firearms, so no guns or mags with me there. I need to add more first aid supplies and see what needs to be replaced in my car bag. However, I'm have no plans to start carrying additional stuff. Lately, I've been experimenting with downsizing my thick leather wallet to one of the little Magpul card holders. So far, so good.

One of the great things about learning to carry in the internet age is that you can read hundreds of reviews about different holsters and other products, get advice on best practices, and shorten the learning curve.

One of the problems with learning to carry a gun in the internet age is that you never know who really does what, how many of them do it, and how to judge what is “normal”.

The vocal minority will have you thinking that you’re supposed to carry everything in your khakis or cargo shorts that an on-duty cop carries on his duty belt, including a full-size pistol and two spare magazines, in addition to the AR pistol and plate carrier in the trunk of the car.

The silent majority are busy carrying a Glock 42 or a j-frame and not much else.

And if you do any reading about the ridiculously uncommon non-le use of firearms in self-defense, you’ll learn that those silent majority are doing just fine.
    Last edited by rob_s; 04-29-2019 at 03:46 AM.

Banned
    Every so often I lay out my "EDC" and evaluate how often I actually use the stuff that I carry and whether or not it's worth C-ing ED.

My current "Don't leave the house without it" list consists of
    My phone
    My wallet/ keys
    A handkerchief
    A $30.00 CRKT Ignitor pocket knife
    A Gerber Multitool
    A Fenix RC05 flashlight (60 bucks, 450 lumens 3/4 inch diameter and about 4 inches long fits right in my pocket)
    A Glock 19
    2 spare magazines.

I wear Wrangler cargo pants when I'm not at work and I can carry everything but the gun the multi-tool and the spare magazines in my cargo pockets or my front pockets.

I spend the majority of my out of the house time at work but that's a different situation because I don't have to conceal most of what I'm carrying at work.

As far as the medical equipment goes, I had medical training in the Army. They sent me to Combat Lifesaver School, they sent me to EMT school, they gave me a little combat Lifesaver bag and for several years I carried it in my car everywhere I went.

In 30 years I have never been in a situation where I needed any more than a Band-Aid. One time I splinted a guy's ankle with a warning triangle but that was it.

After a while I decided that I was really just LARPing by carrying that stuff around and I quit carrying it.

When I go to the range I take a first aid kit, we have a first aid kit at home and that's about the extent of it.

Just switched back to IWB from pocket carry.

Pocket carry went like this:

1. Glock 42 or LCR in strong side front pocket. Nothing else in this pocket.
    2. Keys on carabiner clipped to belt loop.
    3. Mini-Grip in strong side rear pocket, with handkerchief.
    4. Weak side rear pocket usually empty. Occasionally a lighter, receipts, etc.
    5. Strong side front pocket, iphone facing inward against leg, wallet against back of phone. Streamlight Protac 1L clipped to rearmost edge of pocket.

Now...

1. Glock 43X in Tenicor AIWB.
    2 Keys, AirPods strong side front pocket. Mini-grip clipped to rearmost edge.
    3. Strong side rear, handkerchief.
    4. Weak side all the same as above.

Thinking about a neomag for the weak side rear pocket but I don’t have one yet.

No medical on my person. So I keep it as close as possible. Epipens and anti-seizure meds are in the picture for my kids - they ride in a backpack or wife’s purse as necessary.

I absolutely need to scatter more TQ’s about the home and cars.

I bought all the guys in our narc unit one of the Ryker AFAK’s. We carry CAT TQ’s in them, with various other things. Everyone likes them, though it does take a couple days to get used to wearing them.

Site Supporter
    Forget to mention, the cell phone. I usually try to wear LlBean or Bass Pro shirts that have two substantial front pockets and I stash the phone in there. Don't want more on my belt. Don't want to draw my phone in an emergency. However, I do know someone who was mugged for his phone and resolved the incident by drawing the phone into the face of the mugger, repeatedly. My wife says the phone by my chest will give me cancer. Oh, well.

Also have stuff in car - first aid, glass breaking, space blankets, batteries, a box of extra ammo for the EDC guns, multitool, some water, compass and whistle, magnifying glass, compact binoculars, small portable short wave radio (why?), cell charger, GPS (Garmin), some meds for gas, caffeine, pain relief (Advil), Pepto, sun screen - important here. When I go to the range, I take extra boots - because, I had a pair disintegrate on me during class once. Hand wipes! Always use them after a match before doing anything else. Extra hat. Extra ear muffs and holster for Glocks. An extra 17 round mag for them.

An old obsolete flip phone, that has a workable camera and still can call 911 with it's charger. Takes up little space.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Forget to mention, the cell phone. I usually try to wear LlBean or Bass Pro shirts that have two substantial front pockets and I stash the phone in there. Don't want more on my belt. Don't want to draw my phone in an emergency. However, I do know someone who was mugged for his phone and resolved the incident by drawing the phone into the face of the mugger, repeatedly. My wife says the phone by my chest will give me cancer. Oh, well.

Also have stuff in car - first aid, glass breaking, space blankets, batteries, a box of extra ammo for the EDC guns, multitool, some water, compass and whistle, magnifying glass, compact binoculars, small portable short wave radio (why?), cell charger, GPS (Garmin), some meds for gas, caffeine, pain relief (Advil), Pepto, sun screen - important here. When I go to the range, I take extra boots - because, I had a pair disintegrate on me during class once. Hand wipes! Always use them after a match before doing anything else. Extra hat. Extra ear muffs and holster for Glocks. An extra 17 round mag for them.

An old obsolete flip phone, that has a workable camera and still can call 911 with it's charger. Takes up little space.
    My work truck has enough crap stashed, er I mean gear strategically placed, to survive a blizzard, or to kit up and walk home in other emergencies.

User Tag List