Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Ollie North ousted from his NRA role

Tangential, but: the NRA-ILA newsletter yields a little good news for WA state today.

"On May 20th, the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington rejected a motion by the government defendants to dismiss the lawsuit filed by NRA and the SAF against Washington’s gun control ballot initiative, I-1639. The lawsuit may now proceed.

NRA and SAF previously filed the lawsuit in November, 2018. Initiative 1639 classifies ordinary, recreational firearms in common use as “assault” weapons, denies young adults the right to self-protection, and bans the sale of firearms to out-of-state residents. The provision restricting the Second Amendment rights of young adults went into effect on January 1st, 2019. The other provisions are set to take effect on July 1st, 2019."

I'd be just as happy if this 1639 thing got torpedoed by the NRA and SAF before July 1.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

The NRA just sent a tone deaf email to their member base. Yet they’re so glad to correspond with members that they ask for response emails to be redacted?! Here is a snapshot;

“Of course, our discussions were portrayed as a sort of family feud. (Infighting at the NRA - Chaos and Controversy!). At the NRA, we take pride in the fact that our Association is inclusive and invites the active participation of every member. Every member has an opportunity to voice any concern they may have at the Members Meeting. In fact, our greatest privilege is hearing from our members. Like many of you, that's why we were at the Members Meeting in the first place and spent countless hours on the convention floor.”

The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

In fact, our greatest privilege is hearing from our members.

I'm still awaiting a reply to an email I sent to the NRA over six months ago regarding my membership and (alleged) benefits.

I gave them the same favor of (no) reply when they came around during the holidays and asked for me to bump my "life" membership to "endowment". Yeah, I'll just get that check right on out.

Oh, and I actually re-sent the email once or twice over the past six months...and still...crickets.

Yeah, I know I can call and get some rep on the phone...but it's still pretty damn sad customer service nonetheless.
    Last edited by blues; 05-23-2019 at 08:14 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The NRA letter, posted in its entirety.

May 22, 2019

Dear Fellow NRA Member:

Since the NRA was founded almost 150 years ago, our adversaries have repeatedly tried to take us down. Today is no different. A recent burst of media claims the NRA is vulnerable, financially unstable, and weakened in its fight to defend the Second Amendment. Obviously intent on not letting the facts get in the way of a good story, most reports offer a distorted and inaccurate view of the NRA. As officers and past presidents of the NRA, we write today to set the record straight.

As you may know, we recently convened in Indianapolis for one of the largest NRA conventions in our history. More than 80,000 of our members showed up to gather as one NRA family - to support our Association and celebrate our nation's constitutional freedoms. During our annual Members Meeting on April 27, some asked for greater insight into three issues: the NRA's financial affairs, our direction and strategy, and the supervisory role being played by our board of directors. We had an open forum and spirited discussion.

Of course, our discussions were portrayed as a sort of family feud. (Infighting at the NRA - Chaos and Controversy!). At the NRA, we take pride in the fact that our Association is inclusive and invites the active participation of every member. Every member has an opportunity to voice any concern they may have at the Members Meeting. In fact, our greatest privilege is hearing from our members. Like many of you, that's why we were at the Members Meeting in the first place and spent countless hours on the convention floor.

Fact: During a board of directors meeting on April 29, Wayne LaPierre was elected by acclamation to continue serving as our CEO and Executive Vice President. The board also unanimously elected Carolyn D. Meadows to serve as our new president.

Perhaps looking for a way to counter the narrative about a stronger, more unified NRA, questions have now conveniently surfaced about our financial situation and our standing in the regulatory arena. There also have been frequent attacks on Wayne's personal character.

Fact: According to the NRA's chief financial officer, we are on budget in 2019. The NRA is meeting all banking and supplier financial obligations and we continue to aggressively manage our cost structure to offset the orchestrated and calculated attacks against NRA's finances in 2018. Put another way, our financial house is in order - we aren't going away.

We have full confidence in the NRA's accounting practices and commitment to good governance.

Fact: The Association's financials are audited and its tax filings are verified by one of the most reputable firms in the world. Internally, the Association has a conflict of interest policy and, where appropriate, related-party transactions are reviewed and approved by the board's Audit Committee.

Simply put, we are well-positioned on the regulatory front and poised to handle all challenges that confront us.

Personal attacks against the NRA's leaders are nothing new. Recent ones have focused on wardrobe purchases and travel expenses incurred by Wayne. If members hear of an allegation, they can be assured that it has been or will be addressed by the appropriate committees within our board of directors.

Fact: We have committees in place to oversee issues relating to Accounting, Legal Affairs, and Ethics, among others - and every board member is invited to attend these meetings. Please remember that all of us are elected by you - our members. We are not elected by Wayne or anyone on the NRA executive team. We serve as your elected representatives.

Fact: Over the years, Wayne had been advised by the NRA's advertising professionals to invest in his professional wardrobe due to his numerous public and media appearances. We understand that this was the same agency that facilitated the clothing purchases. What wasn't as evident in this "disclosure" is that the clothing expenses referenced in media reports dated back to expenses from 15 years ago! To put it in perspective, over this time period, Wayne has participated in thousands of events and hundreds of TV appearances, and personally directed fundraising efforts that total in the hundreds of millions of dollars. In any event, this practice was discontinued some time ago.

Fact: The vast majority of the travel in question involved donor outreach, fundraising, and stakeholder engagement. As an example, The Wall Street Journal reported that a trip to Italy was "tied to a 2015 documentary feature on the Italian gun maker posted on NRATV." Beretta, as you may know, is a major supporter of the NRA and our Second Amendment.

We are not inclined to further discuss unfounded attacks on our organization, political infighting, or a "weakened" NRA.

However, we will say this: Our adversaries will not divide us and any further discussion about the so-called "demise of the NRA" is only meant to distract us from our mission. This is how it goes when you stand on the bedrock of constitutional freedom - and represent the last line of defense against a campaign to take down the Second Amendment.

While board members may argue, and perhaps even disagree as to tactics, the support Wayne and the current leadership enjoys reflects our assessment of his past and future value to the association as well as our realization that our opponents know they have to take him down if they want to weaken the NRA.

As one NRA member recently said, the true story of the NRA won't be found in today's press clippings. It will be written in the history books.

Wayne has been standing shoulder-to-shoulder with all of us for most of his professional life. He has our support. A campaign to oust him failed - as the facts emerged, true motivations became apparent, and we agreed as to who should lead our fight for freedom. We are now moving forward.

Fact: We will confront our opponents, defend our values, and proudly continue our tradition as the greatest civil rights organization in the world.

Just like you, we care about the Second Amendment and our NRA. Just as you do, we know that our fights today are less for us and more for our children and our grandchildren. Just like you, we are all courageous foot soldiers in our fight for freedom. Every single one of us in this fight matters. The Second Amendment is where it is today because of all of OUR efforts. That's why you matter to our cause and our Association.

We are the NRA. United we stand. And together, we'll win.

Signed,

Carolyn D. Meadows
    President

Charles L. Cotton
    First Vice President

Lt. Col. Willes K. Lee USA (Ret)
    Second Vice President

Allan D. Cors
    Past President

James W. Porter
    Past President

David A. Keene
    Past President

Ronald L. Schmeits
    Past President

John C. Sigler
    Past President

Sandra S. Froman
    Past President

Kayne B. Robinson
    Past President

Marion P. Hammer
    Past President

Robert K. Corbin
    Past President
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

So, in other words, everything's coming up roses!

(No wonder I feel so glum. )
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Pro-gun regulatory action was effectively limited by not having an ATF director. If you see a confirmed director in the near future, that means a regulatory agenda is more possible.
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...police-1344970
    Last edited by joshs; 05-24-2019 at 07:24 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    So, in other words, everything's coming up roses!

(No wonder I feel so glum. )
    Imagine a young Kevin Bacon, wearing a ROTC uniform, reading that letter aloud and yelling “remain calm, there is no reason to panic.”

It’s an unconvincing plea for the peasants to put down their pitchforks.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    The NRA statement does read like a puff piece to be polite. The new president is not convincing, being pulled out of a hat, so to speak, by those under scrutiny.

About the new proposed head of the ATF, I find in a quick search mixed reports on the FOP regarding gun control measures. There's support for LEO carry and general 2nd Amendment rights. However, there seems to be support for the AWB and some interaction with Biden on coming up with the ban. Olympic Arms had some kind of dispute with them.

So specifically - can we point to statements from this gentleman that he supports:

1. NO more AWBs and opposes the state bans
    2. Supports the HPA and reciprocity. I recall the HR 218 dropped civilian reciprocity as that would kill it but the police higher ups said that the bill lead to it and they would support it. That never happened.
    3. Strong support for civilian shall issue carry.

I tried to find quotes but the net was a touch of crickets on finding these. Maybe someone else could. The FOP search froze up on me. Perhaps a member with a login could find an official statement on things like concealed carry and bans.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 05-24-2019 at 10:59 PM.

Rolling Stone article: https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...on-839628/amp/

So now we learn why the NRA has been spending up to $100,000/day at the law firm of Brewer Attorneys & Counselors. Brewer Attorneys & Counselors has opened an in-house PR firm to take over for Ackerman McQueen. Did I mention William A. Brewer III is the son-in-law of Angus McQueen? Oh yeah, these are the days of our lives!

The NRA can't just cancel its deal with Ackerman McQueen without paying massive cancelation penalties so AM is alleging that the NRA is making up its complaint about AM in order to terminate the partnership for cause, saving the NRA from paying termination fees.

User Tag List