Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How do you do this without a Batman Utility Belt?

I wear jeans most every day, and either a T-shirt or T-shirt and Fleece sweatshirt. Anything different is rare.

With that in mind, I wear/carry the following right now:

Frank Proctor/WOTG belt
    Springfield Range Officer Compact 9mm (8+1 with Federal 147gr HST) in a Vedder AIWB or a full-size 1911 in a JMCK Wing-Claw
    Spare magazine (10+1 for the 9mm, 8+1 for the .45s) carried AIWB opposite the pistol
    Ruger LCP in right front pocket (my "always" gun that goes in the pocket when I dress in the morning and doesn't leave until I go to bed)
    Utility knife (CRKT Squid) clipped in right front pocket
    Surefire Stilletto flashlight clipped in left front pocket
    Cell phone in left front pocket
    Badge wallet and general wallet in back left pocket
    right left pocket is left empty to put keys if I'm in a store, etc.
    Ryker Nylon ankle med pouch with SOFT-W, combat gauze, chest seals, shears, gloves, and a AAA FourSevens light

the Ryker med pouch took a couple days before it was comfortable and not ridiculous, but now I don't even notice it and carry it everywhere.

I'm done trying to fit my night stand in my pants. Phone, wallet, keys, gun, folder, and flashlight is the max I can do daily.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    I'm done trying to fit my night stand in my pants. Phone, wallet, keys, gun, folder, and flashlight is the max I can do daily.
    I'm pretty much a minimalist myself. Gun, knife, light are musts. Some small tools like a Leatherman Micra and small pry / screwdriver tool usually make it into the pockets as well. Anything more and it becomes cumbersome (speaking strictly for myself).
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    One of the great things about learning to carry in the internet age is that you can read hundreds of reviews about different holsters and other products, get advice on best practices, and shorten the learning curve.

One of the problems with learning to carry a gun in the internet age is that you never know who really does what, how many of them do it, and how to judge what is “normal”.

The vocal minority will have you thinking that you’re supposed to carry everything in your khakis or cargo shorts that an on-duty cop carries on his duty belt, including a full-size pistol and two spare magazines, in addition to the AR pistol and plate carrier in the trunk of the car.

The silent majority are busy carrying a Glock 42 or a j-frame and not much else.

And if you do any reading about the ridiculously uncommon non-le use of firearms in self-defense, you’ll learn that those silent majority are doing just fine.
    Totally agree with this. The J-Frame is in my pocket more and more. With little kids and keeping to a low risk environment most of the time, it's gotten harder and harder to want to load up with the Glock 19, spare mag,etc. You certainly won't be harmed by carrying all of the kit you mentioned. In fact, good on you if you do. When I motivate to "up armor", if you will, I've found using my Ares Gear belt (there are many good options here) to robustly hold up the extra weight. My mag pouch and my EDC light are clipped on to the belt. That frees up pocket space for the keys and cell phone. As an aside, I tried the NeoMag and strongly prefer the IWB mag pouch.

MOST of the time I have stuff and sometimes I don’t. I wear a suit every day, so a holster is simply a no-go. It just doesn’t work.

However, instead of a briefcase I carry a small back pack - Vertx. In the backpack is ALWAYS a med kit with TQ and more. It ALWAYS has multiple lights. It mostly totes a multi tool. I travel frequently via air and the multi tool is not an option on day trips. I am not checking luggage on day trips and I travel to low odds places of violence. Not no odds, just very low odds.

When not traveling the pack also carries a firearm (well, almost always). Also, I carry a pocket knife when not traveling, generally a small fixed Joe Watson.

It’s never perfect, but it most always something. Frankly, the odds are more likely that I will need the med kit more than the weapon, and it is virtually always with me.

I pick my battles and will have to live with the consequences.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I’m always puzzled at the folks who worry about printing, yet have so much stuff stuck on their belts and in their pockets that they look like a human Swiss Army knife. I may not see the gun, but the fact that you have 12 things clipped in your pockets and lumps around both ankles is a bit of a clue.

Snub AWIB, CRKT Ignitor T in the left front, RASC in the right front. ProTac 1L if it’s dark out. If I feel the need, two more speed strips in a back pocket pouch. Done. Sometimes I feel even that is too much. Road trips are different. USPc with usually two spares on the belt. Rifle or Mossberg behind truck seat. Plate carrier always rides there 24/7/365. All vehicles have med kits. Work bag has med kit. Range bag has med kit. Woods bag has a med kit.

Simple = Better

I am generally with a G19/G26, but a j-frame is just fine in a pocket. I think it depends on why you are carrying in the first place. I carry to protect my immediate family and get them out of bad situations. I do not play dress up or go out thinking that I am patrolling for terrorists armed with AK47s.

Reliable firearm, folding knife, and a light if going out at night...

Too many people get lost in the gear, the weapon is YOU. Hand to hand skills and physical fitness, will give you the ability and confidence to deal with most situations. Hauling all of that stuff around just limits your mobility.
    Last edited by GAP; 05-01-2019 at 08:58 AM.

A camera bag helps. Keep a small camera inside it, along with whatever gadgets, accessories, and TQs. BUT, keep the handgun and a knife on your person. A second handgun in the bag is OK

Security types may want to peek inside your bag, before one enters some places. Some places will want to keep your bag, while you shop, though this is seen less often these days, as laptops and mobile electronics proliferate. Keep these factors in mind; I would not want to be separated from s firearm, unless it was inside a proper lockbox, for which I have the key.

Think Tank makes truly excellent bags and pouches, in an amazing variety of sizes, and their site describes each one very well. Many have tethered rain covers, a very nice touch, and the constructions and materials are really good, which justifies the higher price. Manufacture is in Vietnam, not China or the USA or Bangladesh, etc, if that matters.

Want to look fashionably European? Oberwerth, made in Germany. Chapman or Billingham, made in the UK. Yes, $$$.

ETA: I am not affiliated with any of the above commercial entities. I have and use Think Tank and Chapman bags.
    Last edited by Rex G; 05-01-2019 at 11:00 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    A CAT tourniquet seems the most difficult of all the items to keep on me, but I feel it is perhaps the most important thing to carry.
    You can try the SOFTTW as it is much more compact than the CAT. I love it for how flat it folds but one handed application with it is a no-go for me even with lots of practice so I use a CAT for EDC. After trying out ways to carry it with various doodads, I gave up and just stick the CAT in my back pocket where it’s partially exposed. Everything else like gloves, chest seal and combat gauze goes into my Ryker ankle kit that I like to keep relatively slim.

As far as what I carry on a daily basis
    Glock 19 AIWB
    V Development Group belt
    Streamlight 2L-X
    afformented IFAK
    Phone, wallet and keys

I would like to carry OC spray but what I currently own is simply too bulky for me.

Thank you all for the feedback. I do have a Ryker AFAK. I took some of the advise and purchased a SOF-T W tourniquet. After doing a flat gold and wearing the AFAK for a few days, it has become much more comfortable.

User Tag List