Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Ollie North ousted from his NRA role

Thanks Tiffany, that was really well done. I’ve signed your letter, and I’m really heartened by your efforts.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    I'd love to add my name to your letter, but I'm putting my dues into the SAF & GOA until the NRA's swamp is drained and I see no option for "former NRA member."

PS: 72 board members? Seventy-two??
    Whatever you think about NRA's spending, how can you look at GOA's 990 and think that they are better? Almost $800k of their just over $2M dollar budget directly to their small number of staff members and directors. That's nearly 40 cents of every dollar that goes directly to a small staff. Also, their only noted contractor (Vote Rite Systems, that they reported paying $146,421 in 2017) happens to have as its president one of their board members: Gerry Ognibene. http://www.buzzfile.com/business/Vot...c-916-361-1577

If you give to ILA or NRA-PVF, we'll spend it like this: https://www.opensecrets.org/news/201...-push-in-2016/

If you don't want the money to go to candidates (or be potentially spent by ILA on their behalf) you can give to the Freedom Action Foundation. Those (c)(3) dollars will be used on voter registration, gun rights litigation, or educational campaigns like this one.

I realize I'm a biased source, but the info is all there.

Ohh, and we work with Gottlieb frequently on litigation (at least when we can agree on strategy :P) and we've also worked together fighting Washington state ballot initiatives, so I have no issues with SAF.

Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Thank you very much for the detailed reply. I appreciate the information and will be certain to send future contributions to ILA and PVF. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I sent money to NRA main organization, so it seems like what little money I have given has gone to where it would be used the best.

EDIT: So, I did think of one more question. Is there some arm of the NRA that is particularly tasked with outreach to gun-neutral populations? Strategically, it appears to me that the standard NRA battle plan is to energize the base and maximize the vote from the pro-gun community. While that has worked to some degree in the past, I worry that the pro-gun community will just be too small in 30 years. Hopefully, I'm overlooking something and there really is more effort on outreach than I'm aware of.
    Sorry for the delay in replying.

First, thanks for your continued support.

To answer you question, yes, there are things that we are doing to reach outside of the standard gun owner population (at least with political messaging). If you look at a lot of the public polling data, you'll see that there are certain themes that resonate with a very broad portion of the voting population. Specifically, the belief that people have an inherent right to protect themselves and their families. This actually does very well (even with non-gun owners). Take for example this ad. It did very well for us in 16.

Also, if you look at the longest running poll question about gun ownership, you'll see that gun ownership rates have been relatively flat for the last sixty years (there are inherent problems with asking this type of question. Since it's self-report, you can see the noise created by political pressure against gun owners). But, the long-term trend is basically flat. So, I think this means we should continue to be focused on growing the number of gun owners rather than being too focused on messaging to others. (Not that it's not also important).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    either what with being the only NRA paid state lobbyist...
    Just to be clear, we have quite a few salaried state lobbyists on staff. Somewhere between not as many as we want and a few . . . :P But, really, we have a staff lobbyist registered in every state. I guess if you were really bored and looked at every state's lobbying reports you could figure out the number.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Is there some arm of the NRA that is particularly tasked with outreach to gun-neutral populations? Strategically, it appears to me that the standard NRA battle plan is to energize the base and maximize the vote from the pro-gun community. While that has worked to some degree in the past, I worry that the pro-gun community will just be too small in 30 years. Hopefully, I'm overlooking something and there really is more effort on outreach than I'm aware of.
    The NRA has an Outreach Committee. I'm proud to be on it (assuming I get invited back [emoji4]). Latest project was implementing the new Roy Innis Award, which I'm happy to say was just posthumously awarded to Otis McDonald. Yay! [emoji3]

Unfortunately, almost no one on earth has a clue about that, except maybe the folks who were in the room at the Annual Meeting when it was announced. Instead, what they know about is Spokesperson Dana Loesch putting Ku Klux Klan hoods on cartoon trains, and President Carolyn Meadows saying a woman whose son was murdered only managed to win a seat in Congress because she's a "minority female," or Board Member Ted Nugent calling a Hispanic man "beanochimp" on social media. And to folks on the outside, that is the NRA. It's sucks and it's not fair. But that's the perception. I regret to report that those little PR snafus tend to stifle outreach efforts (and that's before you add in all the recent financial drama).

Some folks might be sick of hearing me blab about this (sorry), but IMHO, you've hit on the single biggest existential threat to 2A rights, period. We MUST do better at reaching out, or our community will keep shrinking to the point of irrelevance. And from where I'm standing, alienating huge swathes of people (think any demographic that isn't part of "the base") just doesn't look like a viable long-term strategy.

But hey, maybe that's why no one's hiring me as a strategist! [emoji4]

www.FrontSightPress.com
    www.CitizensSafety.com
    www.Rangemaster.com
    www.CitizensSafety.com | www.CitizensSafetyOnline.com
    | Learn more. Plan well. Fear less.|

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany Johnson View Post
    The NRA has an Outreach Committee. I'm proud to be on it (assuming I get invited back [emoji4]). Latest project was implementing the new Roy Innis Award, which I'm happy to say was just posthumously awarded to Otis McDonald. Yay! [emoji3]

Unfortunately, almost no one on earth has a clue about that, except maybe the folks who were in the room at the Annual Meeting when it was announced.
    Well, for the people who were there, I don't think there were many dry eyes in the room when Otis's family received the award on his behalf. While I sometimes think we have too many awards, this one was a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany Johnson View Post

Unfortunately, almost no one on earth has a clue about that, except maybe the folks who were in the room at the Annual Meeting when it was announced. Instead, what they know about is Spokesperson Dana Loesch putting Ku Klux Klan hoods on cartoon trains, and President Carolyn Meadows saying a woman whose son was murdered only managed to win a seat in Congress because she's a "minority female," or Board Member Ted Nugent calling a Hispanic man "beanochimp" on social media. And to folks on the outside, that is the NRA. It's sucks and it's not fair. But that's the perception. I regret to report that those little PR snafus tend to stifle outreach efforts (and that's before you add in all the recent financial drama).

Some folks might be sick of hearing me blab about this (sorry), but IMHO, you've hit on the single biggest existential threat to 2A rights, period. We MUST do better at reaching out, or our community will keep shrinking to the point of irrelevance. And from where I'm standing, alienating huge swathes of people (think any demographic that isn't part of "the base") just doesn't look like a viable long-term strategy.

But hey, maybe that's why no one's hiring me as a strategist! [emoji4]

www.FrontSightPress.com
    www.CitizensSafety.com
    www.Rangemaster.com
    I admire your fortitude in light of some of what you described above. I'd rather not think about how I might react to some of those displays of ignorance. The NRA is lucky to have you. If they have a lick of sense they'll keep it in mind. (Front and center.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Well, for the people who were there, I don't think there were many dry eyes in the room when Otis's family received the award on his behalf. While I sometimes think we have too many awards, this one was a great idea.
    Oh, I thought it was GREAT! An excellent roll-out. A very deserving inaugural recipient. And the fact that so many family members came really meant a lot.

I hope we start covering more stuff like that on NRATV instead of people in silly t-shirts swinging baseball bats at television sets.

www.FrontSightPress.com
    www.CitizensSafety.com
    www.Rangemaster.com
    www.CitizensSafety.com | www.CitizensSafetyOnline.com
    | Learn more. Plan well. Fear less.|

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Whatever you think about NRA's spending, how can you look at GOA's 990 and think that they are better? Almost $800k of their just over $2M dollar budget directly to their small number of staff members and directors. That's nearly 40 cents of every dollar that goes directly to a small staff. Also, their only noted contractor (Vote Rite Systems, that they reported paying $146,421 in 2017) happens to have as its president one of their board members: Gerry Ognibene. http://www.buzzfile.com/business/Vot...c-916-361-1577
    The GOA spends an average of $50k per employee vs $80k for the NRA (including benefits). The top GOA staff make not much more than the average NRA employee and 10x less than NRA brass.

I don't care if 100% of the funds go to employee compensation as long as the employees are working to protect the 2nd and aren't being paid extravagantly. I very much care when funds are largely spent trying to raise more funds, politicking in foreign countries, on extravagant executive vacations, and advancing irrelevant partisan politics.

If you give to ILA or NRA-PVF, we'll spend it like this: https://www.opensecrets.org/news/201...-push-in-2016/
    I'm not a Republican. If i wanted to support the Republican party or agenda, I would do so without a money sucking intermediary. I'd much rather my 2A funds be spent in the courts and in advertising campaigns against gun control measures - even if seemingly a lost cause. I was especially unhappy seeing funds spent supporting a presidential candidate who had previously pushed for increased gun control and still advocated stopping people "randomly" and taking their guns.

I certainly didn't see the NRA fighting for the rights of CCWers Philando Castile and Corey Jones - or even mentioning them in those hyped up fear mongering newsletters.

If you don't want the money to go to candidates (or be potentially spent by ILA on their behalf) you can give to the Freedom Action Foundation. Those (c)(3) dollars will be used on voter registration, gun rights litigation, or educational campaigns like this one.
    I'll look into it, but the NRA is so toxic right now I have a hard time supporting any subsidiary.

User Tag List