Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Ollie North ousted from his NRA role

Im not an NRA member, am not a fan of the org, don’t know how it works, etc. Based on the expansion of gun rights over the last 15 or so years, seems like old Wayne is earning his keep.

An organization that raises hundreds of millions of dollars a year paying their head 1.5 million doesn’t seem out of line. Just seems dumb on his part to not do a better job covering/justifying use of funds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    You asked for the disclosure of non-public info that I don't believe I have implied consent to share. Application of rule 1.6 to dual-role in-house counsel is somewhat complicated, but I tend to err on the side of caution.
    Understood. I did, as well. I had one run-in with the Ethics Nazis and that was enough. (End result was a "don't do that shit again" letter.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Unlike some here, I am 100% willing to believe that Trump is solidly in our corner.
    He said, in writing, that he supports an assault weapon ban and wait periods. He said, on live TV, take the guns first and go through due process second. And expressed support for universal background checks and raising the age limit to buy rifles. Then he said that national CCW wasn't going to happen.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    He said, in writing, that he supports an assault weapon ban and wait periods. He said, on live TV, take the guns first and go through due process second. And expressed support for universal background checks and raising the age limit to buy rifles. Then he said that national CCW wasn't going to happen.
    None of which is good.

However, Trump says a lot of things before he has fully thought through his plans. I have learned to judge him by what he does rather than what he says.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    None of which is good.

However, Trump says a lot of things before he has fully thought through his plans. I have learned to judge him by what he does rather than what he says.

If it were statements about some new topic I could agree that it was spontaneous word vomit. But a person who is solidly pro-gun doesn't go there at all.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    If it were statements about some new topic I could agree that it was spontaneous word vomit. But a person who is solidly pro-gun doesn't go there at all.
    I am solidly pro-gun, but have said that we have a problem when people with known mental illness and known threatening conduct are not addressed by the police.

I would never say what he said, but I also think a lot longer than him before speaking.

I will take someone who screws up with their mouth (or their Twitter) but whose actions are solid over someone who says the right things but does little or nothing.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    Im not an NRA member, am not a fan of the org, don’t know how it works, etc. Based on the expansion of gun rights over the last 15 or so years, seems like old Wayne is earning his keep.

An organization that raises hundreds of millions of dollars a year paying their head 1.5 million doesn’t seem out of line. Just seems dumb on his part to not do a better job covering/justifying use of funds.

If that money was going to the stated purpose, fine.

When it is being funneled back to the already overpaid executives through vendors, that is not ok.

The purpose isn’t just to raise money. It is to use that money to further the purpose of the organization.

If that money was going to the stated purpose, fine.

When it is being funneled back to the already overpaid executives through vendors, that is not ok.

The purpose isn’t just to raise money. It is to use that money to further the purpose of the organization.

I get what you're saying, and agree. I just don't think @ $1.5 mil salary (and benefits?) is all that much compared to achievements that I've seen in the last 15 years.
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    Most of that expansion should be credited to state level activism & legal filings. At the Federal level most participants outside the legislature are in Camp Gun Control-including Trump . It supports the argument a national gun rights agency like the NRA might do more damage then good, especially when some states like CA and NY will demographically never support gun rights no matter how much member money the NRA spends on action. Or on intern accommodations.....
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Josh, my point was the rhetorical fire seen by the GOP on the issues of abortion, gays, taxes. religious 'liberty' and immigration. That is not there for gun rights from the Congressional Leadership or President besides saying that we defend the RKBA.

We will disagree on trumpeting the Arms Treaty as a major win, it's a minor win as again it had no legal force in the USA.

Yes, some states moved to Constitutional carry and various twerks of gun laws. Those were in already deeply committed gun positive states. So that isn't a real win but just straigthening out the lines, so to speak in friendly territory. The expansion of shall issue laws was the earlier real victories and that happened before Trump. The problem is the expansion of state bans in purple states and ones that seemingly were gun friendly. A new rampage and more could occur, easily. If you take the ground and then start to lose it, you are in trouble.

There was a possibility of legislative action against state bans but it was never even considered. Yes, the votes weren't there. However, I think making it a priority and repeatedly saying so is important. Same with HPA and reciprocity. Crickets and excuses don't cut it. It was great that the Administration did chime in on NYC. How about making that a priority?

You never hear the Administration speak with fire about overturning state bans as they do with Roe or fussing about birthday cakes.

Trump - He has no principles beyond his own ego and position protection. If you believe in a basic right, you don't go off the rails because of random brain processes. As an aside, you don't go to war because of such. True believers and those who want authoritarians to take care of them, will excuse the leader for his or her stupidity and excesses. Not me.

To conclude, the basic strategy is to bait and switch on gun rights. A true RKBA solution puts folks out of business. Just like GM squelched the car that ran on tap water (LOL).

My solution would be if we had a RKBA leadership not mired in scandal, to tell the Donald quietly that if he doesn't come across with fervent, public prioritization of gun rights now - funding will go to congressional, senatorial and local progun candidates - NOT HIM. A strong congress is a better bet than some random, banning, bump of his neurons executive actions.

Obama didn't really go after gun rights and shut up Holder through Emanuel. He made noises but no action. Donald takes actions.

We will see about SCOTUS. Let's see the outcome:

1. NYC laws can stand
    2. Minor decision that just voids NYC and says legal gun owners can transport in the state if locked up, blah, blah. Will be used to reinforce state strictures like the famous Heller phrases.
    3. Laws forbidding transport and the condition of transport of firearms (unloaded, locked, etc.) are unconstitutional as they limit the right to bear arms. Thus wiping out all concealed carry bans and needs for permits. Felons still not allowed to have guns under other laws. FAT CHANCE.

User Tag List