Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best J Frame grips?

Best J Frame grips?

Getting my first 442 Pro on Monday. I was wondering if there was a “gold standard” for grips that offer better control while still being manageable for pocket carry.im a huge fan of how the Pachymayr Comptac(sp?)Grips look. Single “half banana” type look. Just not sure if that would make pocket carry a no go

with my 642c i tried both the ergo delta and hogue 3 finger grips. at least for me, the stock 2 finger uncle mike boot grips work best. it's a snubby. it's job is extreme no-print concealment. that really means a boot grip. i might pony up for a fancier altamont rubber/wood booty grip but i think it's hard to beat the stock S&W snubby grips, even for the occasional +P loads. subjectively personal stuff, so ymmv.

Name:  DSC05035.jpg
Views: 4069
Size:  84.4 KB

I must be an outlier but the OEM Hogue boot grip that came on my 642-1 feels and works great for me. Absorbs recoil well, is grippy and easy to carry concealed AIWB or in pocket.

Unless you know it doesn't work for you, (and that is what comes on your gun), give it a fair chance. Just my unsolicited two cents on the matter.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I have to agree with RFD. I haven't found a better set of stocks then the ones that come on it, and I have probably 6-8 pairs I have tried. For the pocket or the ankle, the ones that come on it are the best.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    My favorite so far is the Sile grip. Takes a little bit of detail work to clean up the quality, and I do some modest modifications. Also, they're a bit gappy on the centerline and you have to figure out how to fill that if it bothers you. But with all that done, it's the best I've found.

I have a Hogue Centennial grip and a slightly-modified Taurus boot grip I'd make you a heck of a deal on.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I'll join the chorus of encouraging you to try the stock grips before dropping money on something else. The first thing I did when I bought a 642 was research grips. After taking a two-day class with the stock two-fingers, I haven't bothered looking further.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

My only J Frame has standard shitty front ramp sight so I compensate with Crimson Trace LG-105.

the larger function of a snubby is ECQ point and shoot at maybe 5 yards max, but more like a yard or two, and done fast for both the withdrawal and probably single hand trigger pulls. sights are almost an afterthought. i put a white epoxy bead on the front sight of the 642c using a toothpick, and then blackened the fixed rear notch with a sharpie to better see that front white bead. using a staged pull to simulate single action, i can do center mass hits to maybe 15 yards, but more like 7 to 10 yards. it is what it is. this isn't a firefight handgun. there are far better primary guns for that kinda task.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    the larger function of a snubby is ECQ point and shoot at maybe 5 yards max, but more like a yard or two, and done fast for both the withdrawal and probably single hand trigger pulls. sights are almost an afterthought. i put a white epoxy bead on the front sight of the 642c using a toothpick, and then blackened the fixed rear notch with a sharpie to better see that front white bead. using a staged pull to simulate single action, i can do center mass hits to maybe 15 yards, but more like 7 to 10 yards. it is what it is. this isn't a firefight handgun. there are far better primary guns for that kinda task.
    I disagree. Every snub I have carried (which has been a few) I've shot my department's full duty qualification with 25 yard shots just fine. The J-frame is perfectly capable of good accuracy. The limiting factor is the shooter and his or her abilities.

My 640-1 is perfectly capable of 50 yard shots on 12" steel plates with Winchester 357 Magnum 158gr JHP rounds. I do it nearly every time that gun is at the range. That gun is a completely stock mid-1990's gun with a trigger that has been worn smooth with use.

Never underestimate what these little guns are capable of when you put in the time to practice.

To answer the OP's question...grips are very personal to hand size. I would say Craig Spegel's grips are the gold standards, but waits are long. Try the factory boot grips and see how you like them before looking for something else.
    Last edited by KevH; 04-28-2019 at 10:23 AM.

I like the Hogue grip - but I am really impressed with the Ergo Delta grip I have on my 640. Ugly as sin, but a complete revelation in handling and shootability. Makes me feel like an extra from Blade Runner.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List