Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ollie North ousted from his NRA role

It would be nice if an NRA cap wasn't something one would have to be ashamed of wearing. (Gray man attire aside for the moment.)

If NRA members were not considered to be knuckle draggers with no social skills or forward thinking.

If NRA members were not perceived as supporting slimy, quick talking suits who come across like televangelists or infomercial salesmen...or worse...bigots and supporters of hate groups of any stripe.

If people like Nugent and Loesch were not trotted out as spokespeople for any organization I'm a member of.

If everyone felt like it was a good organization to support because it supported all Americans equally regardless of their color, ethnicity, creed, politics, gender or sexuality...all under the umbrella of supporting the 2A and a love of the Constitution, freedom and liberty.

Each of us is an ambassador for the NRA in our daily life, at least insofar as others know we are members. To which I will append the adage, "Be like Tiff". We shouldn't feel like we need to hide under rocks in regard to others knowing we are members of this organization. I'd say let's take it back, but I can't remember when it was last "ours".

And I also want to thank @joshs for fighting the good fight and putting up with the criticism hurled his way that is not of his doing or making.
    Last edited by blues; 05-18-2019 at 08:47 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    As Josh explained, the NRA does not get in individual shooting cases such as Castile or Zimmerman. The ACLU is hardly pro-gun.
    When your new President is just this side of the KKK, I am sure there are multiple reasons.

Yes I went there. Someone who was part of Stone Mountain has NO PLACE in a national organization.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 05-18-2019 at 08:22 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Could you show me the pro-gun Republican President?
    Sure. On Monday, President Trump’s administration filed an amicus brief in our challenge to NYC’s near total ban on possessing a firearm outside the home. The position of the administration is that the Second Amendment protects the right to posses a firearm outside the home for defensive purposes.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Could you show me the pro-gun Republican President?
    Yes. The one we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Sure. On Monday, President Trump’s administration filed an amicus brief in our challenge to NYC’s near total ban on possessing a firearm outside the home. The position of the administration is that the Second Amendment protects the right to posses a firearm outside the home for defensive purposes.
    Maybe for some people. For others, it's not as clear. Red State once made this observation about Trump's stance on guns:

Trump’s answer to “crime in the black community” is, basically, “tell the cops to stop and frisk more black people.”

Name:  redstate.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  70.4 KB

We could certainly do worse than Trump on the presidential pro-2A advocacy scale. But I confess, the Trump administration hasn't quite earned my complete trust on the issue of guns.
    Last edited by Tiffany Johnson; 05-18-2019 at 09:27 AM.
    www.CitizensSafety.com | www.CitizensSafetyOnline.com
    | Learn more. Plan well. Fear less.|

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany Johnson View Post
    So far, only one. Julie Golob.

As many of you know, Julie is a professional shooter and brand ambassador. She's also got a show on NRATV, which means she's on the AckMac payroll. She emailed me almost immediately after I sent the letter the first time. She confirmed that she does and will continue to abstain from any vote involving AckMac. She was gracious, thoughtful, professional, and polite. When I sent the letter the second time, again she emailed me immediately. She's been the most responsive board member by far.

I haven't posted her response yet because she said she was working on a blog post of her own to address everyone directly. I'm not sure if that's been published yet, but I think I'll go ahead and post her email in the meantime (she gave me permission to). I think it's important that folks do see that - as shocking as it may be - there are board members who are even more pleasant and humble than Marion Hammer. [emoji4]

www.FrontSightPress.com
    www.CitizensSafety.com
    www.Rangemaster.com
    Glad to see we have one good board member.

I don’t know what Marion Hammer said that she was not comfortable releasing to the public, but a basic assumption I make with anything I write, particularly during a dispute, is that my audience will be larger than I anticipate.

While I agree with respecting her wishes, it lowers my opinion of her more than anything she said would likely have done.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    The organization has had its ups and downs over the years but seems to spring back. Perhaps nonprofits occasionally are screwed by people running them. United Way and Red Cross, for example, seem to take hits over the years. I care not about these two but use them to make a point. Ollie has a credibility problem outside conservative groups and was a poor choice anyway even though he was probably correct about his criticisms.
    In the case of Red Cross, no changes to the reasons I stopped giving were ever made.

So far the response of the NRA was to get rid of one problem and keep most of the others.

Regardless of what the IRS says, if the top people in an organization make over 7 figures per year, they are not a nonprofit in my mind. I have zero desire to take hard-earned, finite, after-tax dollars from my family to support someone else’s million plus annual salary.

I genuinely hope they address this but new people all across the top will be needed. Hopefully there are enough good ones so we don’t need to get rid of everyone with experience there, but many will need to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany Johnson View Post
    So far, only one. Julie Golob.

As many of you know, Julie is a professional shooter and brand ambassador. She's also got a show on NRATV, which means she's on the AckMac payroll. She emailed me almost immediately after I sent the letter the first time. She confirmed that she does and will continue to abstain from any vote involving AckMac. She was gracious, thoughtful, professional, and polite. When I sent the letter the second time, again she emailed me immediately. She's been the most responsive board member by far.

I haven't posted her response yet because she said she was working on a blog post of her own to address everyone directly. I'm not sure if that's been published yet, but I think I'll go ahead and post her email in the meantime (she gave me permission to). I think it's important that folks do see that - as shocking as it may be - there are board members who are even more pleasant and humble than Marion Hammer. [emoji4]

www.FrontSightPress.com
    www.CitizensSafety.com
    www.Rangemaster.com
    I have been overheard multiple times saying that Tiffany Johnson and Julie Golob are not only superb ambassadors for the Second Amendment, but two of my very favorite human beings.

This is why both of you are two role models for myself and my family.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have been overheard multiple times saying that Tiffany Johnson and Julie Golob are not only superb ambassadors for the Second Amendment, but two of my very favorite human beings.

This is why both of you are two role models for myself and my family.
    I too have tried to live my life as a Black, Jewish female professional and I can't understand why I keep getting strange looks from folks around here.

(Sorry for the slight diversion and attempt at lightening the mood. And now back to our regular morning programming.)
    Last edited by blues; 05-18-2019 at 11:37 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Excerpt from from Allen West's (LTC, USA RET): Statement Regarding the NRA ⋆ The Old School Patriot
    I do not support Wayne LaPierre continuing as the EVP/CEO of the NRA. The vote in Indianapolis was by acclamation, not roll call vote. There is a cabal of cronyism operating within the NRA and that exists within the Board of Directors. It must cease, and I do not care if I draw their angst. My duty and responsibility is to the Members of the National Rifle Association, and my oath, since July 31, 1982, has been to the Constitution of the United States, not to any political party, person, or cabal.

The NRA Board of 76 is too large and needs to be reduced to 30 or less. We need term limits of four (4) terms on the Board. We need to focus the NRA, the nation’s oldest civil rights organization on its original charter, mission, training and education in marksmanship, shooting sports, and the defense of the Second Amendment.
    Read more https://theoldschoolpatriot.com/stat...regarding-nra/
    Just for the record, @Tiffany Johnson is not the only blogger covering this issue, but (not surprisingly) the media coverage is predominantly not just negative, but hostile. Easy enough to find articles in the New Yorker, NYT, WSJ, that will cover the negative issues in loving detail, but I also keep hearing that this is an orchestrated campaign financed by Bloomberg. Have no idea how much that is true, and I hate to give credence to conspiracy theories, but the leftist media (BIRM) do all seem to indulge in the same talking points an awful lot....

John Richardson at No Lawyers - Only Guns and Money has a bunch of posts, too many to link them all, including several on NRA v Ackerman McQueen et al (NRA lawsuits against the ad agency that is costing NRA big bux), Ollie North's Letter Read At NRA Meeting Of Members, and The Resolution From The NRA Meeting Of Members condemning "Wayne LaPierre as well as the Audit, Finance, and Executive Committees of the NRA Board of Directors." This is the resolution that Tiffany and so many others stood up to comment on, and which was referred to executive committee... and resulted in the Board meting remaining in executive session so long.

Turmoil In The NRA « Lawrence Person's BattleSwarm Blog
    Covers the general issues and background well, I think.

Who Are The Good Guys in All This? | Shall Not Be Questioned Which links to Tiffany's first post.
    Shall Not Be Questioned : The Key Questions
    So it turns out that people who have hated NRA and/or Wayne LaPierre for years… you might want to sit down for this, as it’s a shocking revelation… still hate NRA and Wayne LaPierre. So if I seem a little tired of this, that’s why.
    Heh. If anyone wants an executive summary of these threads, there it is...
    I Will Not Help Ack-Mac Destroy NRA | Shall Not Be Questioned
    Key takeaway here, I think, is
    I’m no great fan of Wayne’s, and I think he’s got a lot to answer for, but if it’s Wayne or Ack-Mac, I know which side I’m taking.
    Shall Not Be Questioned: This is Probably the Ack-Mac Contingent Following Up on Their Threat |

On Hammer: NRA pays lobbyist Marion Hammer big bucks, not disclosed in Tallahassee
    Last edited by Drang; 05-18-2019 at 12:37 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List