Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Ollie North ousted from his NRA role

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

During 2017 and 2018, we had the best opportunity we have ever had to enact national concealed carry reciprocity. It passed the House once, too late to be taken up by the Senate, and does not seem to have gone anywhere beyond that.
    At this point I would have been happy with the hearing protection act. Or eliminating the prohibition on carrying on Corps of Engineers property. Or post office carry. Or any single damn thing that would support the claim that the Republicans and Trump actually support gun owners and aren't using a bogus pro-gun stance to keep the donations and votes rolling in.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    During 2017 and 2018, we had the best opportunity we have ever had to enact national concealed carry reciprocity. It passed the House once, too late to be taken up by the Senate, and does not seem to have gone anywhere beyond that.
    That is one of the things that gripes me the most. They delayed and delayed on CCW-R until it was late enough that they could say "we passed it out of the House, but the Senate won't take it up, oh well, we tried."

No. No, they didn't. If they wanted to move that bill (and the Hearing Protection Act), they could have moved it in 2017.

For years, conservatives have been saying that the Democrats take their minority base for granted and never do much for them. As far as I can see, that's how the Republicans on the Hill have been treating 2A groups: Lots of promises and no action. As far as reliable allies go, the Republicans are the Italian Army of politics.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    That is one of the things that gripes me the most. They delayed and delayed on CCW-R until it was late enough that they could say "we passed it out of the House, but the Senate won't take it up, oh well, we tried."

No. No, they didn't. If they wanted to move that bill (and the Hearing Protection Act), they could have moved it in 2017.

For years, conservatives have been saying that the Democrats take their minority base for granted and never do much for them. As far as I can see, that's how the Republicans on the Hill have been treating 2A groups: Lots of promises and no action. As far as reliable allies go, the Republicans are the Italian Army of politics.
    Excellent post.
    #RESIST

Like the rifles...matter was never (fully) raised, dropped once.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter

Republicans have taken their base for granted for well over a decade at least. It has been a source of frustration for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter

The House did pass CCR in 2017:https://www.nraila.org/articles/2017...ry-reciprocity

It wasn’t Republicans that kept CCR from becoming law. We didn’t have enough votes in the Senate for a cloture vote because we couldn’t convince enough Democrat Senators (even those in shall-issue states that already recognize permits from every state) to vote for the bill.

Site Supporter
    Not to be argumentative, but the GOP has gone to wall for other measures and proclaim the need for passing legislation about XY or Z. Same for the President. The same vigor has not been shown for the gun issues. They could have called for the vote and placed a marker about its importance. Didn't see on the news, how the Democrats fillibustered the bill. It just died away. Didn't see it attached to other necessary measures like Defense or subsidies for pet projects. There were ways to show more enthusiasm. Didn't see Mitch or Donald make a big old speech saying it was terrible that this didn't get done.

The temper tantrums on Obama Care, the tax cuts! Hair on Fire.

Gun issues, crickets, crickets. They could at least make Rachel Madow and Lawerence upset. Oh, Rachel is gun nut (but wants regulations). She shoots ARs and 1911s. Takes girl friends to the range for a first date.

Republicans have taken their base for granted for well over a decade at least. It has been a source of frustration for a long time.
    For years, conservatives have been saying that the Democrats take their minority base for granted and never do much for them. As far as I can see, that's how the Republicans on the Hill have been treating 2A groups
    Each party has groups they work to keep sharecroppin' on their plantation...
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    A PS - it would be nice to see GOP leadership have has much fervor for gun rights as they do for other issues. Abortions, immigration, gays, tax cuts, Obama care - they run around with hair on fire.

RKBA - we will defend the RKBA. That's it, that's all it ever is. Is it a major point in the State of the Union with specifics that we would like to see? NO. Ryan and McConnell - major speeches on how expanding the RKBA is important and what we want done with as much fervor as the above - NO.

Defending the RKBA means - business as usual. No chance of any major legislative solutions. Flapping your lips about the UN Treaty doesn't stop state bans or get reciprocity. The treaty had no force. We all know that but send a check for a new suit.

Average salary in the USA is about $47K. Five years to met the suit expenditures?

Now, if Gorsuch and Kavanaugh can actually get the other 3 to make a definitive decision - maybe we will have some relief. If it's a Heller show (brilliant prose) but so misinterpreted and let those misinterpretations stand, then those two Golden Boys - Feh. They were pushed for abortion more than the RKBA anyway.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    A PS - it would be nice to see GOP leadership have has much fervor for gun rights as they do for other issues. Abortions, immigration, gays, tax cuts, Obama care - they run around with hair on fire.
    What federal bills on abortions or gay rights are you talking about? RKBA is an important issue for a subset of the Republican base. Immigration, tax reform, and repealing the ACA have near uniform support across the Republican voting block. Of course those issues are going to get more coverage.

If you're talking state bills. Then, the recent surge in permitless carry states and enhanced preemption laws are pretty substantial changes for gun policy at the state level.

RKBA - we will defend the RKBA. That's it, that's all it ever is. Is it a major point in the State of the Union with specifics that we would like to see? NO. Ryan and McConnell - major speeches on how expanding the RKBA is important and what we want done with as much fervor as the above - NO.
    You should come to the ILA Forum at annual meeting. Many speeches. Much fervor.

I'm also not sure how the president can take a more adverse position to state gun control than having his SG file a brief supporting a challenge to a state gun control law. Having the United States weigh in on our side is very helpful, and not something that past administrations have ever been willing to do.

Defending the RKBA means - business as usual. No chance of any major legislative solutions. Flapping your lips about the UN Treaty doesn't stop state bans or get reciprocity. The treaty had no force.
    Again, I disagree about the ATT. I've been working on it for a long time, so I may have clouded judgement.

Now, if Gorsuch and Kavanaugh can actually get the other 3 to make a definitive decision - maybe we will have some relief. If it's a Heller show (brilliant prose) but so misinterpreted and let those misinterpretations stand, then those two Golden Boys - Feh. They were pushed for abortion more than the RKBA anyway.
    It takes a long time to develop SCOTUS precedent on constitutional issues. Without Heller and McDonald, we wouldn't have the opportunity that we do right now to get a ruling on possession outside the home (not to mention the many thousands of people who are enjoying the exercise of their rights that would have been impossible but for those decisions (carry in Illinois and D.C., one million more mags in CA this year, etc.)).

User Tag List