Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: San Diego synagogue shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I also sadly agree. Antisemitism is part of the basic fabric of the two other Abrahamic religions.
    Is antigentilism part of the basic fabric of Judaism?

Site Supporter
    You can make an argument for that. Some of the strongest Yiddish curses were for wiping Christianity from existence. Was that a response against antisemitism or the development of religious tradition that was outside Jewish practice? Interesting question. However, the different power structures and the implementation of violence and discrimination is not weighted against Christians. Not that there should be such against anyone.

Having my life threatened for being Jewish, my mother having to lie about her religion to get a job during the Depression, her leaving her job as the boss would like to talk about how the Nazi programs should be adopted here, relatives who died in Austria after being told to flee and didn't - later sending please for help - gives me a different take on the threat matrix.

The problem is that many religions think they have to only path to truth to the universe and that leads to hatred and exclusion. I would be most enthusiastic about trusting my life to good people independent of their theology.

I attend a protestant church, I've never had any ill will towards jews, and I don't completely understand it..Wasn't the last go-round about 75 yrs ago, enough for everybody?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Is antigentilism part of the basic fabric of Judaism?
    I don't think so, but I'm not an SME on the topic. My experience is that most of the negative comments I've heard are derived from prior bad (historical) experience rather than an intrinsic dislike or disrespect. Then again, I've heard plenty of negative comments passed about the habits of various ethnic groups...so I dunno.

IMHO, all religions, groups, clubs, clans, are fraught with a jaundiced view of "the other"...legitimate or not.

I try to avoid membership in general except as necessary.

Sometimes I wonder about your motivation in these posts, however, Jay. Probably just my suspicious / cynical nature...and not knowing you well enough to calibrate my meter.
    Last edited by blues; 04-28-2019 at 01:51 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Christians in America are Jews best friends. The Jewish State is America’s best friend.

Christianits have often been hostile towards Jews in Europe, but that was a failure of Christians, not of Christianity.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I also sadly agree. Antisemitism is part of the basic fabric of the two other Abrahamic religions.
    In general yes, but this is an incomplete statement because in general the other two Abrahamic religions are anti “anyone.” Specifically anyone who doesn’t believe what “we” believe is going to Hell / the only “way” is through Jesus / Allah etc. in other words they aren’t specifically anti Semitic but rather anti Semitic as part of their broader xenophobia.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Christians in America are Jews best friends. The Jewish State is America’s best friend.

Christianits have often been hostile towards Jews in Europe, but that was a failure of Christians, not of Christianity.
    Some Christians in America are Jews best friends but not all and this is a relatively recent development.

https://www.dennisprager.com/why-chr...upport-israel/

Dennis Prager
    "Why are American Christians Israel’s best friends?"
    Dennis delineates the different reasons American Christians have for supporting the Jews and Israel. He believes that Jews need not be suspicious of this kindness and generosity by American Christians. In fact, Dennis believes Jews should be extremely grateful for this support.
    Major Points:
    1. There are four objections that Jews typically have to assessing their suspicion towards Christians support of Israel and Dennis refutes each one.
    2. American Christians support Jews because of the verse, “I will bless those who bless you and curse those who curse you”, referring to Jews in the Bible.
    3. Christians believe that Jews are the chosen people.
    4.Christians recognize the Jewish origins of their faith.
    5. American Christians are different than European Christians in that they care more about morality and good versus evil.

Site Supporter
    That's true. When I was in college, I took Philosophy 101. In the religion subsection, we discussed the always popular problem of good people going to Hell because they didn't acknowledge Jesus - even if they had no chance to do that (for example a good Cherokee in 1200 AD).

The Jewish kids challenged the Christians as why a loving God would consign us to eternal torment (if you buy that model of the afterlife). One kid piped up and said she asked her priest. The priest said that good Jews didn't have to go to Hell but could reach the Pearly Gates. However, we would have to stay outside on the porch.

Comments on whether there would be lemonade and could we play Canasta ended the discussion.

User Tag List